Opinions and Feedback of my store and handmade handbags

Tourist
7 0 2

I am hoping to get some opinions and feedback of my store https://www.beautifulbagsetc.com/ where I make all of my own product. I do all of the photography, write all of my own copy and manage my website.  I don't get much traffic, at least not according to Shopify's sessions report.  I run a Google Shopping campaign which reports 31K impressions with 230 clicks last month and 26K impressions with 180 clicks so far this month (1/17/2019).  I have a Facebook biz page with over 4,300 fans and get a fair amount of engagements.  I sell only, on average, 2 or 3 handbags per month.  So, what can I do to improve conversions?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

i think home page is not so good

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 2

Well, can you tell me why? What would you do differently?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
156 5 45

Hi, Catherine!

First I want to say how great I think it is what you do. The amount of work and dedication it takes to create your bags is massive, and that is very respectable. So, congratulations for that alone. 

After having looked through your website, right off the top I would say that the style of your website doesn't match the quality of your bags. Let's take the top of the homepage, for example:

As I noted on the photo, the main menu being in grey is hard to read. Don't make the the visitor work to navigate your site. The same with your logo, the script style font is hard to read. I have good eyes and I can barely read it on my phone. The slideshow images are grainy. Make sure you're capturing them with a decent camera. Most cell phones now have cameras that can capture excellent photos. However, you'll also want to consider the content of your photos. Yes, of course you need to have the bags in there but they should be shown in the context of your ideal customer. You want to make the visitors be able to visualize what they might look like.

What I would suggest is that you find a family member or friend to help guide you on taking photos. Someone that is aware of current fashions, level headed, and good at social media. You could even see if there is a person at a local college going to school for fashion marketing that would be interested in giving you a hand. I saw some of the photos you took using a mannequin, and those just aren't going to cut it. Your bags have too much work put into them and need photographs that will do them justice. Lifestyle photography is what you need to be doing, and this guide explains what that is and how to do it.

If the quality of your bags is as good as it seems like they are they should be selling much faster, especially at the prices your selling at. For handmade bags they're very affordable. I hope you're not selling yourself short. For some people if a product has a low price they think it's because the quality is not good, when it may not be the case. This is a good post about pricing strategies.

From what I can tell, the only thing stopping the bags from selling is marketing them properly. There are a few styles you make that are particularly fashionable right now -the tapestry bags. In fact, my girlfriend has a vintage one seen here on the left:50626212_1169969573181119_5587560037561139200_n.jpg

You don't need to break your back by being on every social media platform and constantly putting out tons of content, but you do need to be on the right social channels, and you need to put out the right content. Use this guide to create a marketing plan, it will help define what your brand is all about as well give you an guideline of what to do and what not to do.

If you don't have a friend that can help with content creation, photography and website design I would seriously consider hiring a design professional. I'd start first with a college student. However, you must make sure you like their work and it must be relatable to your business. If you don't like their work and you can't imagine it fitting well with your bags don't hire them. You can also checkout our list of professional Shopify designers, called Shopify Experts.

You've got something really good going on. Now you just need to give the bags the marketing they deserve.

_Ash_ | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Pathfinder
86 6 19

I love the idea and am glad you aren't just dropshipping another random product. 

There are a few things that need changed on your product pages that will help conversions alot. 

1. remove the paypal button. 

2. make the add to cart button bigger and make it a bright color. 

3. If your items are all hand madei would add that in some bullet points in the top of the description. I would also add that all items ship from the USA and give the approximate dlivery time. 

4. When you click the add to cart button you want the cart to open. That slide up cart is hurting conversions bad as some computer view that as popups and block it plus it currently looks bad. 

5. Your cart needs one specific button that you want people to click. That button is proceed to checkout. Get rid of the contact button in your cart page. 

That will get you a good start. There are quite a few other things that will help conversions if changed but that would be the low hanging fruit. You can google optimize shopify product page and get a bunch more or you can even hire someone on fiverr or upwork to critique your site. One of those can be found at the following link:

https://www.fiverr.com/share/YYWAQ

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 2

Thank you SO much Ash. That is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.  I am definitely going to consider finding some college students as you suggested.  I'm fairly tech savvy but I have no one that can help so I really appreciate the guides you've offered.  I've really struggled with marketing because I'm low budget and most companies won't give such small potatoes as myself a second look.  Thanks once again and I'll try to remember to post an update when I make some progress in these areas.

1 Like
Tourist
7 0 2

Are you saying I shouldn't offer Paypal as an accepted payment because I don't know how to remove the button without deactivating Paypal entirely.  I use an Out of the Sandbox theme and I don't see where I can make the Add to Cart button any bigger.  I think I fixed the slide-up for the cart. I didn't know that was happening. 

As for No. 3 "If your items are all hand made would add that in some bullet points in the top of the description. I would also add that all items ship from the USA and give the approximate delivery time."  All of that info is on my About page.  I'd have to edit over 130 listings.  If you've read any of the product descriptions that I've written I would hope that any intelligent person would realize that each of these one of a kind bags are all hand crafted.

Thanks for you input though.

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
219 6 213

I've removed a few posts from this thread. Feedback should always be constructive, never offensive so let's be positive :)

For more information on our community values please review the Community Guidelines

TyW | Community Manager @ Shopify
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
Tourist
7 0 2

Hey Matt,

I think I've fixed most of what you talked about. Would you mind taking another look to see if it's better now?

thanks,

Catherine

https://www.beautifulbagsetc.com/

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
156 5 45

Yes, please do post any and all updates you've made. I'd love to help in any way I can. Your product is great and there's no reason you shouldn't be selling more bags. At this point it's just marketing business. Making the actual bags is enough work let alone all the extra work involved in getting your name out there. I know it can seem overwhelming but the forums community is here for you to lean on. Please don't hesitate to post any questions you have.

_Ash_ | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

2 Likes