Most sessions are below 1 minute

Highlighted
Tourist
16 0 1

Hi everyone, I'm here to ask if anyone from Western countries (Europe, Canada or USA) could take a look at my Shopify.

First, the address is www.kiginkin.com

Here's the scenario: I'm running keyword ads through Google Ads, and most of the keywords are supposed to be focused on the visitor's buying state of mind (e.g. "buy japanese products online", since that's what the site is about). I'm receiving some visits, not too many since it's quite niche, but all sessions last less than 1 minute, despite the bounce rate being about 40% - so at least half of the people do check out the website, but just very quickly.

I'd expect people to explore a bit more since they're probably looking for what we offer. A high conversion rate is not my priority right now, as I'm testing the website to see if it's of interest, so the funnel is not what I'm hoping to receive feedback on. But... less than a minute? I don't think the store looks bad, and it's also very basic, so I really can't guess what kicks people out of it. Uninteresting products? Credit cards or return policy not clearly shown? Contact page too hidden?

Side note: I know the newsletter form has a technical problem (text has the same color as background), but I don't think that justifies the short visits, as people would likely explore a bit before trying that form, no?

Any feedback would be highly welcome. The worse, the better!

Thank you all

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
559 59 108

Hi @juslearnen,

Hyde here from Shopify. Excellent question!

First off, it's great to hear you're using paid advertising to broaden your reach, and it's great that you're keeping an eye on the analytics of your store to observe the bounce rate and the number of sessions on your site. Your site looks pretty good and you've done excellent work on it so far.

I would suggest an app like Lucky Orange which provides you with a heat map to show you where exactly your customers might be visiting on your site and where they may have been discouraged or become disinterested. This should give you some insight into the customer's journey on your store and any areas of potential friction that might affect how long they remain on your site.

That said, there are some points that immediately strike me on the home page. For example, the logo on your store is difficult to see initially on desktop:

20-09-v1khj-mwh6a

Although it is better on mobile, which is great given that the majority of your visitors will be on a mobile phone. That said, you want to try be bold and clear from the outset because anyone straining to read your logo is going to lose patience every quickly. 

One of the first slides I'm met with gives me prices in Yen, which would not otherwise make sense to me given I am based in Europe:

20-09-pthlq-q2zx1

A visitor usually decides whether they want to explore your store a bit more within the first 3 seconds, so you certainly don't want to give them anything that might dissuade them from doing so. Similarly, if they scroll down a bit further and you're inviting them to join your newsletter for discounts, then offering discounts in a foreign currency might not encourage interest or trust:

20-09-sei79-cvc4j

Those are some initial reflections, but I do have some more. For example, Copywriters often use an acronym called AIDA. It stands for Attention Interest Desire Action. That is the path you aim to provide for your visitors.

So, you've got a great slideshow initially to capture attention, which is great, but then you provide customers with a sizeable chunk of information to read through:

20-09-si9do-bxn3j

Could you possibly shorten this to just a little taster paragraph, and then provide a call to action for customers if they want to read more? A link to a page with more information? It's more effective to pique their interest instead of overwhelming them with text, so a cleverly worded sentence or two should do.

In fact, wouldn't it be cool if you had a short 2-minute video at the start of your site that introduced your customers to all of this in one go? That would save space on your homepage, and videos are getting more and more important with each year.

If you wanted to spark desire, perhaps you could have more images of people using your products? Or of the product-making process? You could include reviews app like our own Shopify Reviews which also helps with SEO!

You mentioned that you are trying to target customers that might be looking to "buy Japanese products online", yet I haven't really seen that phrase used anywhere. In order to connect your store with customers using those phrases, you need to have cleverly included those same terms in your content and product descriptions and SEO.

Here’s how you can look up keywords to help boost your site’s ranking. And if you want to learn more about SEO these guides are fantastic:

- Charles Floate - Ecommerce SEO Guide
- Matthew Woodward - Ultimate Ecommerce SEO Guide

I hope this all helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

All the best, Hyde.

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
377 29 118

Hello @juslearnen,

I've taken a look at your store and found there are quite a few things which if added can make better conversions.

1. You can add testimonials on the home page to make the store look more professional.
2. Add product reviews as most of the customers read the review before purchasing the product.
3. A FAQ would be useful!
4. Discounts and limited-time offers will help to increase sales.
5. Add Buy Now button which will simplify the purchasing process for consumers, improving their customer experience.
6. Add more specific product title/url in product pages.
Creating the perfect SEO product title/url can help the search engine understand exactly what it is you are selling and drive more traffic to your site. So try to keep the product title/url unique and more specific.
7. Add filters in collection pages to help your visitors narrow in on the specific product they're looking for and find products they might be interested in based on certain features (e.g. size, color, category)
8. Add sorting feature in collection pages for changing the order of any product listing whereby users can choose which criteria they want the products to be listed by.

Before you think of ranking you should ensure your pages are found (indexed by Google). You can submit your store content regularly to all the major engines, or consider using a convenient tool like flare by Mansion Ecommerce. flare automatically detects site changes and verifiably informs major search engines like Google & Bing. You can get your free Google Index Score through flare. Plus! Only flare can submit individual URLs to Google & Bing, allowing your prioritized pages to be indexed first and fast.

Hope this was helpful!
Jeena

https://MansionEcommerce.com
https://apps.shopify.com/partners/mansion-ecommerce
Driving the next decade of eCommerce
0 Likes
Tourist
16 0 1

Hyde, thank you sooo much for your feedback. Some points are so clear, I wonder how I could not see that. I especially appreciate your negative feedback on the text, the logo, the currency, the videos... all of that, actually. I'll be digging into all these things and enhance the landing page right away.

Can I ask a follow-up question? I have been concerned all this time by the prices in yen, but I need to ensure that I pay my suppliers and the shipping service the amounts they expect; changing prices to, say, EUR would mean that the money we receive could be below our minimum (say, if the Euro gets too weak). Is there a solution to avoid that? On a side note, I often purchase from the US and I see prices in USD, and I've never been discouraged. Is that uncommon? If it is, there are a few things I'll need to review, as I designed them according to how I feel, but I might need more opinions.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
16 0 1

Hi Jeena,

Thank you for taking some time to check out the website, and write down your opinions.

I'm not sure of some of the points, as some of the things you suggest adding are actually there – but I'm guessing that this is exactly the point. If you visited the website with the intention to help and couldn't find them, let alone someone who comes to check us out. Of course they'll leave soon!

So, thank you very much for the heads up, I'll double check all your points. I'm also downloading your app as I type, looking forward to seeing whether I'm experienced enough to understand how to get the best out of it. I'm just learning ALL these things, you know.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
412 16 87

Hi @juslearnen welcome to Shopify community 

Hope your business is going well during these difficult times. I checked your store website, and I have a few tips and feedback I'd like to share,

1. I recommend you to strengthen your social activity on Facebook and Instagram by posting on regularly, and connecting with similar communities as this will increase awareness and publicity of your website and help in having more traffic. Also getting a social media influencer to promote your merch is also a good way to get high traffic to your store.

Send abandoned cart emails: If you have lots of traffic and little sales due to abandoned carts so you can get lost revenue using abandonment email campaigns. There are many Automated tools for abandoned carts. They can help you increase sales and re-engage visitors to your site who have left. You can also send promotional emails to your subscriber's list.

Show off the products: People tend to rely on engaging visuals to help drive their purchases. Since online buyers do not have the option to experience your products in-person, it's important to draw them in with great product photos, and right now your images are of low-res and small. More on visual cues that can help make your store a better shopping experience can be read here.

4. Adding product stickers/trust badges can help increase your sales by tapping into powerful psychological triggers such as scarcity, social proof, and urgency. Also having graphic and personalised stickers on products will help grab attention of customers easily and nudge them to purchase.

I hope this helps!

Munawar.

ModeMagic
Featured on Shopify Staff Picks
Want a free store consultation to boost your sales? Send me a message.
Grab your limited time offer on install today!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
718 16 199

Hi @juslearnen !

Welcome to Shopify and I wish you good luck!

1. I like your design, layout and color scheme of the store. Your product images are high-quality, very eye-catchy. 

2. Clear CTAs - help to show what to do next. Hero banner on your homepage is a key to make a connection with every visitor. You should clearly communicate what your website is about.

3. 90% of people read reviews before purchasing an item. I personally do not read the description too much, I go straight on to the reviews section because that is social proof. In my opinion that is essential for every site. I highly recommend (almost insist) and adding that feature on your site. You can use Growave for that, it offers automated emails within the Reviews feature as well.

4. Social media has become a huge thing nowadays. I highly recommend taking advantage of that and adding Instagram galleries on your homepage. It will help drive traffic from your site on to your account and vice versa.

5. For adding the functions above you can several apps. However, if you want to get all of them at once just with a couple of clicks, try  Growave.

We have 6 great features -Reviews, Wishlist, Rewards, Social Login, Instagram, Discounts, etc. 

There is a free plan available.

Hopefully, I managed to help you. If so, please let me know by liking this post.

Growave is the all-in-one marketing platform that has
- Visual Reviews with automated emails
- Loyalty&Rewards
- Wishlist
- Instagram
- Social Login + more

Increase conversions with ease here
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
16 0 1

Hi Adelia,

Very helpful ideas, will definitely dig into your app to find out if and how I can apply it to my plan.

Thank you very much for your opinions on the website as well, I'll pass that on to the design team.

Best

0 Likes