Lots of ads, no sales = losing money.

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0
Hi everyone,

I went live with my website [Tote It Out](www.toteitout.com) a few days ago and have been advertising on Facebook and Instagram with multiple ads.

I have had about 300 visitors to my site, and have people engaging with my ads with likes, comments and shares, but no sales. I feel like I’m wasting money with ads and am starting to question my product/design/price/marketing - pretty much everything.

For my ads, I’m targeting about 1.5-2.5 million people each time and am focusing on women, 25-55 mostly in California who are interested in sustainable products, zero waste, and plastic free. If the tote bag I’m advertising is printed with something specific, like pugs, then I’ll target them.

I feel like I’ve done what needs to be done to get sales, but I’ve only been losing money. Advice would be appreciated!

Thank you for your time!
www.toteitout.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 3

At first browse, your site looks nice. It presents well as a clean, serious site that suits the product and demographic you're targeting. First impressions count for a lot, and Tote it Out passes that test.

I do think your logo and branding need some attention. The "Tote it Out" logo renders poorly on desktop and mobile, it looks like it was scaled down poorly in a bitmap editor. Clean up the linework, and change it to an 85-95% grey instead of 100% black; to me, flat black logos are a dead giveaway.

Why isn't the site working for you?

• $5 flat rate shipping. Many customers expect free shipping, $5 is pocket change but it may be costing you a lot of potential buyers right off the top.
  • FAQs. There's good info on this page, but it's hard to quickly scan the Qs for As. Change the questions from italics to bold.
    Also, consider front-loading it with some positive, friendly questions. Your first question is a "no", never start a one-sided conversation on a negative note! Rewrite your answers to  be as positive and conversational as possible - your brand has a voice, what should that voice sound like?
  • About Us. Similar to above, who are you (figuratively) and why does this site exist? The blurb in the footer is a good start but your brand's story needs a dedicated page.

Those are all minor points, but there's one more thing. Why? Why should somebody buy a tote bag from Tote it Out? I'm not your target customer, but my hunch is that many people a) have a drawer full of grocery and branded totes at home, and b) only think about buying a tote when they NEED one, not a couple weeks beforehand. Your products look good and I think they're probably appealing to your target customer, so here's where you may need to leverage some social proof; would you consider sending some samples to "influencers", hosting a contest or giveaway, or paying for promotion on pages or sites that get lots of traffic from your demo? If you're getting interactions on your social ads you're probably on the right track, now you just need to leverage some clout and get a co-sign from the right brand or personality! 

Good luck!

1 Like
Highlighted

300 visitors is not a ton and odds are you have not spend a lot of money... for advertising... to know if your ads are working or not. Most people need a few visits before they are going to buy from a site. 

When our clients are looking to do paid ads on Google or Facebook. We recommend they start off on Google Shopping as you can target people based on what they are searching for. This means it's easier to get sales faster. You will need a Google Merchant Center and a Google Ads Account to run Google Shopping campaigns. After Google Shopping is working, we look at Facebook and setup a Dynamic Product Ads campaign on Facebook. 

Google Merchant Center
This is where you host and manage your products (SKUs), so you can use Google Shopping campaigns in your Google Ads (AdWords) account. You can add the Google Shopping app to your store and connect it to your Google Merchant Center... once you do this, you are almost set to run Google Shopping campaigns.

Google Ads (AdWords) Account
This is where you run and manage your Google Shopping campaigns from. You will need to connect your Google Ads account to your Google Merchant Center account above. Once you do that, you can run Google Shopping campaigns. Make sure you turn on Auto-Tagging in your account. Also, you can link your Google Ads account with your Google Analytics account... this helps make sure data is shared between them. Hopefully you have setup your Google Analytics account already. Make sure your bids are not to high and you have a good account structure.

Facebook Ad Account
If you have not, you should Setup your Facebook Catalog. That way you can run Dynamic Product Ads (DPA), which is remarketing/retargeting on Facebook and Instagram. When someone comes to your site and does not buy... you can show them an ad later on Facebook and Instagram. The DPA campaigns are always the best return on ad spend for our clients. It's good to start with site visitors or people who have added something to their cart/started checkout but have not bought anything.

Once you have that setup. You can see what is working and what is not working and grow the business. The above assumes you have setup your Facebook pixel and your have a Google Ads Conversion tag setup for your site too. That way you can track your sales. Hope you found this helpful, if so please click "like" below to let me know

We help ecommerce & DTC brands create, manage and scale profitable PPC campaigns: TakeSomeRisk.com

P.S. Take my Google Shopping Course and help grow your revenue this month.
1 Like
Highlighted

Hello Tote it out,
I just went through your store and I'm very impressed with the products niche you are dealing in.
It's good that you are running Facebook and Instagram Ads and getting visitors to your store but no sales.

I would suggest you to get your store customised first and make it more appealing. There's a lot of improvement which need to be implemented. There are  no collections, navigation menus etc. All such changed need to be implement in order to make your store attractive.

If you wish to discuss further, feel free to connect with me.

Shopify Expert
Email: sarthakagarwal@cedcommerce.com
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @ToteItOut 

Stop wasting money on paid methods. 

The best way to figure out why your website isn't converting is to use organic methods and keep testing what does and doesn't work on your website before going into paid methods.

I can already see one way you could generate hundreds if not thousands of leads to your website for free in the next day or two. 

Either way your website looks better then 90% of peoples website when they're just starting out. So keep up the good work. 

Cheers 

Clayton Bates 

Grab Most Detailed FREE Review --->LEARN MORE

Client VIDEO TESTIMONIALS --->VIEW

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1051 53 157

Hey @ToteItOut,

I just loved your store. I took a look at your website, and I can tell you've put in a lot of work! So you’re generating traffic, but you’re not getting any sales. It's a good thing actually. Not convinced? Let’s take a step back for a moment. Sure, on the one hand you’re not making any sales, but let’s look at the positives here. It's an opportunity.

Something is obviously going right. People actually care enough about your brand or your marketing to visit your website. But we still need to turn that traffic into sales. The issue that you are facing is very common among E Commerce sellers and it’s one which we’re sure we can solve.

Before spending your money on FB ads you need to make sure your store is ready to capture and engage them. If not then you may end up losing all your money. What I want to say is you need to focus on customer engagement and retention before investing in ads.

1. Pop-up Banners- I would personally recommend you to go for a 45-sec-pop-up at the entry. Conversion rates for pop ups are high and most surprising discovery is that the pop up doesn't increase bounce rate at all. This is ample time for your audience to get hooked by your content, whilst also being quick enough to catch skimmers before they leave.

2. Create an engaging and interactive website- Engaged and loyal customers, can lead to an increase and repeat sales and also eventually lower down your cost of acquisition.

There are other constructive suggestions which will help you with your store engagement and eventually lead to conversions. I would love to help you with all the suggestions that I mentioned above.

Let me know your availability.

Looking forward to speaking with you.

Regards,

Aitrillion.

Sachin D | Shopify Growth Expert @ AiTrillion

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- 10+ Years of eCommerce experience.
- 1400+ Stores Designed on Shopify.
- 13+ Shopify Apps launched on app store.
- All in One Marketing App on Shopify AiTrillion Marketing Automation
0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
44 2 5

Hey, 

I recommend you to use Nextsale app for increasing sales. It is a very useful plugin that helps you to increase sales by converting leads to sales. It uses Social proof &Urgency tools. When you add it to your site FOR FREE, it will show comments of previous buyers. So when the visitors come to your site they will see real purchasers' comments. It will create brand trust in them and trigger them to buy your online service. You can use it for free from the beginning. You will see the benefits. It differs from its competitors in the market by having the best pricing ( the lowest) and all in one dashboard system. You do not pay separate costs for social proof and urgency. All content in one. 

Try it for free, the link is below! Good luck with your store!

0 Likes