Seeking critique on new DeadtoBones.com shop

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello fellow Shopifiers! I am seeking honest (but constructive) critique for my new shop https://deadtobones.com.

It is performing terribly! I know it’s new (opened August 10) but my conversion rate is embarrassingly low! Here’s what I’m doing:

- I’ve been adjusting ads and audiences throughout and can easily target this niche (Halloween shirts for kids and adults). Paid ads on Insta, FB, Google ads, Pinterest in a combination of interest/keyword targeting and remarketing to website visitors and lookalikes.

- added robust privacy, shipping, and returns policies to inspire trust

- tested shop’s loading speed and performance, both within range

- wrote better product descriptions

-added Insta feed to home page

-added “About” page to humanize and inspire trust 

I’m starting to believe it’s my product - seems shoppers do not like my aesthetic and design. These are all designed by me and are not third-party drop ship items. It is keeping me up at night! I would truly appreciate your impressions and advice.

Sincerely,

DtB 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
512 54 102

Hi @DeadtoBones,

Hyde here at Shopify. Great question!

This is a common question among new startups: why am I not getting more sales?

You've made the exciting step of starting your own store, and you've focused on a niche, which is excellent. That said, is your site solely catering to clothing for Halloween? Because if so, there are 2 things to consider:

1) People are likely to want to wear costumes more than they are Halloween-themed t-shirts.
2) If your entire inventory is focused on one night of the year, then you're limiting your scope and relevance for the remainder of the year.

So it might be worth considering whether your product line and brand need a little tweaking/broadening/pivoting. In fact, it might be worth starting earlier than that, and asking yourself "why am I doing this in the first place?"

You see, you're looking to do more than sell customers mere products. You want to sell them an idea or story that they can subscribe to. Simon Sinek has a great explanation of the importance of establishing your "why" because it's only when you're concrete on what you believe and are clear in communicating that with others that they will literally buy into your idea:

Do you have a passionate belief or value that you want to champion? And if you do, can you communicate it in about 7 words or less? For example, Google's stated purpose is to "organize information and make it accessible to everyone". Disney is looking to "make everyone happy". What's your core passion? If you can clarify what it is you want to contribute to the world, you'll have a better sense of what sort of t-shirt products you will want to sell and whom to.

You will want to know who you're hoping to enlist in your mission or movement, and there's a great guide here on how to create customer personas. Once you have your "why" and your product line, and you know who your audience is, you can then think about your visual identity. What does your website look like and why does it look that way?

You see everything on your site should have a reason for being there and be clear about it. This is generally called UX design and there are some great resources for considering your customer's journey through your store, from the moment they land to the moment they (hopefully) make a purchase:

Here are some great examples of visual identities for inspiration on how to present your brand. And there's a fantastic guide here on getting started with user experience design.

Once you are clear on why you're selling what you're selling, who you're selling it to, and the tone and sense of your brand, you will then want to look at your content marketing game. Content is the bread crumbs that lead your customer to engage with and hopefully develop loyalty with your mission and product(s). There's more on the Smart Content Marketing Funnel here. This will help you plan and curate the journey your customer takes to reach your website, navigate the website, and hopefully return to the website!

I hope this all helps, let me know if you have any other questions! All the best, Hyde.

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes