Missplaces in assortment? Based on store look n' feel

Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 2
I run https://www.asian-skincare.com I really need feedback on the assortment. Have done market research and I carry products that are in demand based on search term reports.
But can't figure out what to do with the "cheaper looking" products (packaging not well designed/have a non luxury look n feel ) from the brands Hada Labo Labo, Kracie, Shiseido Senka (which are huge in Japan, but except for Hada Labo products, no particular search volume Europe. (I'm comparing with the popular K-beauty brands I carry) (To some extend I'm also in doubt about the brands skinfood, innisfree, but they are in demand "K-beauty" brands).

Question is if these products "ruin" the whole impression of the shop and look misplaced?

I know that these products are good, and have good ratings, and I love to introduce them to the European market, that's why they are in the shop. But as many European (western) consumers aren't familiar with these brands or products they might just dismiss them as cheap looking - poor quality. And maybe even dismiss the whole shop. Consumers have nice packaging equals good quality deeply imprinted. It's a fact, and I have it myself, to some grade.

Am I just fooling myself by carry these products? Due to 1) Poor ackaging 2) pretty much non existing search volume
Also: Should I just drop all products that don't have a ok amount of search volume, as my professional experience tell me to.
What's your thoughts on this?

Thank you in advance for your time and help!
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
373 70 124

Hey, Josefine!

Jason here from Shopify Support.

What a beautiful store! Your design aesthetic reflects well with your brand and the products you carry. You're also asking great questions. I admire the fact that you've done thorough market research. Skincare is competitive and like most of the cosmetic products, can be deeply personal. Your insightful question shows you will be able to grow with your brand. Here're my suggestions on how you can improve your store's user experience. Also, my take on your assortment question.

1. When I was going through your store in detail, I noticed that your favicon isn't showing up properly.
    10_04-4m77y-l30ty
    Remember, a favicon doesn't necessarily have to be the same as your logo. It's a small memorable icon that reflects your brand well so when the visitors decide to bookmark your page, it helps them find you next time. Here's an example of Shopify's favicon.
    10_05-rt0hu-7m8tb
    Don't forget the favicon's dimension is 32 px x 32 px, which is quite a bit smaller than your logo.
  2. The tabs on the main menu and the footer menu are sorted in an assorted order. In English, generally, people read from left to right and from top to bottom. These directions also affect how we process information. There's a visual hierarchy on how we organize information. Here're two references: Sephora (North American's beauty giant) and Care to Beauty (A popular online cosmetic store from Denmark).
    10_41-941ec-xlxy1
    10_44-gjz4f-x61ry
    For your references, here's a great article on Visual Hierarchy: Organizing content to follow natural eye movement patterns.
    Another thing to note is that you have two different organization system on the same menu. I love the idea of sorting products by brand because it's easy and offers the shoppers with familiarity. When I glance on the main menu, the last tab becomes confusing. Here's my recommendation for the main menu.
    10_22-ecovy-ow7ny 
    With the footer menu, the more important information sits on the top to bottom and left to right followed by a hierarchy.
    11_11-onso9-78q61
  3. The brands you carry separate themselves into two different categories. The brands you can find in the department store that sometimes can also be found in the drugstore, such as Laneige; the brands that are available mainly in the drugstore, such as Hada Labo. Also, the two come from different countries. The former from Korea and the latter one from Japan. Due to both cultural and the target market differences, their approaches to the customers are quite different, along with their packaging. As you've probably noticed through with your market research, Japanese or Asians in general, have quite a different approach to skincare than Europe and North America. That being said, instead of letting the packaging detour you, I suggest a different approach. I encourage you to think this way: you're one of the pioneers opening a market that isn't yet familiar in Europe. Instead of focusing on your store as a selling tool, present yourself as an expert educating your fellow customers on what each brand is and why it can beat the products they find in your local beauty market.
  4. I love the way you educate the visitors on your product page. The way you present the products and your copywriting are strong. Pay closer attention to the collection feature images you use. At the moment, there're some brands with lower resolution than others. Here are some examples:
    11_45-kcmod-wiut6
    11_46-8kfw2-zfqu9
    11_47-yisvt-wjd7t
    Remember, since this is an online store, the visitors rely on your visual presentation as one of the cues to determine if you're trustworthy. Don't let the little details detour your visitors from converting into actual customers.
  5. On the homepage, going with the theme of presenting yourself as an educator, try to include some information about the brands you carry. You can also do so in your blog, which in turn can boost your search engine optimization (SEO). As a beauty shopper yourself, if you step into a foreign store with products you don't see or understand right from the start, it's likely you may not shop right away. It takes persuasion and education your visitors about these are great products. Since you're one of the trendsetters, it comes with responsibilities. Try to restructure your homepage with more focus on brand information. When you have proper short but sweet information about each brand on the homepage, it resolves your concern on if the hyperlinks on the product page would take your visitors away from your store.

Overall, you have a great store with a solid foundation. These are the tweaks that can help you convert the visitors into shoppers. Because there's quite a bit of information here to go through, I've left some open-ended for you to think them over. The goal here is to trigger you to think again on how you want to position yourself in a competitive market and how to use a different design strategy to help you increase the conversion.

Now we've covered the design/layout of your store. How're your marketing strategies going? What have you tried to drive traffic to your store? I can see that you're growing followers on Instagram. If you haven't done so, I encourage you to check out Shopify Academy. It offers great free tutorials on various digital marketing strategies, including the often overlooked email marketing. 

If you want more pointers on any specific suggestions, feel free to reach out here. I'd love to discuss it further.

All the best,
Jason

Jason | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

2 Likes