How can I sell online courses?

Healthbox
1 0 0

Hello

I am new to Shopify but not to web development. I am building a store that sells courses and hosts free courses. I have a couple of questions:

1. How can I list a course for free? I don't want to see £0.00 I just want it to say either 'free' or don't have any price info at all.
  2. How can I set-up the check-out process to send a link for these zoom courses upon purchasing or registering for them?
  3. How do I edit / amend confirmation emails? And can they be product (course) specific?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. 

Andy

0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
910 85 125

Hello, @Healthbox.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out.

I understand you're looking to sell and host courses, both free and paid, and I'll do my best to answer your questions using the same numbered format for clarity.  

1. You can list courses for free using our Digital Downloads app or any other third-party digital product app, such as Kable Digital Products or SendOwl. If you'd like to use Digital Downloads, we've also got a guide to help with setting that up - Shopify Help Center: Digital Downloads. If you need any help with a third-party digital product app, you can always reach out to the developer through contact information found in the Support section of their app's page. 

As for changing how the price is displayed, you can customize your theme to say free or hide the price info. If your store is subscribed to a plan and using a Shopify-supported theme, this may be something that our Theme Support can help you with. However, if you're using a third-party theme, you'll need to check with the theme developers or hire an expert to assist you with this. If you'd like to find an expert, you can find one on Shopify Experts

2. The apps I've suggested earlier will automatically send the download links when a product is purchased. You can also configure your order fulfillment settings for automatic, partial, or manual fulfillments. However, if your courses are more like a subscription (eg. ongoing memberships), then you may want to look at integrating with a subscription app as well.  

3. You can edit the notification templates for your store in the Notifications settings as well as the notification template for your digital products. For example, Digital Downloads offers a separate template through their app, which you can edit using Rich text editor. The Rich text editor is compatible with HTML content, so it is possible that they can be product-specific using conditional programming (eg. If-then-else). That being said, as this involves a significant amount of custom coding, it's not something that is supported by our design policy. If you're not comfortable with custom coding, then you'll also need to hire a developer to help you with.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes