Lots of initiated checkout but low conversion rate

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hey everyone !

I have launched my shop www.barmond.com about 1 week ago using the facebook and instagram ads.

The site has a lot of traffic. On facebook the cpc is at $ 0.20 on average and add to cart is about $ 2.

The problem is that the conversion rate is very low, about 0.23%.

Looking at the statistics of Shopify, which is surprising, is that the rate of "reach checkout" at 0.60% is 3 times higher than the conversion rate.

On facebook the rate of "initiated checkout" reaches even 3.93% without knowing if this data is really reliable.

So I wonder if we maybe have a problem during the checkout process. I searched for hours in the settings.

I also tried to order myself through different way of payment (visa, mastercard, paypal) the only one I have not tried is Apple pay. But that seems unlikely because we received an order paid via Apple Pay last night.

Targeted visitors come almost all from facebook and browse through the website with their iPhone (X, Xr, Xs, Xs Max)

Le website is in french.

I was wonderring if could I get some feedback about my store and this specific problem ? Thank you so much in advance !

Here's some screenshot of our statistics:

https://ibb.co/WDhmcJB
https://ibb.co/Zgj66H2
https://ibb.co/K2dffjJ

Have a nice day !

0 Likes
Highlighted

Great looking store and branding. If people are not converting, then it's not the right traffic. Not all traffic is created equal. Here are some ways to make your store even better and make people want to purchase.

Homepage Feedback

1. Carousels have been proven to kills conversions rates ...limit how much you use the one on your site. No one is going to wait around to see what is on each sliders

2. Consider adding a Featured Product section on the homepage (i.e. XY Of The Month). Pick one products and tell people why you picked it and what makes it great

Product Page  Feedback

1. Add a longer product description as this is how you convince someone to buy on your site. Plus it helps with SEO and ranking in organic search

Your store is great and some minor tweaks can make it better, however, if people are not converting then you are targeting the wrong type of people.  Hope you found this helpful, if so please click "like" below to let me know.

We help ecommerce & DTC brands create, manage and scale profitable PPC campaigns: TakeSomeRisk.com

P.S. Take my Google Shopping Course and help grow your revenue this month.
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
9 1 3

Hey there!

What you're seeing is actually pretty normal. According to a popular study by Baymard, carts are abandoned about 68% of the time for many different reasons. And it's awesome that you're diving into funnel analysis to figure out what's going on.

The Shopify reports should be more accurate than Facebook's, so let's stick with those. .23% conversion is pretty low. Overall, I think your site looks really good. I don't speak French, so my advice might be a little limited here! I would start at the very top of your funnel and look at your traffic quality. The first thing I would look at is ad targeting. Are you getting the right people to your shop? 59,99 € is expensive for a phone case if you're used to paying around 10 €, so I would make sure the ads are targeted towards people more likely to purchase a luxury item vs just anyone looking for a phone case, for example. 

Are you sending people to your homepage or directly to product pages? Just looking at your top sellers, the first 3 are the first 3 featured on your homepage, and then they drop to cases that you have to navigate to the collection pages to find. Featuring the more popular cases on your homepage could help. You could also use an app like NeatTracker to figure out what people are looking at and adding to their carts (full disclosure, I created this app - but it's totally free and I think it could help you out here). 

This is a small thought, but I noticed that all of your cases have "Barmond" stamped on them, in addition to the monogram. Have you considered offering a version without the Barmond stamp? I wonder, because the cases are fairly minimal, if some customers would prefer just a version with the monogram only. 

These are the type of things I would start with. Your add to carts to checkout is somewhat low right now too, but it's workable and you should see a more dramatic affect by starting higher up on your funnel. I would concentrate on getting higher quality traffic to your site, and increasing the number of people reaching checkout. When you're ready to start taking a look at abandoned carts, I have article you might find useful called Run Your Store Like a Science Experiment: 4 Experiments to Reduce Abandoned Carts that you might find useful. 

You're on the right track though! You have a leaky funnel, which is pretty normal, but you're looking at the right things. Good luck and please let me know if you have any questions I can help with. 

From Shopify Zero to Hero - YouTube series where we design a product and create a Shopify store from scratch ★
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
86 3 17

Hi @Barmond ,

Site looks great!

I want to focus in on what another commenter said regarding traffic. 

By 'conversion rate' I presume you mean to purchase? If so, a drop from 0.60% reaching check-out to 0.23% making a purchase (55% drop doesn't seem terrible). However, only 0.6% reaching the checkout seems low (>1% should be converting, with >3% getting to check out. This would suggest the users are the issue. 

Things to look at for targeting:

- Location / language of users

- Are you only targeting iPhone users

- Have they purchased other luxury goods

- Andrew
kickpay.com - Intelligent inventory finance.
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi, 

Thank you very much for your advices everyone . It really helps me ! 

@DuaneBrown I already change my homepage and deleted the carousels. I will add a longer product description and add my best seller on the homepage. Thank you for your advices !

@JackNeatABTest I'm sending my traffic to home page and collection page. I figured out to send traffic directly to produt page. But they have to choose they color first. I will try to add color options on the product page, so the customers doesn't need to click too much during the process. I just added neattracker, will see how it can help me !

Thank you !

@mccaly Thank you for your advice ! I'm only targeting people who like luxury brands, use iPhone and speak french, so I guess the problem doesn't come from there but from my website. 

@AiTrillion Thank you so much for thoses advices. I alreay have an email workflow for abandonnement cart, but nothing more. I will apply your all of your advices and eventually try your app :)

Finally I think I've found the 2 main reason why my site is not converting:

• Some page are loaded too slowly. Especially the first page of checkout "contact information" with 4.88s of loading time, as you can see on the screenshot below. Maybe that's why few people finalize their order once they have initiated the checkout.

So now my objective is to apply all of your advice, reduce loading time of my website and try to add a customization options that allow visitors to see a preview of their custom cases. (like the screenshot below)

Have a nice day everyone !

2019-07-26 02_41_06-Courrier.jpg

2019-07-26 13_46_12-Analytics.jpg

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1051 53 157

Hey @Barmond ,

Astounding products. My first thought when viewing your storefront is that it looks very professional, clean and is easy to navigate - these aspects can be very beneficial when driving traffic and getting new or repeat customers. Not only is your theme aesthetically pleasing, but so is your logo.

You should definitely start notifying your customers when they abandoned your cart. This can be done in many ways. Infact in AiTrillion you can send them an abandoned cart push notification as well as abandoned cart email together. This will reduce your cart abandonment. Not only this you can also start rewarding your customers with loyalty points when they come back to complete their purchase. This will help you to retain your forgone customers.

We have email templates, push notifications, and a whole series of abandoned cart recovery and everything that is needed to create engagement and conversions at one place.

Solution: Whereas sending Abandoned Cart Push Notifications & Emails grab attention quicker, and take your visitors directly to the checkout page, enticing them to complete their purchase.

Before wasting all your  money on facebook ads learn that your site doesn't convert your traffic sales—You need to validate your website before you spend money on traffic (ads). You need to make your store ready for engagement. Make sure your store is ready to capture and engage new visitors. If not then you may end up losing all your money. Because if you’re seeing a good amount of traffic but it’s not translating into sales, it may indicate there’s something about your site that’s not convincing customers to go through with a purchase.  Here are some recommendations-

Pop-up Banners- I would personally recommend you to go for a 45-sec-pop-up at the entry. Conversion rates for pop ups are high and most surprising discovery is that the pop up doesn't increase bounce rate at all. This is ample time for your audience to get hooked by your content, whilst also being quick enough to catch skimmers before they leave.

Reviews - You can create a seperate review page. I would recommend you to add a button on your homepage so that every new visitor can get a glance.
Create an engaging and interactive website- Engaged and loyal customers, can lead to an increase and repeat sales and also eventually lower down your cost of acquisition. Here are some ways to achieve that-

-Loyalty Program- Start using loyalty programs for customers for every action they take on your store. A loyalty program entices your visitors to keep engaged with your product and website. In Fact you can rewards loyalty points to your store visitors when they "allow" your push notification opt-in or when they share your store on social media and a lot of other activities.

-Web Push Notifications- Push notifications, which allows you to send push notifications in real-time to the user's browser. Engage customers will lead to an increase in repeat customers.

-Reviews- As mentioned above- It gives your customers a way to obtain a neutral opinion about the product, and thus this makes your website more engaging. These are real customers who have tried your product. A review platform allows the customer to directly engage with the brand.

-Blogs- Using a blog, you can educate customers about your product or services. You can use the blog to share customer success stories and how your product helps them to solve problems. As we know, "Content is King", post valuable post which benefits the readers.

-Chatbot- Chatbots in your business is that they save time. For instance, when used on your website they can provide fast, automated answers to most questions. This will engage your customers and prevent customers from waiting for a day or longer to receive responses as they would have in the past.

This is how you can engage your customers on your store. If you want I can schedule a call with Aitrillion team or you can also shoot an email at support@aitrillion.com. We will assist you in finding a perfect marketing solution for your online store which will help you to increse your store engagement and conversions. 

Regards,

Aitrillion.

Sachin D | Shopify Growth Expert @ AiTrillion

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- 10+ Years of eCommerce experience.
- 1400+ Stores Designed on Shopify.
- 13+ Shopify Apps launched on app store.
- All in One Marketing App on Shopify AiTrillion Marketing Automation
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1051 53 157

Hey @Barmond,

Sure you can try Aitrillion.com. It also has a 14 days trial. AiTrillion has everything integrated in one platform. These are the different ways in which you can engage your visitors and retarget your customers-

• Loyalty Rewards
  • Web Push Notification (with loyalty reward integration)
  • Pop-ups powered with Artificial Intelligence
  • Automated Email Marketing
  • Intelligent Customer reviews

What's new?

AI based Predictions - To know when your customers and visitors are most active on your store so that you can engage them more effectively.

Customer Timeline-  Get a full insights on your customers at one place.

AI powered personalization & Behavioral based Product Recommendations.

Regards,

Aitrillion.

Sachin D | Shopify Growth Expert @ AiTrillion

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- 10+ Years of eCommerce experience.
- 1400+ Stores Designed on Shopify.
- 13+ Shopify Apps launched on app store.
- All in One Marketing App on Shopify AiTrillion Marketing Automation
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Telling from the screenshot you provided, your initiated checkout completion rate is considered to be normal at 38%, 34 reached checkout / 13 purchased, anywhere around 41.7% is considered to be average. So the problem with your store's low purchase conversion rate is actually that you aren't getting enough initiated checkouts. Work on sending better quality traffic and lowering your price, and see what that does for your store. To send better quality traffic improve your targeting through Facebook lookalike audiences, mainly the initiated checkouts or add to carts, unless you have 500 purchases or more then use purchase lookalikes. Overall nice looking store, but I assume what needs work are your ads and price to make the largest difference.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @Barmond 

Shopify is all a learning curve and I'm sure if you keep up the good work you will do great things. 

Some great tips above. Your website looks great. 

Cheers 

Clayton Bates 

Grab Most Detailed FREE Review --->LEARN MORE

Client VIDEO TESTIMONIALS --->VIEW

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

Hey there,

I am encountering the same issue atm. Did you manage to improve your rate?

0 Likes