Looking for suggestions to increase conversion rate of my new shop.

Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 5

Hi,

I set up my new shop about 2 weeks ago (www.gravitysilverjewellery.com) and have paid for a few ads and I feel as though I am getting a reasonable amount of traffic.

But my conversion rate seems very low - I have only had 3 sales from over 1000 sessions. I don't actually know if that is that bad but I do know that the ads have cost about as much as the revenue I took from the sales, which is fine (and possibly to be expected) when just starting out, but now I am looking to improve this.

So, I would be very grateful if you could take a look at my site and offer suggestions that may help improve my conversion rate (or significantly increase organic traffic).

To increase the level of trust in my shop, just yesterday added the ability for customers to leave reviews and published my existing reviews from Etsy.

Other things I am considering are:

• adding a live chat option
  • look at various small visual improvements for mobile visitors
  • Making the "£" sign smaller, removing the pence (all are .00 anyway) and ending prices in a 9 (e.g £99 instead of £100.00)
  • adding a "satisfaction guarantee" somewhere prominent.
  • Adding more products (as and when I have time)
  • Adding some blogs about how the items are actually made (again, as and when I have time)
  • At the moment I am using automatic google ads and I am considering moving to a manually managed one.

Any help/thoughts/suggestions/criticism would be gratefully welcomed.

Thanks

3 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
177 26 109

Hey there, @Gravitate1!  

Let’s break down your considerations first:

• Live chat: YES! It’s critical for supporting your customers and helping them before they leave your website. Make sure it has options for auto invites (to automatically trigger a chat invitation based on your set criteria) and co-browse (to lead your visitors to a product/information).
  • Small visual improvements for your mobile visitors: Yes, but I wouldn’t stop there. I would suggest using visitor behavior to explore more about mobile visitors. You should be able to use heatmaps (to see where people click) and session recordings (to watch a visit) and filter that data down by device type and behavior. You may find that you have more overall traffic from mobile, but most of your conversions come from desktop. If that’s the case, I would look closer at the mobile experience to see what’s stopping them. Instead of making small visual improvements, I would base them off of what your mobile visitors experience.
  • Making the £ smaller: I agree. 
  • Adding “satisfaction guarantee” in a prominent place: I fully support this decision, but I would make sure it’s linked to a page that then goes into more detail about this (like FAQ or Refund Policy). 
  • Adding some blogs about how the items are actually made: Time aside, I would run a poll to see what your visitors are most interested in reading. If you ask them for the information they want to read, it may be less about how they are made and more about something else, like learning how you source the material or how you would style it.

Now, let’s look at your website. 

Homepage

• Hero image: I would limit to one rather than multiple images, and make sure it has a CTA button. Two of the three hero images do, and one doesn’t.
  • Banner: This is where I think a poll would be helpful. I see a lot here about custom designs. That’s a great service to offer, but is that a priority for your customers? Ask your visitors directly how interested they are in custom designed rings, and update your focus as needed. If they aren’t as interested in it, you may want to run a discount offer instead. 
  • Structure: Run a click heatmap and scroll heatmap to really evaluate your homepage. How far do people scroll? Where are they clicking? The reason is that how people use your website may be different in how we think they use it. It may be able to be changed to better represent what you’re selling. The “Handmade to order in the UK” message is nice, but it’s really high on the page and not clickable. This is great information, but I would create a separate page dedicated to the creation process that can be linked easily instead of making it a priority here. It’s not that this is bad information. It’s that it’s taking up this prime real estate on the homepage with a message that may not be at the forefront of a visitor’s minds. Let them fall in love with your products first and then help seal the deal with all of those awesome details, like handmade to order.
  • International shoppers: Cater to those international visitors with a currency localization tool.

Footer

• Delivery details: Can you clarify the international order charge? Is that an additional £5 charge or is that a flat-rate shipping charge? 
  • About me: Add in pictures! Visitors may not always see this page, but it’s okay to add some character to it. Show you in your studio or something that would show YOU.  
  • Terms of Service: Link your email address. 
  • Privacy policy: Link the URLs and email address.
  • Social media: Use icons instead of text, and make sure the link opens in a new tab rather than the same tab. 
  • Newsletter: There needs to be more value here, like a 10% off discount or the like. If someone doesn’t know if they want to buy from you, they probably also don’t know if they want to subscribe to your newsletter. 

Navigation

• This is where I see you have the most potential to improve.
  • Test moving the main navigation from the side to the top of the page. If you use heatmaps and session recordings, you’ll be able to see fairly quickly if it’s more or less successful with your target audience and visitors.
  • Also, use heatmaps to evaluate where people are clicking. They may not know what One and Only means as a collection and could be removed.

Collection Pages

• Add a filter to help people find a product. Even though you don’t have a large amount of products, it would still be helpful in case they want a small band or a specific metal. 

Product Pages

• Reiterate the free shipping for UK residents
  • Watch some session recordings to see how people engage with your page. Where do they hover and move their mouse?
  • Ring size: You have to create a sizing guide. I can’t stress that enough. There has to be an easier way to get their size guide. If someone has to be sent a sizing guide, there’s an issue. If they are ready to pick a size, they may be ready to buy. Because you didn’t have a sizing guide that could be printed, that may be part of the reason people are leaving. 

Live chat: Like I mentioned earlier, adding live chat to your site is going to be very, very helpful for you and your visitors. Auto invites are a pretty neat feature that will almost set it on autopilot. You set the criteria (i.e., someone who doesn’t checkout within 2 minutes of adding a product to their cart) and if someone meets that criteria, the chat invite is automatically sent to the person. You can help someone in real-time to answer their questions.

You really do have a great store here, and all of the effort you’ve put in shows. When you use visitor behavior, it’s going to help you find out why you have so much traffic but so few conversions and show you where you can improve your website. Lucky Orange has heatmaps, session recordings, live chat, polls and more with a free trial (no credit card needed) and plans that start at US $10/month.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Cheers - Danny

- Was my response helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 5

Hi,

Wow. Thank you for such a detailed response, I can see me referring back to this list a LOT. And I can see there is a lot of work ahead.

Everything you have said makes perfect sense. The only thing I (sort of) disagree with is about providing a printable size guide. Yes, it may well address one hurdle that customers may have, but I find them to be extremely unreliable for a number of reasons - they are often scaled to printer margins which throws them off and are also very easy to misuse. So by providing one, I may well be making problems for myself later on.

One thing I notice is that you say that the navigation has most potential to improve, but then the only change you really suggest is moving it to the top of the page? Yes, the "One and only" collection could be made clearer as to what it is, and I will certainly be looking at more collections to make it easier to find particular materials etc. But other than that, can the navigation being at the top of the page instead of the side make a big difference to conversions?

This is probably something I should have mentioned before but looking at the stats, it looks like I am getting a good number of product views... they just aren't getting added to the cart.

Anyway, thanks again. Like I say, I will be going through your points one by one and hopefully that will have a significant impact. 

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
177 26 109

About the navigation...

When there's a high abandonment rate or high traffic/no sales, navigation is one of the first things to look at.

Because there's a main navigation on the side and a utility navigation on top, it may be fighting for a visitor's attention. I would be interested in finding out:

• Many visitor read a website in an "F" shape. Moving it to the top of the page would be among the first things they would read, which would make it easier for them to click directly into your products.
  • How are they using it now, and how does this change if you test it? I use session recordings on my own tests, and it's helps take the guesswork out of it. There's no universal answer, so your audience may respond better to the side navigation. That's why I use session recordings and heatmaps (clicks in particular) to get into the visitor's side of the decision.

For the One and Only collection, I think it's a brilliant collection. A slight change of wording may be all it needs. Your products are fantastic, and I can see this being very, very popular!

For the ring size...that may just have to be a sore spot that you'll have to eventually find a solution for. I understand it's hard because if they mess up, you mess up. I would be curious the responses you would get if you ran a poll asking, "What stopped you from checking out today?" If the sizing ends up being a larger issue for your visitors, that may be something to tackle sooner than later.

- Was my response helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
25 1 4

Congrats on your Store just visited your website,Your online store has to receive traffic in order for purchases to happen. The key to generating traffic? Search engine optimization. By incorporating SEO keywords into your product titles and descriptions, your site is more likely to rank higher in search engine results. The increased visibility is the key ingredient for greater site visits and more conversions.

If you’re unsure about how to find SEO-friendly keywords or how to incorporate them into your store, check out this helpful guide on SEO optimization of ecommerce websites.

As a recommendation I would like to suggest you about Descrii it is a description generator application.

Descrii is quick enough to Understand your product and save your time from hectic process of generating product description manually.

Hope you will like my suggestion below the link is-

https://bit.ly/descrii-premium

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 5

@LuckyDanny  Thank you very much for clarifying. I will certainly be looking at all the suggestions you have made as soon as I can.

@EvlinDsouza Thank you for your reply. However, while I know SEO is something I need to work on in order to generate more organic traffic, I think that it is more important for me to concentrate on increasing my conversion rate at this moment in time because there is limited point in getting more traffic if I cannot convert the traffic that I already have. To be honest, it feels like you are just trying to sell me your app. Which is fine, I don't mind that. But I am not ready to spend money on something which may, at some point, increase my organic traffic, if I am not likely going to make that money back with conversions. But I will keep it in mind for when I have increased conversion rate and I have time to look more closely at my SEO strategy. So, thanks again.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
26 2 7

Better descriptions increases your conversation as it increases the trust. Its not just seo.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 5

@abhinavp00719  I fully understand that better descriptions isn't just about SEO. And I also know that I am not the best at writing good, inspiring descriptions. I can get all the important specs and features across, but doing so in a way which is elegant and to the point whilst also motivating the reader to make the make the purchase, is something which I know I struggle with.

So if you can give me any tips or suggestions about what is wrong with my current descriptions I would be very grateful.

I have read a few articles on writing good descriptions and one of my issues is that almost all of them say to start by saying what specific problem the product solves. As I sell jewellery, it's not really a problem solving product. So as I see it (and I may be completely wrong on this), the pictures are by far the most important part of the description. If a customer sees an item and falls in love with it, and thinks it is worth the price, as long as they do not come up against a problem (such as trust issues, shipping costs or technical difficulties) then they will buy it.

Obviously, it is possible that people simply don't like my designs, or don't consider them worth the price I am asking. But those aren't things which are particularly easy to check.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
483 30 144

Hi @Gravitate1 !

Welcome to Shopify and I wish you good luck!

1. Clear CTAs - help to show what to do next. Hero banner on your homepage is a key to make a connection with every visitor. You should clearly communicate what your website is about.
  2. Branding - clearly show your company branding. Logo, brand colors, brand fonts - should be the same across websites, emails, and social profiles. A key part of building your brand is making it recognizable. 
  3. Social proof - an incredibly powerful sales and lead generation tool. 
  4. Engaging images - you need them on your homepage to give visitors a sense of what your business is about. Images help you to tell a story and show visitors what they can gain from your product. For a product website think about how images can convey the value of your product and help your visitors to achieve their goals.
  5. If your website doesn’t have a blog already, make creating one a priority. But if you have a blog, it gives people a reason to keep coming back. Blogs also help improve your SEO because you’re constantly adding new content to your page.
  6. Try adding SEO related high search keywords in your title and product description so that it will be very easy to market your products and display them at the top in google search.
  7. 90% of people read reviews before purchasing an item. I personally do not read the description too much, I go straight on to the reviews section because that is social proof. In my opinion that is essential for every site. I highly recommend (almost insist) and adding that feature on your site. You can use Growave for that, it offers automated emails within the Reviews feature as well.
  8. Imagine if you saw something that you quite like in the store, however you want to browse more, get more options, and then choose the best one. That often happens to me, because I am indecisive. That is when Wishlist comes in handy. Since you have a lot of products on your site, I recommend adding that feature to improve the user experience on your site. Besides, if the items on the wishlist have not been purchased, automated emails will be sent out as a reminder.
  9. Social media has become a huge thing nowadays. I highly recommend taking advantage of that and adding Instagram galleries on your homepage. It will help drive traffic from your site on to your account and vice versa.
  10. Implement an opportunity to log in and sign up using Social Media account. We all have accounts at least in one social media. And if I have an opportunity to create an account just with one click, I will do it. having an easier way to Sign in will help you gather customer base. The most valuable thing for a company is the customer
  11. The items in your store are more on an expensive side, therefore I recommend giving back to your customers by rewarding them with free shipping, discounts, and other goodies for spending a certain amount of money on your site. That way,  letting your customers know that you care about them.
  12. The sale you have seems to be a nice deal, however, when you make such a big amount off it might devalue your product. People always need to know why you have made such sales, is it a seasonal sale? or is it because there is no demand for it? Does that mean the product is bad? 

Instead of giving a discount for nothing, give them rewards for completing certain actions on your store ex. for creating accounts, for leaving a review, for sharing your site, for spending money on your site. It is not difficult for a user to do and you will get so many actions on your site, and you are having discounts anyway.
  13. Use a referral program that will encourage your existing customers to share your products with their friends by giving discounts if the latter have purchased something from your store. With referral programs it is important to carefully set up so that you are not giving huge discounts and not getting anything back. [I recommend using one by Growave., because it is safe and it is integrated with 6 other marketing features (Reviews, Wishlist, Rewards, Social Login, Instagram, Discounts, Referral, VIP tiers) for better performance. 

Hopefully, I managed to help you. If so, please let me know by liking this post.

Growave is the all-in-one marketing platform that has
- Visual Reviews with automated emails
- Loyalty&Rewards
- Wishlist
- Instagram
- Social Sharing + more

Increase conversions with ease here
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 5

@Adelia Thank you for your comments. I will go through them one by one to see if I can improve upon each of your points.

However, I do feel like it is more of a copy and pasted list which is geared more toward advertising Growave than it is relevant to my specific site. For example, you suggest that I use Growave to add reviews to my site... but I already have that feature.

So, again, thank you because it is a useful list of points, but some of them may not be relevant to my current situation.

0 Likes