Please Critique My Shopify Store

3 0 0

I recently launched my dropshipping business and have been getting decent traffic.

I've had 163 people visit my site and over 300+ people sign up for my newsletter (competition on facebook), but not one person has added anything to a cart, let alone bought something.

I really want to be successful in doing this and making a good income to help take care of my loved ones, and any and all hepl would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time!

https://suaveaesthetic.com/

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
553 36 77

Hey, there!

This is Dallas from the Social Care Team here at Shopify. I would love to help with the feedback on your store. 

When I first opened up your site the email pop up looked like this.

With the submit button covering the area to put in your email it can be a bit confusing. I see that this is set up by Privy so you will want to go into the Privy app and see if you can fix the layout. If I am not mistaken you should be able to re-adjust the spacing, however, if that isn't the case you may need to contact the Privy team. 

A major recommendation that I give to stores is to "sell the store" on the homepage and "sell the items" on the collection pages. What this really means is that the home page should have a few more sections that really break down what it is that you are doing with your website. From the looks of it you are selling men's accessories so maybe put in a fashion quote alongside a fashionable photo from Unsplash. Or add a section of text that breaks down what your goals are in 1-2 sentences. 

These are some stores that have really captivating homepages that you can use as a reference: 

All birds
Yoga Rebel
Great George Watches
______

Make sure that all pages on your site are actually leading to a page or a collection rather than leading to nothing.  

When it comes to page tabs it is best to have them lead somewhere or not have them listed at all. It can be annoying for your customers to try and see things and then get met with an "error message". It is similar to how people feel when they see the colorful loading wheel after clicking on something on the computer. 

____ 

When it comes to the filter capabilities on the collection pages I would go over the tags that you have set up. Watches and Jewelry & Watches are pretty repetitive. Then the filter Fashion & Accessories doesn't really make sense because the two items that come up are just more watches. It would be better to have tags like Leather, Wood, and Stainless Steel.

_____

It is great that you have an FAQ page, but I also recommend having an About Us page. This will allow your customers to have a more personal connection with your store. If it seems a bit daunting coming up with a paragraph or two about your business this blog post will really be able to help ease your nerves. Not only does it teach you how to write an About Us paragraph, but it also goes into detail about why it is so important and helpful.

Another really important page to have is a Contact Us page. I know for a fact that some customers leave stores before making a purchase if there is no way of contact since they lose trust in the store's legitimacy.

_____

You said your social profiles are bringing people in, however, have you thought of using Instagram as well? Instagram is a really good resource to capture a different audience. This will hopefully bring in more customers and more sales. With Instagram, you can really post a bunch of photos that will share the vibe or atmosphere that you are trying to portray to your customers. 

I have linked some Instagram profiles here that are good ones to look at for inspiration: 

This link here will also go into some good detail about why Instagram can be beneficial and how to really make it work for you.

____

One last tip I have for you is the Shopify Academy. There are some great webinars on there that will help you to make the most out of your store and hopefully increase your sales!

I hope some of these tips help you. If you any more questions please do let me know by replying to this forum post. 

Best, 
Dallas

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like

Hi GuitarooGuy! Maggie, Shopify Partner here :)

Wow, great looking website - and I absolutely adore the logo. It suits your branding, your niche, and your business name.

The dark website template really brings out the product features, well done.

One of the first things I noticed was the pop up box [Privy] appearing almost immediately as soon as I launched the website:

The Subscribe button overlaps the email address field - consider adjusting it. Also, make sure to change the template of this sign up box to match the rest of your website template - it will be a nice addition. Make sure to display the box perhaps after 30 seconds, so people can browse your website for a bit, see what you have on offer, and then subscribe, as they will have more reasons to sign up for your offers by then. If you display the sign up box too soon, people might not have enough time to see what’s in store to share their email address for the updates.

The sliding images look great - consider also adding stronger tagline to each image. “Watches” while straightforward, doesn’t really prompt visitors to click and shop:

Consider using something stronger, such as “Pure Elegance - Shop Men’s Watches”. Make sure to hyperlink the ‘View Now’ section and link to the watches collection. This kind of image will be more inviting for visitors and they will feel more intrigued to click and view your elegant watches.

Each product on your homepage is on sale:

The offer loses the appeal, if you discount each product - the sale might not then seem genuine. Consider having maybe 10% of all products on sale at one time - this will feel more genuine and people will feel they will need to hurry up before the deal ends.

Also, having all items on sale may affect your elegant and sophisticated branding you are building - so make sure to have stronger strategy with your sales.

The featured image element looks great:

Consider also improving the conversion rate here by adding a button with a ‘Shop Now’ button linking to your collection page. This way people will be able to click it and shop. Make sure to write a stronger sales copy here - the text “wonderful products at reasonable prices’ rarely appeal these days - as almost everyone claims to do just that. Think of what makes your products unique in your customers’ eyes to really make them want to shop with you? If you’re stuck, check this video guide: How to use Storytelling when writing website copy.

The Rewards button in the footer overlaps the button which would allow me to close the cookies notifications bar, and they both overlap the Mcfee secure logo:

Consider optimizing the placement of all three elements to give your site more professional and polished look.

The footer color doesn’t suit your elegant branding - it’s almost dull shade of grey:

Consider going for dark navy or more vibrant charcoal, like this shade:

FAQs page has plenty of great content - make sure to make it more user friendly with H tags instead of bolded titles and the descriptive anchor text as the internal link [here doesn’t add anything in terms of your SEO as a link anchor]:

Make sure to add trust signals as well: Shipping policy, contact us page, and about us page. These can also help you improve your conversion rate. Many online shoppers often look for this info before placing an order, to find out the shipping cost, so having this page easy to find can also help you boost your conversion rate.

You do have some info about your shipping policy in the FAQs page, yet consider having more detailed info about your delivery under a separate named page, such as “Shipping Policy”. It will allow the shoppers to locate this page right away and find the necessary info. It will speed up their purchase process, and effectively, your conversion rate. Consider also adding a table with the delivery rates at the top of the page, so people know right away how much you are charging, and whether you ship internationally as well. Some people like to browse quickly and scan for the facts [like shipping rates] without the need to read the lengthy content. Make your pages user-friendly from their perspective and your conversion will be much higher.

Returns policy - looks great. You do have plenty of content about how customers can contact you and return the products, which is great. Consider also adding 1-2 paragraphs about how long the refund process takes after you receive the item, and if you refund the full amount, including the delivery charge, or minus the shipping fees.

Your fonts within this page seem to have different colors and sizes, giving an impression it’s all copy+paste content:

Consider unifying the font style [within your source code file] to give this page more harmonious, and polished look. Also, make sure to hyperlink your email address for a one-click contact - see how to do it below:

About us page - consider adding this page. It can help you build trust and improve your conversion rate. It’s a great place to introduce yourself and tell your visitors who’s behind the scenes. This page is perfect for building trust, so don’t miss out on the opportunity to build a rapport with your customers. Trust plays a huge role for online shoppers - people love to know who they are buying from and a great About us page with your image can help you earn extra points and improve your conversion rate.

Contact us page - make sure to add this page as well. It’s an important trust signal. Your sales will be much higher when people will be able to see they can contact you in case of trouble, and can locate the contact details right away.

The first collection in your top menu ‘Bestsellers’ has no products:

It’s probably most clicked on link in your store - it’s right at the top of the menu and and contains bestselling items. Consider removing it from the top menu, as it might give an impression you don’t have items in stock.

The next collection ‘Newest Arrivals’ has no items either?

That definitely is a red flag.

Ok, I will continue browsing, just because I’d like to see the collection and product page layout.

Watches collection has more products here - yay!

Yet, with all items marked as on sale, the store completely loses the appeal of a sophisticated elegant boutique - it looks like a watches page at Target! I already mentioned the sales element, so I won’t delve on this here. One more thing to change though is the products layout. Consider displaying three items in the row instead of five. It will give your store more professional and polished look, and your customers will be able to see the items in greater detail, as the images will be bigger, and there will be more user-friendly white-space around:

The free delivery promo text in the top menu- consider changing the font - it doesn’t build your sophisticated branding and doesn’t appeal to your target buyer:

The product page looks great - you have a unique product description and Add to Cart button displayed above the fold, perfect. Normally, I encourage shoppers to have Add to Cart button in red, but in your niche, it won’t work to your benefit:

I would opt for more elegant charcoal, dark grey or navy shade, to build your sophisticated branding. The red button in your case gives an impression it’s an auction site and it can reduce the perceived value of your products. And in your niche, you should do all to improve the perceived value of your watches, in order to connect with your target audience and improve your conversion rate. Check how this page will look with a darker button:

It’s much more elegant and sophisticated, building your branding, and appealing to your target audience.

Consider also optimizing your product page further by adding related products section. It will help you improve the customer journey [sales funnel] and the time spent on your website, which is a big Google ranking factor. It will also help you improve your sales - through cross-selling. You can add related products to your Shopify product template by following this simple video guide: how to add related products to your Shopify template [video].

Blog - consider blogging regularly - it can help you keep your website fresh with new content [and will make Google bots crawl your website more frequently], which will help you build your Google rank. Blog is also a great way to bring more relevant traffic from the search engines - websites with more written content [articles] tend to outperform websites with no blog in the search results, and therefore get more traffic.

Facebook icon - make sure to open the link in new tab, so you don’t lose traffic from your own website.

Consider working on the website first, and optimize it to convert. When ready, you can then focus on getting your organic and relevant traffic; check this video tutorial: How to drive more FREE traffic to your website.

If you’d like your website to be redesigned professionally in order to boost the conversion rate and design stronger sales funnel [customer journey], invest in your complete redesign + SEO package today: https://www.rockpapercopy.com/ecommerce/ This package comes with a complete website redesign, full SEO customization, proofreading, and a complimentary 60-minute business consultation with ecommerce expert. Get started now!

If you liked this website critique, and would like to request a review of your own store, please click here now: https://www.rockpapercopy.com/critique/

Best regards,

Maggie

Shopify Partner | Ecommerce expert

Rock Paper Copy  

maggie@rockpapercopy.info  

1 Like

Hey Dallas - great tips :) We seemed to be writing the reply at the same time and point out almost identical elements :)

1 Like
3 0 0

I am blown away by both of your responses!

Thank you both so much for giving me such amazing constructive criticism and feedback. I'll get to work diving into and applying everything you've brought to my attention.

You didn't have to take the time to go into such detail, but it means the world to me that you did.

Again, thank you both!

0 Likes

Hey GuitarooGuy not an issue - if you get stuck, feel free to reach out! 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
553 36 77

Rockpapercopy You're right. Look at us, teamwork makes the dream work!

GuitarooGuy Glad that we could be of some assistance. If you have more questions feel free to let me know. Or if you would like to talk to a live guru you are welcome to contact them here. There are here to help 24/7, so ask away. 

Best,

Dallas

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
3 0 0

So I had to switch themes in order to make most of what was recommended work, but all of the white looked horrible to me, so I switched most of the colors to darker colors, but it still doesn't look right to me.

I'm so sorry to bother you again, but do you think you could take another look at it?

https://suaveaesthetic.com/

0 Likes

I Kinda like the black background better - it matches your Moroccan style logo and gives your products more sophistication.

The very first Christmas theme sliding image doesn't give the right impression. I'm not saying you shouldn't go for the Christmas theme, but keep it more in this style:

You can easily create it for free using Canva and royalty free image from Pixabay. My team can also design one for you, if you'd like.

Maggie

Ecommerce Expert | Shopify Partner

Rock Paper Copy

0 Likes