Need honest feedback on my site - Avocado Swim

Hello!

I'd love to gather honest feedback on my new store -  www.avocadoswim.com.

Please let me know your thoughts on website flow - add to cart - checkout process, etc., and how we can improve. One thing that stands out is that we have a high abandon cart percentage and I'd like to lower this. 

*It may be helpful to know, approximately 75% of our traffic and conversions are happening on mobile and are coming from social sources such as Facebook/Instagram.*

All feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

Avocado Swim: Trendy, high quality, reasonably priced swimwear for women!
www.avocadoswim.com
0 Likes

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the feedback.

Within 20 seconds of arriving at your site i had 3 different popups. One asking to enable desktop notifications, one showing fake sales, and one offering $5 in store credit. Remove all 3 of those popups and change the email on to on exit intent. 

Noted on the amount of popups. I am A/B testing the desktop notifications popup. The popups on the bottom left you are referring to are social proof popups and they are not fake sales. They are 100% real sales that converted within the past 12 hours. I will go ahead and toggle the frequency and timing settings on that so it does not bombard you immediately. Lastly, I will remove the $5 offer and make that only to pop up as exit intent.

Your menu is way too small. I would have it stretch all the way across the top. You also don't want shop in your menu. change it to have bikinis, monokinis etc on there. 

Noted. I will adjust the font size and increase it by 25-40%. I'll do this right now.

Remove the fake countdown timer from your product page. 

I will consider this -- currently I'm a/b testing it from 2 social media ads I have running to see what conversions look like with it on vs off.

Remove the dynamic checkout and also Change the add to cart button to a brighter color that stands out on the page. 

Well received, I will make the color of the checkout button brighter. Why do you recommend removing the dynamic checkout? I only see that as a benefit giving people a very quick and easy way to checkout with their most common and preferred method. I frequently use Apple Pay and it auto fills my details. I'd be much more likely to click that than just a standard checkout button. Can you expand on this? 

Thank you for taking the time to provide thoughtful feedback.

-J

www.avocadoswim.com
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
88 10 16

Hi, @Avocado_Swim!

Emma here from Shopify. Welcome to the Community, and thank you for sharing your store for feedback. 

First of all, I think you've done an excellent job curating your products, and selecting those with high quality product images. Your site is visually pleasing and easy to navigate which is great! You asked for feedback on your website flow/add to cart/checkout process specifically, and I found the flow clean and easy. 

One thing I noticed was that in the product descriptions, you have a tab for 'sizing' information that states "fits true to size". You might want to consider using a size chart with exact measurements, because a size medium with one store could be completely different than with another, and particularly with swimwear and international sizing differences, this can be very important. 

I'm going to provide some additional thoughts I had while browsing your site and relevant resources for you to take a look at below! 

Branding

In today's world, branding is more important than ever. It is absolutely crucial to stand out from the crowd! Having a strong brand will help you stand out from similar businesses around the world.

Effective branding is more than just a logo or a slogan (I enjoy both of yours, by the way!). Branding involves every aspect of a customer’s experience, from your website, to your social media posts, and advertising to the way that you interact with your customers. If your brand is consistent and easy to recognize, it can help people feel more at east purchasing from you. (I noticed some slight discrepancies between the branding on your social media pages and the branding on your website). Try these articles below for some branding inspiration! 

Product Descriptions 

Product descriptions need to do more than simply describe the product. Product descriptions need to sell your products! Your customers should feel like they need that product after reading your product description. 

Understanding Shopify Analytics

Your Shopify Analytics dashboard is home to many reports that you can use to examine your store's performance and determine which areas you need to address to increase your overall revenue. You mentioned that you have a high abandoned cart percentage. Do you know at what stage of the conversion funnel your visitors are dropping off? Below you will find two great resources to guide you in fully understanding your Shopify analytics. 

I hope you found the above information helpful. Please don't hesitate to respond here or post again on the Community with any other questions that come up along your journey. I look forward to seeing your business grow and wish you much success!

Warmly, 

Emma | Shopify Social Care 

-Emma- | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Trailblazer
151 8 31

Put a bit of color in the theme.  It's too white.  Tons of sites have white backgrounds, especially web stores / e-commerce shops.  Put a pink, or a fuchsia, or light avocado green.  Perhaps two colors, one for lines / links, and another for background.  Keep the dynamic checkout, but put a standard checkout button and highlight it somehow.

The images changing to a different shot on hover is annoying.  I see the idea, but it should be set so in the corner of the photo there's a hover action icon.  It could be a small square or circle or triangle that is offset from the edge of the photo or is on the photo in the corner.  The important thing is to not disrupt the user experience too much.  Make it so it's an option, basically.  Other than that, the spacing of photos is excellent.  I thought there could be at least 2X the number of products available for swimwear.  Adding some related products could help get sales.  A few beach throws / specialty towels, sunglasses, sunscreen / tanning lotion, beach bags are some ideas to add thematic flair.  I know you may be concentrated on curating, so I'm not suggesting you turn it into a complete beach store.  But curation doesn't have to be limited to a few product types, and adding other types doesn't need to get the same emphasis the main products do.

Site navigation is great overall.  Increasing font size a bit more (max 6 px more) would make the page appear less expansive in contrast with the products and easier to see the location of links.  Remember, some people are not adept at clicking, or may be disabled, and could incidentally end up on an unintended page, get frustrated, and leave after a few difficulties with getting around the site.  One last item, don't put all or most of the products in the store on the home page.  Only a few is necessary and allows for bringing visitors further into the site to explore.

0 Likes
1 0 1

Nice job. 

1 Like

Hi all-

Thank you SO much for all of the feedback so far (@MattR1 @spiffystack @Adrianna149 @-Emma-)! As you can see, I've listened to some of the repetitive feedback and made changes accordingly! The feedback I've received so far has been enormously helpful and I'd love for it to keep on coming!

The main things I edited so far are:

1. Site background color - Previously it was plain white. 

What is your guys thoughts on the current color scheme of the site? Does it need any more tweaks?

2. Checkout buttons - I've changed the color of the checkout buttons to brighter colors. I actually used a gradient color scheme that is similar to that of Amazon's (for obvious reasons), since theirs is tried, tested, and enormously successful. Do the add to cart/checkout buttons need any more tweaks?

3. Size of font in header/navigation/page text - I've edited this and increased the size. Thoughts?

4. Individualizing product descriptions + adding sizing information to each product page

5. Changed the cadence of ALL popups - they are now much less frequent, and on customer exit intent.

6. Removed popup asking customers to enable notifications - I see how this could be off-putting and annoying

Here are the things I decided to keep:

1. Image displaying second image on hover - 80% of my customers are accessing the site on mobile and it does not show on mobile. I think the second image is good for people to see different product colors/variations without having to click on the page.

2. Dynamic checkout option - I only see this as a benefit. If someone can explain why this should be removed I will consider doing so

Here are the things I am actively working on:

1. Adding more products to each collection

2. Adding relevant related products to each product page

3. ----what else should I be working on guys!?----

@-Emma- Can you please expand on "I noticed some slight discrepancies between the branding on your social media pages and the branding on your website". Feel free to email me at info@avocadoswim.com (if for some reason you don't want to post it publicly).

Thank you all so much! I'd love to hear more feedback on the edits I've made so far and what else there is that I should consider editing!

Looking forward to your thoughts guy!

-J

www.avocadoswim.com
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
88 10 16

Hi, @Avocado_Swim

I love how you're actioning the feedback you've received so far, and again - I think you've done an excellent job with your site! 

With regards to the slight branding discrepancy, it's nothing major but both your Facebook and Instagram pages/avatars use this logo: 

_2019-02-13_10-46-53

_2019-02-13_10-50-45

And your website uses this one, which is just slightly different.  

_2019-02-13_10-51-47

Have you played around with the styling on your website? I, personally, think it would great with the bright pink header and it would be more consistent with what you've got out there on Social Media! You could also consider updating your favicon from the white square to the pink circle that you use as an avatar here on the forums! 

Keep up the great work, 

Emma | Shopify Social Care 

-Emma- | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

HI,

I enjoyed reading this Great post, thank you!   I am curious to know whether you're customizing the theme yourself or are you using a tech person?

thank you, 

0 Likes
Trailblazer
151 8 31

"Purchased" popups still show rather frequently (about every 5-10 seconds or so).  I don't see a change in the whole background color, only at the top.  However, since you're using related products and collections, that's filler in the white space that would otherwise be there.  The hover effect is only showing a rear view of products from what I've seen so far, not color variations.  The slide-in cart is really nice, though I couldn't scroll with the scroll wheel in it.  I had to click and drag the side bar scroller to view the rest of it.  It's easy to remove products from the cart too, so that's a good job.

I think it is improving, and looks less vacant overall.  Use your logo from other social media sites (the pink circle or square with name), and add a bit more to the site in color / design to build a bit more familiarity for social media presence.  I think it is one of the more practical and effective ways to expand advertising and marketing efforts.  When someone sees the logo and remembers it, then they'll tell others that the site contains the same logo.  It may seem obvious that a name is the primary reference, but the logo backs it up and makes it easier to describe the online store or social media post that references Avocado Swim when passed from one potential customer to another.

0 Likes
Excursionist
25 0 6

Besides the above-mentioned suggestions, it's a great website. Looks trusted and professional. Regarding Instagram, how do you have 3 posts and more than 3000 followers? Also, the average likes on these posts are less than 10 and no comments. Visitors can catch these tricks. Be honest with your business and it'll improve in time.

0 Likes