Looking for honest no holds barred opinions

Highlighted
11 0 0

Started our store about 3 months ago and I'm getting frustrated spending money on facebook, seeing traffic then very little conversions.  I know 1400 visits since inception with a pitiful 0.34% conversion rate isn't a lot but it makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong either with my facebook / instagram ads or with the store itself.  I have a domain name, paid for a logo and thought the store looked decent so I'm wondering if it's that I'm just not getting enough traffic or it's the products or prices or both.  The theme of the store is outdoor/athleisure.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

www.superiorshoppe.ca

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
72 0 8

Ok, what the f*ck is going on with your business? lol I mean that light-heartedly but really, I land on your home page and see your awesome logo that says adventure and outdoors and I see great photography that says this same thing.

Awesome, so far so good. I like the consistent brand message that is going on here of adventuring in the outdoors and seeing the world.

Then I scroll down and see some retarded marble toy, a women's beanie, and some leather handbags? WHAT?!?!?!? Am I going to go kayaking with my marble toy and carry my tent in my leather handbag?

Then I look at your clothing tab hoping things would get better and what do I find? Some bras............

"Oh look, a gear tab!" "Maybe there is some actual outdoor gear here!" 

So I click on climbing. Being a retired mountain climber, my interest was peaked and you had a zip line trolly.. Again, WHAT?!?!?!?!?

I could go on and on but I don't really want to because it is getting late. You are lacking brand consistency and a strong business model with a unique selling point, value proposition and a problem that you are solving for people.

Stop spending money on advertising pronto. You need to start an actual business to be successful, not just throw some shitty Aliexpress products on a website and run traffic to it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
11 0 0

Lol .Alrighty then. I guess you're seeing the effect of watching too many get tons of get sales quick YouTube videos.  Thanks for the candor and the laugh. I think I kind of knew this in my heart but you know "the guy said just find a product and milk it". Stupid I know.  

What are good alternatives to AliExpress?  Honestly I don't really want to be peddling Chinese crap anyways.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
72 0 8

Answer these questions:

What are you passionate about in your personal life?

What are your pain points in this area?

Then Do This:

1. Think of 4 solutions to these pain points.

2. Go talk to other people with the same passion and pitch your solutions to them. 

3. Get their feedback and change your solution around.

4. Pitch again. 

5. Develop your minimum viable product.

6. Go sell this to those people that said it was a good idea.

7. If they do not buy, ask them why

8. Make adjustments

9. Lay out your value proposition and develop your unique selling point.

10. Develop your beachhead market

11. Test this market with an initial round of marketing

12. Tweak things until it works

13. Full launch and never stop testing.

1 Like
Highlighted
11 0 0

This is gold, thank you.  One thing I'm doing is starting to use the blog and make ourselves more real by blogging about our own adventures.  I think the idea being to make us more real and trustworthy.  Do you think it's worthwhile to use the blog feature in shopify?

Do you have any ideas on where to find decent products without that made in china feel?  Knowing that people can just look at my products then just go find them on Aliexpress seems like I'm just marketing for Aliexpress for free.  I'm a total newb with retail so I have no idea where to look for a good distributor.  Or for the sake of getting things off the ground should I just stick with Aliexpress or similar (Oberlo suppliers) and when the store has decent following and momentum look for decent alternatives to boost my margins?

0 Likes
Highlighted
11 0 0

One more thing in terms of product selection, should I flesh out the store fully knowing that many of the products may not even sell but just to have a full compliment of products in each category?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
72 0 8

Just work through the list that I made for you. Make your own product. Don't do drop shipping. Drop shipping has the highest failure rate for a reason.

Find a problem and set out to solve it. This is what entrepreneurs do. They solve problems, not sell things.

0 Likes
Highlighted
11 0 0

So develop a better tent peg?  Lol.  So you're esssentially saying that retail is a suckers game at this point in time?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
72 0 8

If you see a problem with tent pegs, yes... Is that the problem that you have with camping? Kind of a silly problem if you ask me.

0 Likes
Highlighted
11 0 0

You're missing my point.  You are saying that the retail model which is sourcing products other people make is a waste of time and I should become a manufacturer of a new product, period.  Am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

0 Likes