Numerous suspicious site visits

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi I’m Sharon from Envy Collection has anyone else noticed a high number of visitors to their site from Bangladesh and no sales at all 

we had two orders that were flagged fraudulent and we had to cancel them 

we are also getting lots of queries through ping to asking ridiculous questions 

we are forwarding them to the relevant item they are inquiring to but it’s not getting through to them I’d be very interested In learning if anyone else is experiencing this please 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
507 54 102

Hi @SharonK,

Hyde here from Shopify. Great question!

It's good to hear that you spotted the fraudulent orders and canceled them. What you're obviously looking to do is avoid receiving a chargeback.

Here is some more information on chargebacks for you to go over. Really with any online store your best recourse is preventative: trying to prevent orders being placed on your store that are potentially fraudulent.

Your best way of doing this is a combination of Shopify's own fraud analysis algorithm, which cross-references billing and shipping addresses with card details and names to try to ascertain the credibility of the buyer, your own investigative efforts by using our Fraud Prevention Tips and using the Fraud Filter app.

Another thing you could try doing is ensuring you are manually authorizing your orders, instead of doing it automatically. This will give you the opportunity to have a look at the order to see if anything seems off to you. You could cross-reference with the fraud prevention tips I listed above. You'd change this setting by going to Settings > Payments:

20-06-yh7wj-kvdmt

You could then once again place details from the suspicious orders into your Fraud Filter app. 

If you're based in the US, you may also be eligible for our Fraud Protect feature, which is a type of insurance against chargebacks. Only businesses that meet certain criteria are eligible for Fraud Protect. For example, your business must be based in the United States and must use Shopify Payments. If you see a Fraud Protect section on the Shopify Payments page in your Shopify admin, then you are eligible for Fraud Protect.

In terms of the visitors to your store, there is no outright prevention for that. I suppose your first port of call might be to check your Shopify Analytics to see where the visitors are coming from. You can do this by going to Analytics > Dashboards > Online Store Sessions by Traffic Source as well as Online Store Sessions by Social Source.

You could also look into the reports to analyze your marketing and your paid advertising, to see if some of your campaigns inadvertently target the wrong audience type or location:

20-10-itwji-inj6z

So while there are no real means of avoiding stupid questions, you can certainly opt for a smart answer by simply ignoring and deleting the messages and ensuring that you've implemented fraud prevention measures.

I hope this all helps, but do let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best, Hyde.

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
112 3 15

Hi @SharonK 

Any more information you can give regarding the type of traffic you are getting? Are they coming from the same region or perhaps are the orders coming from the same IP address?

There are many different types of attacks and with more information, I can possibly point a direction of what to do next. If Bangladesh is usually not a county you ship to, you might want to think about blocking future orders from the region.

Also, beware that you could also be chatting with an Ai chatbot that automates its responses trying to pull information about your business, 

Decrease fraudulent orders, stop chargebacks and expand globally with Beacon. https://apps.shopify.com/beacon
0 Likes