Looking for feedback on my new store, BoardGamerStore

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 0

Hey everyone,

I have recently ported my old site over to the shopify platform. I would love to get peoples thoughts on what it looks like as I haven't had any sales yet and its been up for a week and has had 136 sessions. On top of moving to Shopify I have set up Facebook and Instagram accounts. I really want this to be my main income eventually.

I'm looking for advice on if I am using the right sales apps. What are my descriptions like, how does the site look. What do you think of the designs as they are all original.

I have reviews on the site as I imported the reviews from my old site, so I was hoping this one would start selling pretty quickly as it has some social proof already.

All help will be massively appreciated. I will do whatever you guys think is needed to get the site selling.

www.boardgamerstore.com

Thank you all in advance

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @mlboardgamer 

Few areas to work on 

• Home Page (Flow)
  • Footer Menu 
  • Site Navigation (simple)
  • Checkout (add logo / consistent with rest of website)

I also think you could use a better free theme. Checkout a review I did HERE 

Overall good start and its great you have reviews. That will really help. 

If you want a more detail free review shoot me a message HERE and I'll send that over to you. 

Cheers 

Clayton Bates 

Grab Most Detailed FREE Review --->LEARN MORE

Client VIDEO TESTIMONIALS --->VIEW

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
312 27 65

Hi, @mlboardgamer!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. Congratulations on moving your site over to Shopify!

First of all, I love your products. As a board game lover myself, I've always felt the apparel side of board games needs a bit of a boost! Good on your for tackling a niche area. With that, I've had a look at your store, and I hope I can give you some valuable advice to take your store to the next level.

Look and Feel
As Clayton suggested above, I think there's some work you can do on the overall look and feel of your website. This could be by use of another theme or further customizations to your current theme. You can have up to 20 unpublished themes in your store, including duplicates, so I would definitely play around with some of Shopify's free themes to see which one really helps your website stand out. You can check out our list of free themes here: http://bit.ly/2TTpYr4. I'd recommend looking at Minimal and Simple for your store.

The two separate announcement banners may also cause confusion. You've got one telling your customers about free shipping, and another with a discount offer. Have a think about whether one of these could be relocated to your homepage feed, or if they could be combined into one banner.

On your contact page, have a look at adding in an expected timeframe for responses (i.e. We aim to respond within 24 hours), just to set expectations with your customers.

Your Footer
There is a bit of work to do here. The footer is the best place to have your store policies, contact details and anything not directly related to "buying products". At the moment, you don't have any policies, which may cause customers to leave the site. At the moment, they don't know shipping timeframes or areas you ship to and if you accept returns/refunds. Shopify has a policy template generator built right into your admin under Settings > Legal. You can generate templates and add them to your footer menu so your customers know their rights and expectations. To learn more about adding in some policies, check out this guide.

Marketing
What kind of marketing activities are you doing at the moment? Are you marketing to the right audience? These will have huge factors into your converted sessions. When you're marketing, think about who you want your customers to be! Think about:

• What age demographic am I looking for?
  • What country/regions are my customers most likely to be from?
  • What are my customers' interests?

If you narrow these down to the right customers for your products, you're on your way to a winning formula.

Also, utilize the massive market provided by Facebook and Instagram. Build yourself a loyal following using those platforms. It's more than just spending money to market to people, but more about spending the money to market to the right people, who will be repeat customers and speak well of your business.

Apps
Only our live support teams are able to delve into specifics of a store, so I am unable to look at your sales apps to see which ones you're using. That being said, have a look at some other websites to see how they manage popups, sale notifications, and even their marketing. What can you take from what you see, and implement into your store? The prize wheel on your store is a great addition and can certainly build a buzz with your customers.

I hope this has given you some ideas to really build up your site and gain traction for new and returning customers. We're always here to help, so please reach out if you have any questions at all!

Cheers!

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 0
Thanks you so much for taking the time look at my site and give me some valuable feedback. 

It's funny how you can get so involved in a project that you start to not see it properly. You stare at your site for hours everyday, but you don't see the issues that other people see straight away. I will have a look at making the suggested changes today. I will also look at changing themes. 

I have all my privacy policies, shipping and all that, it's just they only exist on the checkout page. Will get that sorted to. 

The funny thing is my last website was so bad compared to this one in its current state, I have no idea how I ever sold anything. 

Keep the suggestions coming everyone.  So glad I found this forum. 
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
1208 60 359

Hi there! Maggie, Shopify Expert here :) 

Your store looks great and you have a defined niche you stick with, perfect. Your top menu is user-friendly and simple to navigate, which is excellent.

Featured hero image - consider linking it to one of your collections to improve conversion rate. Also add a CTA [call to action], such as a “Shop Now” button to prompt people to click it and shop. It will help you improve your sales funnel and conversion rate.

Social media - make sure to open the icons on your website in new tabs, so you don’t lose valuable traffic. Please check this helpful guide: https://help.shopify.com/en/themes/customization/navigation/open-external-links-in-new-browser 

Consider adding more content to the homepage to keep people browsing for longer - more products, promo banners, slideshows etc. The longer people stay on your website, the higher the chance of them making a purchase. It’s also better for SEO - longer dwell time.

Collection page - consider displaying three items per row instead of five:

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 07.44.27.png

It will make the product images bigger, reduce the clutter and help your visitors see each design separately. Having too many items in a row makes the designs blend together, which can affect your conversion rate.

You can easily change the number of items on display by going to your Theme editing section and selecting a Collection page to edit.

The product page looks really good. I noticed the only place you mention Shipping is on the product page, however you don’t have this policy in your footer. Consider adding it here as well - people often want to find the delivery rates before browsing products, which will help you improve your conversion rate.

Consider also adding a delivery rates table - it will give a lot of confidence to your shoppers. At the moment you don’t mention how much you charge per shipping, or whether you ship worldwide or only within the UK. That can actually put some of the shoppers off the purchase, as they wouldn’t want to go through the checkout, share their personal details to find at the end the delivery charge is higher than they thought. Adding simple to understand delivery pricing table will help you significantly improve sales.

Return policy - make sure to add this page as well. You can include here info on how long is your policy, how can people return their items, can they return used products, how will you deal with items lost in the post etc. See How to write a returns policy [with examples].

Consider adding more written content to the website - ideally on a regular basis. Google loves written content, so blogging regularly can help you improve your SEO. Blogging is powerful - it helped me get to Google page #1 in only four days with this blog post: Breadcrumbs in SEO

Your SEO score is 52/100

Your Google snippet [meta title and meta description] feels like a string of keywords:

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 07.55.52.png

Consider optimizing it further. Make sure not to go over the character allowance in your meta description [160 characters] to make your listings stand out with an offer and call to action. This snippet is very important, and it’s worth spending more time optimizing it.

It’s often the first interaction with a potential new customer, as this snippet is displayed in Google search results. Make sure it’s inviting and irresistible so people click your listing once they see it. Otherwise Google might drop it as non-relevant to the search results, which will affect your traffic and SEO. Let me know if you’d need help writing irresistible, well converting Google snippets for your websit....

Your homepage is missing vital H1 tag:

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 07.58.13.png

Also, make sure to use the H tags in the right order: H1-H2-H3-H4 and so on.

Image alt tags - make sure to add descriptive SEO friendly alt tags to each new image you upload:

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 07.59.24.png

That’s a great way to improve your SEO [Google will be able to understand what each image represents] and make your website more accessible for the users who browse with images switched off.

Your website loads in under 2 seconds, which is excellent, but there’s also a room for improvement:

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 08.00.36.png

Here are a few guides that might help:

Looking for a more detailed critique? Reserve your website audit here: https://www.rockpapercopy.com/critique 

Best regards,

Maggie

Shopify Expert | Ecommerce SEO Wizard

Rock Paper Copy 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1958 124 434

Hey Board Gamer Store,

"The first impression is probably the last one". So, In order to bridge the gap between attracting traffic and receiving sales on your ecommerce store, you need to work on certain important aspects mentioned below as follows:

1. Variety in payment gateways apart from "Gpay" and "Paypal" would help in offering different options to the customers to pay according to their requirements thus improving customer engagement.
  2. Desire your information to be more secure! "Login" account is an efficient solution and it helps in keeping a track of your order details as well.
  3. Once added, it should be placed on the top right of the header along with all other sidelinks like the Search bar, Cart etc.
  4. Want to increase your site popularity! add "New Arrivals" and "Bestsellers" to it and help to keep your customers updated regarding the latest store designs and product updates as well.
  5. "Branding" can be more effective once you start adding other social links as well apart from Facebook and Instagram like Twitter, Linked In etc.
  6. Add terms and conditions and FAQ’s if any, again as these also help in building search engine content.
  7. Site legitimacy can be increased by adding "Trust Badges" near the site footer.
  8. Contact details like email address, phone no etc should be present in the "Get In Touch" section.
  9. "About us" section should certainly be descriptive. Add some images and a little more description to make it look more detailed.
  10. You can also install one of the most popular app Growwave which is all in one marketing platform that helps store owners increase conversions with ease.
  11. Finally, I would also recommend replacing the default search with an advanced search like Sparq which allows synonyms, advanced custom tag filters, spelling correction, and other such features. Visitors with search are high intent users and their conversion rate is higher than normal users.
    Check out the features live here
    You can use Sparq free trial for as many products in your store. After the trial period, you can enjoy with Sparq’s Free Starter Plan for upto 1000* products.

I hope that the store's capability of converting visitors to customers increases shortly.

Neha :)

Sparq is a fast and beautiful product filter and search solution for Shopify store owners. It allows store owners to add a custom tag, metadata, or variant based filters on their collection page and upgrade their default search to an extremely fast, more user-friendly and feature-rich search.
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
386 34 156

Hi @mlboardgamer 

It looks like you have been putting a lot of time and effort into the site design. I like the fact that you care about the functionality of your app and user-friendliness by adding various functions. However, I am afraid they are hurting the overall look of the pages. Let's get into details

-The wishlist button on the product page look s a little random. It could have been better place underneath the buy now button and have the same size, without the counter.

-On the collection page, there are a couple of images that have a different size than others. I recommend using one sizing standard for all. 

-Implement an opportunity to log in and sign up using Social Media account. We all have accounts at least in one social media. And if I have an opportunity to create an account just with one click, I will do it. having an easier way to Sign in will help you gather customer base. The most valuable thing for a company is the customer

- Take a look at our app Growave for Reviews, Wishlist, Social Sharing, Social Login, Instagram + 5 more marketing tools to start selling. It is fully adjustable and can be seamlessly blended with your site. 

Hopefully, I managed to help you. If so please let me know by liking this post. 

The best of luck!

Growave is the all-in-one marketing platform that has
- Visual Reviews with automated emails
- Loyalty&Rewards
- Wishlist
- Instagram
- Social Sharing + more 

Increase conversions with ease here
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 0

Hey everyone.

I have spent the last hours or so making some of the suggested changes to my store.

Im overwhelmed by how helpful every has been so far. This is an amazing community.

So far I have sorted the SEO stuff like adding a H1, chaning my home page title and meta description. Cant work out why one image doesnt have an Alt Tag and I cant work out how to add Keywords to the Venture theme I am using. If anyone knows how to do this then instructions would be useful.

I also cant work out how to make my collection pages display 3 products per row instead of 5. Again, help with this would be useful.

I will also be changing my main images to all be the same size. I'm considering changing all of my main images to be the same close up of someone wearing the tshirt/hoodie. I will keep the current images but they will just be in the product page.

I am going to also check out Growwave and the other app mentioned.

I am not going to change my theme at this point. I prefer this theme to the others mentioned, but if 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 0
Loads of changes made if anybody fancies a look www.boardgamerstore.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 0
Can someone please have a look at my store changes and give me some feedback please.
0 Likes