New theme, easier to use site - would love some feedback. We need conversions!

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

I switched to Minimal theme which I think has improved the look of our website. Would love some feedback to make sure I am on the right track to more conversions. I appreciate any comment; your feedback always seems to be very relevant.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
21 0 1

Hey Betsy,

I've been a web developer for over 15 years. The one thing that I always ask myself when making a page is "what is the one thing I need to stand out on this page that the user will be directed to visually in about 5 seconds"

The average person who visits a webpage is on a mission to look for something specifically, and it's our job to highlight what it is we need to communicate.

A few points: Your shipping banner is hard to read. I see you're promoting a discounted $6.99 shipping rate, but it's black text on a dark orange banner. I feel like this could be emphasized a little better, especially because it's a promotion. 

The using your pantry badge is also very difficult to read. I'd try adding a black block over the image, adding some opacity and add some white text so it's difficult to read. 

I took the liberty of grabbing an image from your site and adding the black layer, with the white text. (I obviously couldn't remove the already existing black text...but you get the idea..)

Lastly, your nagivation is really easy to follow. I think you did a great job on that. My only other suggestion would be to have a banner above the navigation in place of the existing one that pops a little better showing more of the product.

I hope this helps. One other thing you may want to consider is bringing your store to native mobile apps. There are good services to get you on the iTunes store and Android store, one of which is drobile, a native iOS and Android app maker that you can use to build your store and it syncs with your shopify account. This can help boost sales and retain your customers, because you have direct access to the customer's personal phones to send out push notifications, etc.

http://bit.ly/2PiAOHr

Please reach out if you need anymore help :) 

Have a good day. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
394 22 55

Hello, Betsy! 

Karlie here from the Shopify Guru Team! Zac has already brought up some great points, so I'd be happy to add to that and hopefully you'll find it beneficial. By first glance I can see that your website layout is really well thought out - I am able to navigate throughout your whole website very easily, which is great for your customer's user experience. 

My suggestions are mostly small aesthetic changes that I think could give your website a more professional and clean feel. When I view your website, I notice that the black promo bar at the top of the page is a little distracting, so I would recommend changing the colour to a grey or even the same orange/red colour used in your logo - this will bring a sense of unity to your website. 

Speaking on unity; I would recommend changing your website background colour to the exact same white tone as your logo and product image backgrounds, this change would simply just improve the look of your website. As for your logo - it does stand out, but the text beside the logo is unnecessary and takes away from the professional quality of your logo. I would remove that text beside the logo and if you’re wanting to showcase that information then you could always create a new graphic with that text and place it as a banner under your logo or in a separate location.

On your homepage, I can see that your featured collection images look a bit out of place as the overall feel of each individual collection image is a lot different from one another. I would recommend taking some product photography or lifestyle images of your products to include as the featured collection graphics. You will want to use the same font and font colour for each of these featured collections to keep that same sense of unity that I had mentioned earlier. 

I would try to keep consistency with your product photographs - you can accomplish this by having your product images be the same format (rectangle or square), have the same solid background (white, black, or grey), and similar resolution so that your images are clear as well try to avoid text or graphics on your product images. 

Last but not least, I would recommend adding in some policy pages so that your customers are aware of how your company deals with returns, and shipping. We have a great doc that I would recommend checking out about how to add in store policies to your Shopify store. Be sure to check it out here if you're interested in learning more. 

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions - be sure to ask and I would be happy to help!

Karlie
Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

*Karlie* | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Thanks Zac,

I added a new shipping banner and also added a black banner underneath white text on Using Your Pantry, as you suggested. Will work on the product images and policies. Thanks for your comments, I will keep working on it.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Thanks Karlie,

I changed the top banner to the same orange (maybe I will try the gray, too; I removed the excess text in the heading; and will work on more consistency in the overall look. I will tackle the photos and continuity next. And the policies. Thank you for responding to my query, it is most helpful.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1663 52 192

#1 Forcing branding front and center with giant logos can be self defeating, on non-homepage DRASTICALLY Reduce the size of the logo|banner so actual product information is above the fold immediately when page loads, right now on every page, even product pages,  your forcing the user to scroll 1 page by default to see content.

If your coding it yourself you can check if your on the index page and show the large version then on other pages show a smaller banner/logo, it's common to add mini-logo to header bar in this situation.

Consider adding telephone,or email to header bar, most prefer telephone, because public emails slowly get too spammed.

Others:

• arguable typography use : if possible the logos font should be used sparingly throughout the site with a light touch talk to logo designer first for better insight on font use.
  • banner , check the offwhite color to match the white background, thisis either the logo or check the slide/image background color setting in your theme editor
  • For text over photos by default use outlines to avoid contrast issues.
  • Front page thumbnails have text in images not related to the urls they go to, i.e. "Shipping is $6.99 in november for ALL products, Order now"
  • No information in the footers "Follow Us" area, change it to something else(?policies?), disable it, or add info. LIke reinforce with a link to article on why your slogan is "From Our Pantry to Yours"
  • Make address in footer a link to map service or about us page(that has map)
  • Change telephone number in footer to a be a tel link: <a href="tel:+1 (855) 816-3857">24/7 Shopify Support</a>
  • Change email in footerto a clickable mailto link: <a href="mailto:paull.newton+shopifyforums@gmail.com?subject=shopify customizations">example</a>
  • OR remove email from footer and hide behind contact us page, 
  • contact us page has duplicated fields
  • Fix contact us page url , currently it has an excess 1: "pages/contact-us-1"
  • Note on karlies font recommendation yes go for unity, but it can be okay for "themetic" things to have differences like christmas collections, specific vendors,etc use sparingly for emphasis.
  • Product pages make the recipe icon and text link a single clickable block, future use show needed ingredients in tooltip with a quickbuy to add all products to cart with note about recipe.
  • On recipe pages make it easy to add all products to cart, before spending time on that validate if customers are making recipe based buying decisions
  • turn off, or remove powered by shopify link in footer
  • vntrust app in corner of page showing seals, see if you can add accepted payment methods there as well like in footer, dont think trust app supports that though /shrug

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for your insight. You have given me lots to think about. I have printed your response for my reference; will get to work on it right away.

Betsy

Update - later that day -

Changed the size of the logo, but can't seem to get a phone number or email in the header bar. I fixed the thumbnails.

Now the Follow Us links to Facebook & Instagram; it did before, maybe when I changed themes the links were lost.

There already is a google maps link to our physical address, although we don't have a brick & mortar store. Having trouble with the telephone link - will keep on that.

Added an email app to the site & an email link on the Quick Links.

Deleted the Powered by Shopify.

At the bottom of the page it already gives our accepted forms of payment.

Thanks again - I will keep working on the rest of the list. Any other thoughts are welcome.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1663 52 192

Looks like you changed the header bar color? Logo and shipping info stand out more 

can't seem to get a phone number or email in the header bar

While it's a trust signal it's not that critical unless customer questions are high or there are problems.

Now the Follow Us links to Facebook & Instagram; it did before, maybe when I changed themes the links were lost.

My fault I had an addblocker on so would not see social media icons, That's why on some sites you see they have the user name for instagram twitter also in plain text.

At the bottom of the page it already gives our accepted forms of payment.

No worries not critical.. Only once someone scrolls all the way down they can see,  i know it's weird right? makes internet users seem lazy..  though might want to mention it to the trust-app-team though so it's always visible too with the trust badges.

Layout testing: Being in the food market at some point you'll want to test if your homepage should showcase a product before showing the collections,etc. This does depend on customers mainly landing on the homepage. Testing generally involves two marketing pushes one before the change and one after to figure out what works for you while trying to avoid chasing your own tail.

For minimal theme to add a product to homepage go to theme customize myshopify.com/admin/themes/137195142/editor(direct link?) -> Add section -> Feature Product

Since your in the food industry what you show could very well depend on the time of day or day of week /shrug. I'd search these forums for other food stores and try to get thier insight on what they do.

But again know your audience anything else really should be dictated by user behavior(comments,reviews) ,the marketing and analytics(where do people land, what do they buy, where do they leave,etc). 

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Thank you so much for the continuing feedback!

0 Likes