Looking for feedback on our newly optimized website

tealmig
Tourist
5 0 2

We've had our website up for several years but only recently have we gone through with a fine tooth comb & tried to iron out as many navigation, speed, UX/UI & other formatting display issues with the blogs, pages, apps & collections. If anyone has any feedback on the general layout/navigability of our site that would be greatly appreciated. 

It's mainly an Ecommerce site but we do a lot of content production & product info that is also important. If anyone has any additional questions/concerns on this please let me know & I'll be happy to help! 

Here is a link to the site: https://www.hamelin.store/ 

Thanks so much!  

Hi!

Your site looks great overall! It feels clean, and I'm loving the bold primary colors. The product info is detailed and informative, and grabs my attention.

Something that feels a bit cumbersome though, is that it's hard for me to view all the products at once and compare. I have to scroll to the bottom of the home page to view all collections. Additionally, on the notebooks and flashcards page (both), I have to hover over each item to see details (price, size, color). I think the navigation on the side is great if I come in with a specific product in mind, but a little tiring if I'm browsing and trying to decide what I might like to get.

Also, I would definitely recommend reorganizing the nav bars. First, having two nav bars doesn't feel very intuitive for me personally. It overwhelms me with choice and doesn't particularly guide me to the products OR your content. Second, social handles in the corner where the logo/home page usually is, threw me off. When I wanted to navigate back from the flashcards to the home page, I had to stop for a second to figure it out.

As for the Be Noteworthy campaign, perhaps you could label it as #BeNoteworthy and also add some details about what the campaign involves, or how one can get involved?

I think your store and site look VERY nice, and just need a few tweaks in making the UX a bit smoother!

Building communities @ ModeMagic and Mason!

- Was my response helpful? Click Like to let me know.
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution.
puneet_unbundl
Excursionist
34 3 9

Hi Teamlig,

This is Puneet from unbundl.

First of all the new UI looks clean and have a colorful element attached to it. It is soothing to eyes and a delight to scroll.

Lately I have started seeing websites with a mobile first approach. Since last year, all our clients see more than 80% of traffic coming in from mobile devices. We had also started advising to build for mobile.

I gave your website a look from this critical angle:

• Favicon: I not sure if it is represents your brand properly
  • "Be Noteworthy" banners looks too small on mobile. It could be easily dismissed for Notebooks sections.
  • In the collections page:
    Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 12.46.37 AM.png
    • The product titles are very heavy. Due to long product titles and bold font, the elements are obtrusive
    •  "3 reviews" should be in 1 line
    • Personally I would want price to be little larger
    • Filters are almost at the face of the user. It could put into another accordion, for customers to click as per requirement
  • Product Page:
    • Larger bolder product price
    • Add to cart buttom should be above the descriptiom
    • More prominent color for Add to cart button
    • Stick Add to cart is always a plus
    • Write description in bulleted manner to increase readability 
    • Related items at bottom is not showing properly

I hope I was helpful to you

LuckyDanny
Shopify Partner
295 58 183

Hey there, @tealmig!  

There’s no time like the present to optimize your website, and it’s always exciting to have that opportunity to address the issues you see.

What methods are you using? Visitor behavior would be a huge benefit here. While there are great tools to analyze the site speed, other aspects really need to be addressed by your visitors themselves.

Before we dive into the site itself, I need to address one really big issue: How much do your visitors know about your website? If you’re attracting new visitors who know very little about your brand or products, you’re missing out here. In the first 10 seconds of being on your site, I don’t know why I should #BeNoteworthy or what makes your products different. 

That’s a huge missed opportunity! This is a clear example of needing to go further. Educate and engage to really drive that traffic. Use a scroll heatmap, which shows you how far down the page people scroll, to see what information people see on your homepage. What do they miss? Follow-up with a click heatmap to see where they are clicking. 

Now, let’s move to your website.

Optimize your header bar and main navigation

Your pseudo-announcement bar is really heavy. As a result, you have essentially two main navigation instead of one, and that’s not very helpful. It makes it hard to find your products.

A new navigation may look like Home | Notebooks | Flashcards | Get the App | Learn the Hamelin difference.

Use session recordings, which capture every visitor’s experience on your website, to see how they move around your store. What do they click? What are they not clicking? 

The issue with your current header/main navigation is that your announcement bar gets buried. I didn’t even notice it. It doesn’t stand out, and it’s also not linked. That means your visitors are missing out. 

Focus on one hero image
Instead of a rotating hero image, focus on one that shows your product in motion. I would suggest running a survey to see what your visitors and customers think adds the most value to your products. 

Is it paper quality? Is it your Scribzee app? Is it the fact that you don’t need special pens to make it work? 

Take that insight and turn that into an attention-grabbing hero image with a CTA. While your hero images are clickable, no one knows that.  

Analyze visitor behavior across your entire homepage
That survey is going to really help you see where there is a knowledge gap and what values you should focus on. While the video is cute, it may not mean much for people who are buying it for a different reason. 

The same goes with the lower part of your homepage. It gets long. Do you need to have a “Designed in France” feature? Should you add the blog on the homepage? Turn to your scroll heatmap to find out. While this content may be good, it may not be needed on the homepage. 

Refocus your footer
The order of your “About” is off. Look at your click heatmap to see where people are clicking and order it as such. Think of an order like: Contact, Return and Refund Policy, Shipping Policy, Privacy Policy, Sustainability, Mission, History, and Press. Typically visitors want to hear more about your policies and contact methods than your history. 

Other things:

• Your Shipping Policy needs some formatting help. It also needs some links to be linked.
  • Your Return and Refund Policy needs an easier-to-read function. I’m behind formal and legal policies, but a return and refund policy needs to be easy to read as well. If a visitor wants to know how long they have to return a product, this wouldn’t help them. 
  • Add value to your newsletter. Why would someone want to sign up today?

Rethink your promotions strategy

Your newsletter pop-up is a great start, but it needs to go further. The design is way too basic and boring, and you haven’t given them a reason to sign up if they can shop on your promotions page. Remember that people don’t know whether they want to buy from you, so you’re going to have to do more to get them to sign up.

Speaking of the promotions page, do people go to it? When I saw it, I was kind of shocked. This wasn’t a page of promotions as much as it was an all collections page. The promotions are hard to read and difficult to identify what is a bundle and what’s not. I can’t imagine this would be a very good experience for your visitors.

Rethink your collections
As the father of three girls, I’ve learned that color is apparently a big deal during back-to-school shopping. If I take them to pick out notebooks, we’re inevitably going to sit in the aisle for 10 minutes while they each decide which color of purple or pink is the best. 

I mention this because your products are listed individually. Instead, group them together and give visitors an option to switch between the colors from the same product page. As a result, this may change how you group the collections themselves. Instead of four collections for notebooks, one would suffice. 

Explore the product page experience
Add in shipping costs. You have a great shipping policy, so reiterate it by the price. Also, highlight your Add to Cart with a brighter button. I get that you want people to get a bundle, but it makes it easy to miss the Add to Cart.

Now, the big issue here - you have so many brand-specific names thrown into your description like OPTIK PAPER and SCRIBZEE. I would almost add a separate FAQ page just for those technologies that you can link out. You want to make it easier to read, personable and less lingo-filled. 

Reconsider your shipping deal
I’m not sure your free shipping is going to attract more customers. It’s free after $35. However, your standard shipping is $5. If I only need two notebooks ($20), a third notebook wouldn’t take me to the free shipping, and it would cost less to use your standard shipping. 

Look at your customer statistics to see how much they really spend. Do they usually only buy 2 notebooks? One? Five? Look at that data to analyze how much you should start for free shipping. If your average customer buys two notebooks, consider dropping that free shipping limit to $25 for a limited-time offer. A third notebook would send them into free shipping, and it may make more sense to them. 

Lastly, make contact easier
I like your contact page, and I give you a gold star for linking your email address in your footer. Where I ding you is the Message Us button in the lower right corner. It’s so small and blends in too much.

You want something that stands out and doesn’t require a Facebook account. You want to keep visitors on your website to answer their questions.  I always suggest finding a tool that has auto chat invites that let you set up triggers that launch a chat invite when someone appears to be struggling. It’s pretty effective at saving the sale. 

To sum it all up, you need to be proud. You do have a nice website here. Now you need to take it to the next level by using your visitors and their experience to drive your next changes.  Lucky Orange has heatmaps, session recordings and more with a free trial (no credit card needed) and plans that start at US $10/month.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Cheers - Danny

Proud to be a Shopify Plus Partner

- Was my response helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
EcomGeeks
Shopify Partner
1002 137 329

Hey @tealmig,

HOMEPAGE BANNER
That main banner area is prime real estate for selling.  One of the keys of selling is getting inside your customers head, what problem do they have that you can solve? Or what is it that they desire that you provide? Use words or phrases that they do to show that you understand their needs. We recommend using this type of text in your banner. For the format, we recommend having a professional photo of your products, a title introducing your brand or product, a line of text underneath that expands on your title and a call to action button such as "Shop Now". Here is an example:

EcomGeeks_0-1625765135293.png

NAVIGATION
I found it a little difficult to click the links in your navigation bar, they seems to be very particular about where you click. Some clicks produce no change (for example, if you are viewing flash cards and then click on notebooks, there is no change, you need to click 2x), other clicks give you a dropdown and other clicks get you to the products page. 

Another thing is that you are in a need of a Home link.

I'd also recommend switching the order of your links, put "About Us" after your products instead of before.

ADD TO CART
I would recommend have a short description and an "add to cart" button underneath each of your listings (same goes for your notebooks as well). For a lot of products you typically need to click on the product and read the description before you decide to purchase, however, the flashcards are pretty straightforward, if the visitor can see the size and the color they need, they are ready to purchase. This will eliminate the number of clicks the visitor has to make to add the products to their cart. 

hamelin-02.png