Just launched our site, need some honest opinions, feel free to roast :)

Excursionist
28 0 4

Hello there!

We've just launched our womenswear brand e-commerce store and would like some constructive criticism, or just criticism is also fine, lay it on us. shoplaundromat.com

In particular, what do you think about our:

• User experience/ ease of use
  • Product page images/ layout/ info
  • Product pricing
  • Shipping terms 
  • General layout

Anything else that bothers you or is missing from the site.

I really appreciate your time and can't wait to see what you have to say!

Warmest regards,
Fatima

1 Like
Shopify Partner
14 0 5

Hey Fatima, 

Really love your site! I want to own every piece of your clothing line, truly. The photos are beautiful and I love how this theme showcases them.

I think the overall layout serves your products nicely. Your logo could be a bit larger, and you may want to condense some of the spacing in the footer! In mobile view, it takes awhile to scroll to products. Perhaps the lovely bio of the brand can be positioned below the featured products, above the footer? 

Wonderful work! 

Frankie 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pathfinder
100 6 19

Make your images on the product page one main image with other small images underneath that they can click on to open. That works better than having to scroll down the page to see the pictures. 

Make your images smaller so you dont have to scroll down to see all of the first image. 

Make your add to cart button a bright color. 

Add trust seals under the add to cart button

I'm not sure about in Australia but in the US a laundromat is a place where people go who can't afford their own washer and dryer or don't have one at their apartment. If that means the same in your country why would people be buying expensive dresses at a place named after a cheap washer and dryer place? 

There are many other things that need done to optimize your site for sales. You can google other sites in your niche and see what they are doing right or you can even hire someone on fiverr to tell you exactly what needs done. https://www.fiverr.com/share/EKYED

0 Likes
Trailblazer
151 8 31

Prices look rather expensive.  However, I'm not familiar with the making of the clothing you sell, and I know the AUD is not the same as USD.  Do you only sell in Australia?

The home page is too big, with the pictures taking up most of the space.  The text is a bit small in the logo (top left) and the FAQ area.  Also in the FAQ area, the text selection cursor (the double hooked vertical bar, not an arrow) shows up, so in hovering over a question I didn't know if it was clickable at first.  I initially thought it was not complete.  When I clicked to check, each one expands the text for the questions.  This may not be accessible for some in terms of visual reference.

Perhaps put the business story in a different place, or it could be a clickable and expanding paragraph.  Nice choice of font for the theme and store type.  The layout, overall, is a bit oversized.  It would also be optimal for each product that only one person is in the photo.  I cannot tell which product is displayed simply by looking at the photo, and this is a marketing consideration in addition to a brand-developing one.

0 Likes
Excursionist
28 0 4

Hello Frankie, 

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and reviewing the site. Your feedback was and encouragement was very helpful - could I also know how you feel about pricing and shipping/returns policy? If you had the time that would be very appreciated!

Hello Matt, 

Thank you for your advice - do you know much about SEO by any chance?

Hello Spiffy, 

Thank you for taking the time to reply - We'll be selling globally - prices should be displayed in USD if you are located in the US. Your advice and tips were very valuable - thank you for taking the time. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
14 0 5

Fatima, 

The prices are rather high, but certainly not unheard of. Reformation has similar price points, and it seems as though the quality is comparable. I am concerned about the additional prices involved with international orders. I fear that international customers will not "read the fine print" and assume they are covered with the final cost at checkout. 

Referencing this section of the Shipping & Returns page: 

"International orders may incur additional taxes, import charges, delays, duties and fees applied by customs in the country of destination. The customer is responsible for these costs.

Contact your local carrier or customs office prior to ordering if you have any questions or concerns.

Best of luck! 

Frankie 

1 Like
Trailblazer
151 8 31

@frankie-rae

When I read about international orders concerning customs, duties, and taxes, it primarily has to do with really specific types of items and much larger weights and prices (hundreds to thousands of lbs, and thousands of dollars).  Specific types of items includes shipping of large machine parts, items containing high levels of a particular rare or restricted substance, and a few other stipulations that I think don't apply to @Fatima1's store.  It would be smart to check.  However, I think most of the items in the store are similar to other apparel items in a slew of stores on the internet that sell internationally.  This kind of information needs to be made more readily available / easily accessible to e-commerce businesses.  It quickly gets complicated sifting through all the legal restrictions concerning shipping / taxes / etc.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
14 0 5

I really appreciate the insight you provided @spiffystack! I live in the US and rarely purchase outside of the States, but I have purchased clothing items from Korea before. As you mentioned, I never encountered any issues save the shipping taking twice as long (as to be expected).

1 Like
Trailblazer
151 8 31

Thanks for saying so, @frankie-rae.  I just read the CBP (Customs and Border Protection) web site about state sales tax on imported goods, and it said CBP doesn't collect state sales tax.  But certain states / cities occasionally request information from CBP in order to collect state sales tax.  If they're going to do that, then they should notify the state's consumers and businesses.  The fees charged by CBP are super small (less than 0.5%), and the article I read referenced the minimum amount of a fee could only be $25 for non-ship (boat) cargo, which means an item would need to be expensive enough that 0.35% of its price/cost is $25.  1% of 2500 is 25, so it would probably need to be around $4000 to incur that fee.  I think it is best to simply leave the tax charges out of it when starting an e-commerce store selling apparel, except for items priced in the thousands per single purchase.  Sales tax nexus is now an issue in about half the states in the US, and I think it is built into Shopify and other e-commerce platforms to calculate it at the customer's checkout.  At first, I thought it wasn't, and when I heard about nexus (tax paid according to the destination state), I almost stopped building my store entirely.  Even a brick-and-mortar store doesn't have to do the level of tax calculation that would require for an internet store.

1 Like
Excursionist
28 0 4

@spiffystack @frankie-rae

We have just started to encounter this issue. Essentially anything we ship valued from USD$1 onwards is subject to both customs duties and tax. If you are to ship items globally you need to research each country's De minimis value which differs for each country. This site has very helpful information:

https://www.shiprocket.in/blog/de-minimis-values-by-country/

So for example if I were to ship a USD$200 dress to Germany (from anywhere outside of Germany) - for the package to be released to the importer (the customer) she would have to pay: 

1. Customs duty (as the value is over 150euros) + 2. 19% VAT (as the dress value is above 22 euros). 

Two types of fees for her to receive her package. 

Everyone hates paying to release a package - so as a small (super small) business this is tough. I've heard you can use a courier service which includes the price of taxes and duties so the package is released immediately - but this means passing on cost to the customer - or reducing your margins. 

Thoughts are welcome :) 

0 Likes