Please give constructive feedback on my Candle Store, Thanks!

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hey Shopify Community,

My Store - www.joannewong.co

I'm looking for constructive feedback in my new shop (The photo, the flow, the copywriting, the color and etc). This is a candle store where I hand-pour all of the candles myself. Am not too familiar with copywriting and marketing, appreciate any suggestion from the community. 

Thank you! 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey Joanne,

Thanks for requesting feedback!

Upon first notice, your favicon seems to be missing. I recommend adding this to polish off your shop.

Remove exclamation points from buttons, titles, and most of your paragraphs. Exclamation points tend to portray too much pushiness or desperation, even if that's not what you intend, which can be a turn-off for shoppers.

Love the subtle pop-up feature in bottom left, "so and so added X to their cart." Keep that, along with the chat option button in bottom right.

Scrolling through the top graphics feels a bit nauseating because of the parallax. Parallax is really cool in small batches or when applied to the overall site, so I recommend breaking up these graphics where some are on white background only. For example, keep "Joanne Wong X Candle," "Candle X You," and "Wax Melts" sections as parallax, but change "About the Brand" and "Soywax Candles."

Also, a huge percentage of users tend to bounce off your site after the first bit of screen they see (Google: "Above the Fold Website.") Because of this, I recommend moving your "Best Selling" section to the top of the page underneath "Joanne Wong X Candle" to encourage more shopping.

I recommend having a copywriter help you with copy. There are grammar errors and extra verbiage, and a lot of the words could be swapped out to be more enticing.

Main photos look great, keep it up! However, product photos can be improved with lighting, camera angles, and staging.

Edit all product photos to be the same proportion. I've found that square works well, but your landscape proportions can work, too, for the product that you have.

Great feature for customer reviews, but I see 2/3 products are empty with no stars. I recommend reaching out to past customers for reviews or even ask friends/family to help with this. 

Add pages to describe your shipping and return policies to establish more trust.

A blog is a great feature for SEO and to educate your customers. Keep up the posts!

I noticed the first blog post does not seem complete in text, and the picture loaded a bit slowly. Keep your images under 1mb for fastest load.

I have to get running on a few client projects, so those are my notes for now.

Keep up the good work, and please don't hesitate to message me with any questions.

Working with small businesses to establish branding, online presence, and strategy for marketing and operations.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
458 50 100

Hi @Joannewong_co,

Hyde here from Shopify.

Congratulations on setting up a great store!

When I was on your store I noticed you didn't have your favicon set up. This is a really cool feature and it makes the page look a lot more trustworthy and professional. The favicon is the little logo you see in the tabs on your browser.

Monosnap_2018-05-21_14-12-43

While I suspect you're using a third-party theme (ie. not a Shopify free theme) perhaps the process for adding a favicon is similar? With a Shopify theme you can add your own logo to your store in the theme editor by going to Theme settings > Favicon here:

09-43-glt6f-lqe2e

In terms of the copy on the store: you could get really creative with your product descriptions to really clinch those conversions.

There are even some templates you could use to speed up the process.

Perfect for ___________________________ (ideal situation),
these _______________ (product name)
can be/will _______________ (tell a quick story).
(Product name) ______________
are ______________ (top features)
to _______________ (product benefits).
No more _____________________ (pain and/or challenge).

Example:
Perfect for weekend getaways in the mountains, these Mighty Camper Cups will bring you and your friends or loved ones closer together around a campfire. Exactly what mountain trips were made for! Our Mighty Camper Cups are sturdy and built just for you with insulated fibers to ensure that your hot cocoa stays hot and your iced tea stays iced. No more crying over spilled milk!

And then ultimately you need to consider your content strategy. Consider what media you will use to communicate your brand message and vision. Consider too how you can create a two-way conversation with your customers.

I hope this all helps!

All the best, Hyde.

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey Joanne,

Candles are doing big business right now as people are stock at home and want to feel comfy and want a home that has a nice aroma. Here are some tweaks I would make to your product pages:

Product Page  Feedback

1. Make sure all your product images are the same size and dimensions and the same style/brand. This is going to help tie your site together

2. Add a longer product description as this is how you convince someone to buy on your site. Plus it helps with SEO and ranking in organic search

3. Add links to your shipping and return/refund policy on each product page... once you make these pages. I don't see these pages anywhere on your site

4. Ask past customer to leave more reviews and help build up your social proof. This will help lead to more sales

5. Make sure the images used on your collection page all have the same style/layout. Really helps tie a store together and starts to build a brand if you make it a unique way to show off your product. Product images are a big reason people do or do not buy from a site

Your store just needs some tweaks to take it up a level. Hope you found this helpful, if so please click "like" below to let me know.

We help ecommerce & DTC brands create, manage and scale profitable PPC campaigns: TakeSomeRisk.com

P.S. Take my Google Shopping Course and help grow your revenue this month.
0 Likes