Looking for feedback on our new shop 'Tomorrow's People'

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

Hello shopify community, 

we are two bicycle full-time travellers and after working one year in bigger cities with our street shop, we want to expand online and I kindly ask you for some feedback on our first store.

https://tomorrowspeople.de

(how important it is to have a www. domain in your opinion and should we change it?) 

Beside paintings that we sold on the street, we added printings of the paintings, travel photo prints and T-Shirts, Pullovers & Accessories. 

Before we start advertising it on Facebook, we could need your feedback!

Thanks,

Jannik and Isabel

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
486 26 98

Hi @tomorrowspeople 

There are a couple of things I might consider adding to your store, but overall good work

After looking I couldn't find a FAQ section. Adding an FAQ section to your store can help your customer more easily be able to find a solution to their problems without asking you. This will help long into the future so you don't need to spend so much time on customer support

Another thing you might want to add is a blog. A blog could be used to drive more traffic to your store, and you could also use it to recommend potential products that your customer could buy.

You might consider adding reviews. If you add reviews it will help keep your customers on your site. If your customer needs to leave your site to do research on a product they might not come back, adding reviews can help with that.

Nice job on your all of your hard work so far, and I'm sure that just a few minor changes will really help.

Just so you know, I also created a tiny email series that has some tips on making your shopify store better https://mailchi.mp/7d8692283c12/shopify-conversion-course

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
359 30 59

Hello, Jannik and Isabel!

This is Ren from the Shopify support team, I'd love to offer some feedback for your new online store. I just want to start by saying that I really love the beautiful images offered on your website and I know if I ever stumbled upon your street show I would certainly feel compelled to buy a piece of art. I love your story in the About Us section and would love to see you ad a photography of yourselves - the artists! It would create help make your brand feel more personal. 

To answer your question, in short - no. The subdomain (www) is not necessary and tends to be the more modern way to present a web address. 

I took some time to review the website and will share my thoughts on things you might consider adjusting or fine tuning since overall you've done a wonderful job of putting the website together. 

One of the key things I'd like to point out is while you have all of this beautiful imagery, the website would benefit from weaving in your mission statement. You have a rich story and I feel like it can be used to your advantage. Sometimes a fresh template can help inspire a visual story - check out these options that have been optimized for art and photography websites. 

I would also recommend taking any of the written parts of your website and running it through a spellcheck program (like Grammarly).

I noticed your photography is all titled with where they were taken. It might be a good idea to categorize the images by place in your menu! This can help customers narrow down what they're looking for and also assist you in targeted marketing on Facebook!

What's the story behind the logo? Since it's featured on your apparel, I'd love to know more about it's significance! Here's a blog post on How to Sell Art to help inspire you. 

I hope that helps! Where do you see your online business in the future? What are you hopes and expectations as you begin advertising on Facebook? Would love to hear your thoughts! 

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
1062 50 316

Hi Jannik and Isabel! Maggie, Shopify Partner here :)

You have a great story behind your brand, which will appeal to many people. You are still working on your website, and I’d recommend telling your story on your site - people will be more likely to connect and engage with you this way, and then take an interest in your products. The store at the moment looks a little too generic to really stand out, however with injecting your story into the content [with photos of you two, photos of your journey, you at work], your conversion rate will improve.

Your logo is really great, although it takes a lot of space on the page:

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 07.29.15.png

Consider reducing its’ size - the website content will automatically lift and people will be able to see more of it “above the fold” - area without scrolling down.

The images in the sliding banner feel unrelated to your products, or your brand - the generic nature photos don’t reflect the cycling branding, or the T-shirts you offer below. They don’t have any tagline or a CTA [call to action] asking people to shop and linking to your products, so they do little in terms of converting visitors into shoppers. 

Consider uploading here good quality images of your products, so people will see right away what you are offering. Make sure to add a short tagline, such as “Shop our handmade bicycle range T-shirts”, and a CTA button “Shop now”. This is a great way to introduce your store and invite people to click further. 

As I scroll down I can see that you are offering photography products as well - however, it’s not an immediate clue that jumps into mind as you land on your homepage - that’s why a strong intro + CTA is needed to engage with your first-time visitors and allow them to browse further.

You have plenty of featured products on your homepage, which is excellent.

About us page has an engaging story - it can definitely help you connect with your target audience and boost a conversion rate. This page is perfect for building trust. Trust plays a huge role for online shoppers - people love to know who they are buying from and a great About us page can help you earn extra points and improve your conversion rate. Make sure to add a photo of yourself and your team and tell your visitors some interesting fact about each of the team members. 

Also, make sure to SEO optimize each page on your website with SEO friendly H tags, internal and external links, compress the images, add alt tags and link tags, add Geotags, optimize Google snippets, make your URLs SEO friendly and more. It’s essential to optimize your website from the very start [or as early as possible] to help you rank quicker for your target keywords. If you’re not sure how to do it, please check this FREE video course: How to SEO your website and get to Google #1 in 3 Months.

Contact us page - consider adding a short paragraph here too. Few sentences such as: “Contact us now with any questions. Email us at [your email address] or fill in the form below and press “Send message”. We will get back to you within 24 hours.” will feel more personal and be inviting for people to reach out and contact you. 

Blogging - you have a perfect niche for blogging. Consider writing articles regularly - you can talk about your recent travels, upload inspirational photos, tell how you made money when traveling around Europe etc. This is a great way to keep your visitors on the website for longer, and also to get more traffic from Google from people interested in these topics. 

Blogging is powerful - it helped me get to Google page #1 in only four days with this blog post: Breadcrumbs in SEO. I discuss how to write articles that rank on page #1 in my Facebook group 30 Days 2 Page 1 - join it now!

Your collection page looks excellent - consider also having three items per row instead of five:

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 07.48.31.png

It will give your products more premium feel, which will further improve your conversion rate:

Untitled design (8).png

Your prices are a little confusing - almost identical T-shirts are priced either 19.99, 24.99 or 27.99 - which feels like you don’t have a consistent pricing strategy, you just test different prices to see which one works - that can definitely be off-putting for potential customers. I recommend having consistent prices - for men’s and ladies T-shirts, as it will further build your trust as a reliable retailer.

Your Shipping page is a general store policy with a small paragraph about shipping - consider writing a separate shipping policy here with detailed delivery rates for each of your product types: clothing, prints, and paintings. Don’t expect that people will do the hard work themselves - go through the checkout, input all of their personal details, just to get the shipping rate calculated at the very end. No one will be willing to do that - make sure to make it easy for your customers to find the delivery rates to their location for the product they are about to buy - it will not only improve your user experience, but also your conversion rate [sales]. The more you delight your customers, the more likely they will choose you over your competitors. 

Social media - make sure to open the icons on your website in new tabs, so you don’t lose valuable traffic. Please check this helpful guide: https://help.shopify.com/en/themes/customization/navigation/open-external-links-in-new-browser 

You only have two videos on youTube, uploaded 6 months ago - so consider removing this channel from your website - otherwise people will have an impression your business is no longer in operation. 

Your Instagram and Facebook profiles have excellent content and are being updated regularly, which is perfect.

Your SEO score is 51/100

Your meta title and description [Google snippet] is very generic:

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 07.58.40.png

It doesn’t mention what you are selling, which means you could be ranking in completely wrong search results. Consider running your keyword research again to pick the ones related to the products you’re currently offering, and update your Google snippet and website content with more specific, relevant keywords, to rank in the relevant searches and bring the traffic most likely to convert. You’d want to rank in the search results, where people are looking for cycle-theme apparel and prints, and the right keywords will help you do that.

Your heading structure [H tags] looks great, although I’d recommend adding more specific [cycle-related] keywords here too:

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 08.01.16.png

Consider working on your content consistency as well, to rank for more specific, niche-related phrases:

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 08.02.10.png

Some of your URLs are not SEO friendly:

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 08.03.05.png

It’s important to fix them now, as you are starting out, as changing URLs later, when you are more established and have more backlinks, will results with ton of error pages. See how to make your URLs more SEO friendly in this free video guide: https://youtu.be/4V-jFWoGFd4

Consider adding Google Analytics to measure where your traffic is coming from, which are the best converting sources, and where you should focus more with your marketing:

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 08.03.42.png

Your website loads quite slow - in 4.71 seconds:

Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 08.04.26.png

That can definitely affect your user-experience, SEO and conversion rate - there seem to be few coding elements that affect your website speed, so I’d recommend fixing them asap as Google will not be likely to show your website high in the search results if it doesn’t rank super fast [in less than 2 seconds].

If you’d like to make the above changes and optimize your website for conversion, please invest in a full website redesign + SEO package here: https://www.rockpapercopy.com/ecommerce/

However if you only need advice on how to take your business to the next level, you can book your business consultation now: https://www.rockpapercopy.com/consultation/

If you liked this website critique, and would like to request a review of your own store, please click here now: https://www.rockpapercopy.com/critique/ 

Best regards,

Maggie

Shopify Partner | Ecommerce expert

Rock Paper Copy  

maggie@rockpapercopy.info 

If you found these tips useful, please leave a 5* review on my TrustPilot profile. Thank you!

✅ Get complete website audit | Click here: https://www.rockpapercopy.com/critique/

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

Hello Ren, 

thanks a lot for the constructive feedback, it brought me a lot of new ideas!

We will definitely work out all of these points the next days!

We want 'Tomorrow's People' to become a big movement. In the future, we will offer services like guided bicycle travels, guided "get-ready-packages (how to organize and design your own bicycle travel" and organized group travels. We will offer informations about how to travel in a sustainable way and still have lots of fun, nature, relaxation, good food and all around a good time.

At moment we are building up a community of people who are living this lifestyle, it will grow to a bigger network to make it more easy to connect with each other.

Let's come back to what we want now: We want to bring attention to the project and the idea behind. We want to spread the movement, sell the merchandise to finance further steps to make the project grow bigger and better. At moment we live by really few, I would also appreciate to have an own room from time to time in the future and buy me the best looking fruits whenever I want. It would also improve our working quality. 

As soon as I worked out all the points, I'll get back here and ask for another review, if that is fine?

Thanks 

Jannik Olmo

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

Hello Maggie, 

thanks for the overwhelming feedback. There is still a lot of work to do and I appreciate that you are guiding me in the right direction!

I will work out all of the points you mentioned before we will bring the site to the puplic and I hope I can ask for another review, when we are done.

Thanks

Jannik Olmo

0 Likes