Please critique my daughters store - www.scunchieclub.ca

Highlighted
2 0 1

My daughter is 11yrs old and wanted to start a scrunchie of the month club so that girls can feel the excitement of getting something cool in the mail. 

I set up a Shopify store for her.  But, I have never used Shopify before so not sure if I have done a good job or not. 

I am hoping people on here with some experience and success with their own stores could help us out by providing some positive feedback and perhaps offering some tips to help her store be successful.

Here's the link:

www.scrunchieclub.ca

Thanks,

Tim

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
219 39 141

Hey there, @Tim_J
You have one talented daughter - I’m blown away by her concept that you helped turn into a business. You both need to be really proud of all the hard work you’ve put into this!

A few general thoughts:

• Add a favicon
  • I would also create and use a logo rather than just text. Shopify recommends Hatchful, but there are many free versions out there. 
  • Let’s talk about the hero image for a moment. This is the large image someone sees once they land on your site. Instead of the current image, I would instead focus on the scrunchies since that’s what they’re going to be receiving. Be sure to include a call to action button.
  • Run a poll to see what kind of scrunchies your visitors want for your next round of shipment.
  • Build out the footer. Add in the necessary policy pages (i.e., refund, shipping, Terms of Service, etc.). For the newsletter, explain the value of it. Do they get a discount? Do you plan on sharing more photos of other scrunchie-loving folks? 
  • Add your contact information! Your visitors will want a way to get in touch with you and your daughter (whoever is manning the customer service hat that day), and not having it isn’t an option. 

My biggest advice is to think through the process of ordering. This is an excellent idea, but I think you need to go further. Create an FAQ page with details like when it ships and how they will be billed. How do they cancel? Can you offer a three-month subscription that automatically cancels? How many come each month? 

If I signed up on 10/21, when would the shipment go out? Would that change if I signed up on 11/3? 

I wouldn’t use a typical e-commerce layout. Since you aren’t selling the products individually, the catalog isn’t necessary. Use a heatmap, which shows you where people click, to see how your visitors engage with your site. Even if you’re still trying to generate solid traffic, understanding that will help you create a more seamless experience that ends in happier customers and more sales. 

For your store, you may want to experiment with a landing page design. It would let visitors order directly from the homepage. Now, I wouldn’t just slap it on the current layout. I would be mindful of what details your visitors want and need to 1) keep scrolling and 2) complete their purchase.  

Use a scroll heatmap to see how far people are scrolling and start to develop a strong layout that entices people in scrolling. 

• I would change your “Hair scrunchies for every occasion” and move that into a separate page. If people wanted to know what kind of scrunchies they could get, they could click into it. However, since they don’t have a choice in what scrunchies they get, it may not be as helpful as initially thought.
  • Explain more about how the process works. You can go into the basic ordering process (1. Subscribe 2. Get your package in the mail around the 10th of each month. 3. Enjoy!).
  • For ordering, you may want to mix it up. Instead of just one ordering option, could you offer different scrunchie subscriptions - fancy scrunchies, grab-bag, themed scrunchies, etc. It may help your visitors pick what type of scrunchies they (or their kids) would want and be interested in receiving each month. 

This landing page design may not be what your visitors want. It’s hard to say, but I do know that your overall business strategy lends itself to it. I would use session recordings, which let you see what happened during a visit, to watch how different visitors use your website and navigate around the store.

I hope this helps you and your daughter! Again, you have such a great store here. You both need to be proud of your store and how much work you’ve put into it. Visitor behavior like heatmaps, session recordings and polls will help you learn more about your visitors and make their experience even better than before. Lucky Orange has these tools and more with a free trial (no credit card needed) and plans that start at US $10/month.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Cheers - Danny

Proud to be a Shopify Plus Partner

- Was my response helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
537 62 129

Hey, @Tim_J 

First off, congratulations on launching a Shopify store. I think it's amazing that you are supporting your daughter's entrepreneurial spirit at a young age. It's really great to see! I think you've done a pretty good job getting the basics with the storefront. I'd be happy to offer up some tips and feedback on how to build on what you've got so far.

Since she's selling membership and it's the one product on the store, I'd recommend utilizing a theme that is tailored for small catalogs. Narrative is a free theme developed by us at Shopify I would highly recommend it. The theme is ideal for stores with a single product, or a small number of products. It's also designed for visual storytelling. This is so you can showcase the finer details of your scrunchies with customizable image blocks, quote slides, and more. 

From there, I recommend checking out our Shopify design articles to get inspiration and ideas on how to build a great looking webpage with Shopify. Homepage Design 101 is a recommended resource to check out!

Lastly, we have the essential store launch checklist and making your first sale in 30 days guide that will help you ensure you've got your store ready to process and ship out orders and also some actionable steps you can take to get traffic to the website and market the business. I hope that helps! If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
2 0 1

This is really great advice.

Thank you!!

Although that means Dad has a bunch more work to do.  Lol

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey @Tim_J,

That's a really cool concept, what a great idea your daughter had! After looking at your store, I have three recommendations: 

1. Fix your store and product SEO

This is what your website would look like currently if someone shared it on social media:

scrunchie-meta.png

We show how to fix this in the video. The most important piece of selling is getting the right kind of traffic to your store, your target audience. We hear from a lot of store owners A LOT that they get a lot of traffic but no conversions. 

2. Create an Active Social Media Presence 

Especially with this type of subscription product, social media will add buzz to the product and trust to your brand. Instagram or TikTok would be the place your target audience would be spending their time.

3. Design Changes

I would recommend changing the main photo on your website to show someone wearing the scrunchie. Make sure the photo is high resolution so that it does not stretch out and blur.

screencapture-scrunchieclub-ca-2020-10-21-10_48_20 (1).png

Since you only have one subscription product, I feel like a typical theme might not be the best choice for you. You are going to end up with a lot of spaces to fill that you don't need. A landing page type theme may be a better option for you for now. You can always switch it up in the future if you expand your product line.

If you have any questions, you can contact us using the information in our signature. We hope our response was helpful, if it was, let us know by giving us a thumbs up!

Best of luck!

FREE CHRISTMAS GRAPHICS FOR YOUR STORE
Store Banners & Pop-ups!
8 Store Banners • 8 Store Pop-Up Graphics • Percentage Off Variations Ranging from 20% - 75% off
Download for FREE!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
753 17 217

Hi @Tim_J !

Change your hero banner - your text is not well-seen, either change the background image, or change the font color. 

Add a favicon.  

I have also found that there are only a few products in your store, try adding more products so that your customers will have a lot of options to select from.

Homepage designs guides your visitors around your website. To engage visitors you need to work on homepage layout design.  Include trust indicators on the homepage. Homepage content should be strategically decided.

When it comes to single-item stores it might be challenging driving traffic and have sales because the market for that product might not be too big. That is why I advise to work in partnership with other companies that sell complementary products or services.

Use a referral program that will encourage your existing customers to share your products with their friends by giving discounts if the latter have purchased something from your store. With referral programs it is important to carefully set up so that you are not giving huge discounts and not getting anything back. [I recommend using one by Growave., because it is safe and it is integrated with 6 other marketing features (Reviews, Wishlist, Rewards, Social Login, Instagram, Discounts, Referral, VIP tiers) for better performance. 

Hopefully, I managed to help you. If so, please let me know by liking this post.

Growave is the all-in-one marketing platform that has
- Visual Reviews with automated emails
- Loyalty&Rewards
- Wishlist
- Instagram
- Social Login + more

Increase conversions with ease here
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1467 75 248

Hello @Tim_J, I hope you are doing good. Here are some suggestions that will help you to increase customer engagement and conversions:-

-  Add about us page in the header menu. Create a brand logo. Add a favicon. Change the font on the banner image.

-  Add attractive high-quality slider images or banner image with a call to action button on it.  

- Setup announcement bars or timers to promote your offers on the store.

- Set up web push notifications on your store and it will help you in reaching your customers and visitors directly.

- Add social media links, privacy, shipping, and return policies. 

- Set up a reward program for giving points and let customers redeem on their next purchase.

- Set up Newsletter Subscription with automatic emails with thankyou and discount coupon.

To implement these customer engagement tools in your store. I would recommend you to install AiTrillion.com. It is 'All in One' Shopify app that has all the essential features in a single app and is a fully integrated app.  Plus you don't need to install multiple apps. You can check it out. I am sure you will find it useful.

I am also happy to assist you in setting up the above features in your store. Looking forward to your reply soon.

We are happy to help sellers to increase sales in this BFCM.

Sachin D | Shopify Growth Expert @ AiTrillion

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- 10+ Years of eCommerce experience.
- 1400+ Stores Designed on Shopify.
- 13+ Shopify Apps launched on app store.
- All in One Marketing App on Shopify AiTrillion Marketing Automation
0 Likes