Please help, what am I doing wrong.

Solved
Highlighted
2 0 0

Dear Shopify Community

I am asking for help by way of any feedback on my store. It is fair to say I am in the last chance saloon and at my wits end. I built the store back in August 2018 and despite F.B adds and Yell.com PPC, I have never sold a single product.

I have spent a lot of money, learnt a lot of things but the budget dictates I can't keep investing without sales coming in. This is my dream. I would be so grateful for any positive advice.

A summary thus far

Jan 2017 - Today

A paid member of Oberlo 101 and Chris Wanes Advanced Dropshipping Academy, I have courses from Udemy on F.B advertising, I worked through The Intellygynce Academy and read countless Amazon books.

Aug 2018 – Today

Built the store www.coolcatbazzar.com. Logo was from Fivver.com.

Aug 2018 – Nov 19

I completed the building of the store set just for sales in the United States.

Nov 2019

Set up for worldwide sales

On the 27/1/20

Shopify froze my store because my payment source declined but now resolved. The store was off-line for about an hour.

I have ordered test products from my store to evaluate. The shipping time was long. I watched Jessica from Oberlo discussing this on her channel I read from it that shipping times shouldn’t be a problem.

I think it is shipping times.

I need seasoned Shopifyers to give some feedback on the feel and whether or not the store seems legit any feedback on why you think I cant sell would be immensely appreciated. We do seem to get organic traffic.

I no longer have a day job due to Covid and so Cool Cat Bazzar is all the more important.

Please help, thank you for reading, 

Steve

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
460 51 97

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Cool_Cat_bazzar,

Hyde here from Shopify.

First off I want to congratulate you on setting up your store. These are trying times for everyone, and you've pivoted by starting your own business.

You've clearly also done loads of research, which is great. My first bit of advice, though, would be: you need to be wary of overwhelming yourself with too much all at once. The core premise is actually very simple. You need to sell something that has a specific purpose and speaks to a certain kind of crowd, or tribe. Only average stores try to target the average consumer.

So, step one:

1. Go specific.

Pick a niche that you are knowledgeable about and curate your products around it. In a saturated market, it’s best to be specific instead of broad.

Pitching your store as a Middle-Eastern market (or bazaar) is therefore not a great idea. Incidentally, it is spelled bazaar not bazzar. Be wary of misspellings in your branding because they will detract from the professionalism and trustworthiness of your brand. 

At the moment you're spreading yourself thin without a primary focus:

20-09-csmu6-3nqlu

You need to sell a narrative or theme. Here's Seth Godin saying it way better than I ever could:

2. Find that thing that is unique about your specific niche. What can you bring to the table that's different?

A really helpful exercise is to try to find what your brand purpose is. Google's stated purpose is to "organize information and make it accessible to everyone". Disney is looking to "make everyone happy". Try to outline your purpose in 12 words or less, and we've got your core passion.

There's a fantastic book called "Zag" by Marty Neumeier about this if you're interested. Now, please complete this sentence:

Our brand is the only ______________________ that ____________________.

If you cannot identify what it is that only your brand can do those others can't, it will make carving out space in the marketplace that bit harder.

3. Next, What community do you see your new brand forming? What contribution is it making to the world? And what type of person will join you on your mission and form part of that community? Who is your customer? What do they read/watch/listen to? Are they male or female? Old or young?

Don't try to appeal to everyone. That's a recipe for disaster. There’s a great guide to creating customer personas here. Once you have an idea of who you're targeting and why you can start creating content that speaks to them on the right channels and on the right wavelength. We've plenty of content creation tips here.

I hope this helps, but I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have!

All the best, Hyde.

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hyde

Thank you so much for taking the time to look and comment. Giving us the benefit of your e-commerce knowledge has given Carole my wife and I food for thought. We are now putting together another plan with a fresh approach but more than that it after two years and no sale has re fired us, I am so great full for  your initial words.

The Bazzar in Cool Cat Bazzar was born out of a book I read on Brands. The book wasn’t really very but I did get a real gem from it this is it. If a word is played upon in a way to make the reader have to move it from the unconscious mind to the conscious causing us to think this Can create an anchor in the memory lol I bet you won’t forget that fantastic store called Cool Cat Bazzar.

Thanks again Hyde 

Steve

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 1 1

Hi Steve, congrats on creating a store and the amount of research you have done is commendable. Great work

What has your Facebook ad strategy and spend been like?

0 Likes