Low conversion rate

3 0 0

Hello Everybody,

My store is a few months old. I've had success with my products on Etsy so I created a Shopify store to try to reach a wider audience (as well as avoid Etsy fees). I have a 2.5% conversion rate on Etsy but so far my conversion rate on my Shopify site is 0.11% (1 sale with 884 visitors).

My site is https://mountaincut.com/.

If anyone can tell me what may be the problem I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Gary

0 Likes
3 0 0

Hi Gary,

I saw your store and found it to be functional and fine-looking. It's not something that would sell the product just by its looks but that's fine. It's far from the 1-sale-out-of-800-visitors type of store. And I myself am building a store of my own, entering e-commerce for the first time and find this kind of depressing.

Although looking at your product I think I have an answer for you. See the fact is - I simply don't know what the product you are selling is. Some kind of decor for Ski enthusiasts, I gather? 

But the point is, maybe your 800 visitors were people like me - having no idea of or absolute zero interest in the advertised product. So maybe focus on advertising more. Target the target customer only. Yours is a product that only a subset of community will be interested in. So try to find them, maybe on Insta or FB. And share your site with them directly. I'm sure you'll get the sales then. The product looks fine to me.

Good luck and I hope you fulfill what you dreamt of with this store.

Regards.

0 Likes

There is nothing wrong with your store. You sell a pretty unique product and odds are you need to work on the traffic going to your store. Even with a good CTR or tons of traffic, if people are not buying then it's not the right traffic. Not all traffic is created equal. The one thing we tell each client is that you can get traffic of all kinds but that does not mean it's the right traffic for your store.

When our clients are looking to do paid ads on Google or Facebook. We recommend they start off on Google Shopping as you can target people based on what they are searching for. This means it's easier to get sales faster. You will need a Google Merchant Center and a Google Ads Account to run Google Shopping campaigns. After Google Shopping is working, we look at Facebook and setup a Dynamic Product Ads campaign on Facebook. 

Google Merchant Center
This is where you host and manage your products (SKUs), so you can use Google Shopping campaigns in your Google Ads (AdWords) account. You can add the Google Shopping app to your store and connect it to your Google Merchant Center... once you do this, you are almost set to run Google Shopping campaigns.

Google Ads (AdWords) Account
This is where you run and manage your Google Shopping campaigns from. You will need to connect your Google Ads account to your Google Merchant Center account above. Once you do that, you can run Google Shopping campaigns. Make sure you turn on Auto-Tagging in your account. Also, you can link your Google Ads account with your Google Analytics account... this helps make sure data is shared between them. Hopefully you have setup your Google Analytics account already. Make sure your bids are not to high and you have a good account structure.

Facebook Ad Account
If you have not, you should Setup your Facebook Catalog. That way you can run Dynamic Product Ads (DPA), which is remarketing/retargeting on Facebook and Instagram. When someone comes to your site and does not buy... you can show them an ad later on Facebook and Instagram. The DPA campaigns are always the best return on ad spend for our clients. It's good to start with site visitors or people who have added something to their cart/started checkout but have not bought anything.

Once you have that setup. You can see what is working and what is not working and grow the business. The above assumes you have setup your Facebook pixel and your have a Google Ads Conversion tag setup for your site too. That way you can track your sales. Hope you found this helpful, if so please click "like" below to let me know

We help ecommerce brands create, manage and scale profitable PPC campaigns across North America, Europe and Australia. We also help with CRO & analytics: TakeSomeRisk.com
1 Like

Hi @Gary_Looft 

Great job. Keep up the good work. 

Cheers 

Clayton Bates 

NO Sales ??? Learn More -----> here

0 Likes
2 0 1

Hi Gary!

Congratulations on your website and on your original idea.

The first step is to identify the cause since there are a lot of explanations for a low conversion rate. I will recommend you to improve the description of the product even though it catches your attention is difficult to understand what is it and how to use it.

Facebook and retargeting campaigns will help you out in order to re-attract those potential customers and take advantage of the traffic that is currently generating your website.

There are some retargeting apps on Shopify app store as well. If you’re not familiar with that, you can search “retargeting” and try it out - https://apps.shopify.com/search?q=retargeting.

Hope it helps you out!

0 Likes
1 0 0

Your site looks great, I think the issue is more the traffic. How are customers finding your site? Etsy has millions of visitors that I am sure is why sales are higher. 

Do you have a Facebook page and Instagram? I feel your products would sell great with some social media work. 

0 Likes
3 0 0
Thanks everybody. Things are picking up. Running some Facebook campaigns and starting to ramp up Instagram. Also, started some Google Shopping Ads just today. Fingers crossed.

Conversion rate is still low but growing. About 0.5% over the last 30 days.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SkiMountaincut/
Instagram: https://instagram.com/mountaincut
0 Likes