Selling Eyeglasses Online: Store Feedback

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi, I'm an eye doctor and I created a store that launched in October. I'm selling a very specific product, that helps people who are spending most of their days in front of a computer (most of us today). I'd love some feedback from the community about my store: www.screenrxyewear.com 

As far as marketing, I am promoting the product to my own patients. I'm also doing about 1k per month on ad spend for Google Ads and Facebook Ads. So far no sales from those channels. As my product requires quite a bit of understanding of the science behind it, I'm hoping people will return to buy it after contemplating for several months. 

Thank you for all feedback! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
106 0 19

You say that your glasses are available in prescription, but I don't see any way to put in a description.  Also it's not clear to me why you ask so many questions before add to cart.  Like is occupation necessary? 

I think if I saw that form just to add to cart I wouldn't buy anything.  Plus I don't know how they would fit on me.  If they don't fit what are options for returing?

How could I put my presciption in?

A lot of these things aren't clear.  Plus $200 dollars is a lot to pay for glasses online if it's not clear how to put a prescription in or how to return.  It would be worth it though if I could call you and talk to you about my eye problems and you could help me fix them.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Mark-- are you able to see the 30-day satisfaction guarantee bar on the top? It's included there as well as right in the product description for each product. If you are not totally satisfied you get to return within 30 days. 

As for the prescription, if you fill in the form-- as you enter your fields more questions will show and one of them is for the eyeglass prescription. 

I understand what you mean about it being a cumbersome form-- however this is done intentionally since it is a highly customizable product. We need the customer to be committed to buying something that will be totally custom for their eyes and those questions are necessary. We are not targeting someone who will be a quick, impulse buyer. The hope is they can see the value in the product and are encouraged to let us know as much as they can about their eyes and how they use their eyeglasses. 

Are you suggesting a phone consultation area on the site? That seems like a very good idea. 

Thanks for all your feedback! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
393 72 157

Hey, Dr. Chatha!

Jason here from Shopify Support.

After reading the thread and visiting your store, my initial question is the same as Mark's. How could I buy these glasses if I have prescriptions? With the forms you have created, currently, there is no place for us to fill this information out. 

With the form you have set up on the product page, there are a few adjustments you can make to make it more welcoming and enticing for the customers to go forward with the purchase. Here are my recommendations:

1. There is really no need to collect the first name and the last name on the product page. If the person decides to buy the glasses, he/she will have to fill out his/her information on the checkout page along with billing information. 
2. You should include the place where if the customers require prescriptions on the form. This is quite important because I would assume that's where your primary customers going to come from. (It's easier to persuade a person who's already wearing glasses to buy your specialized glasses versus a person who never has a need to wear glasses to buy your specialized glasses.)
3. At "Pupillary Distance" section, you may want to make it clickable directly to the "Pupillary Distance" page you have created under "FAQ" so the customers, if confused, can find out the answer right away.

4. For the very last question on the form, you may want to clarify on what this "height" is referring to. Is it referring to a person's height? If so, typically people won't know their inches right of the bat. Perhaps it will be useful including conversion in the selections. For instance, 60 inches (5 feet/ 5' or 152 cm). Having the more common measurements ready in the selections can save the customers' time from clicking away to other pages - potentially confused them further with the conversion results, and in turn, you will lose sales. 

If you are going to set up a phone consultation area, please note that you/ or other eye doctors will have to dedicate your/their time the phone line. Since there will be no control on who calls in and what his/her question is going to be, you may want to wait until your business grows first. When it is stable enough, you can always look into setting up a customer care line (for product related issues only), instead of consulting on customers who may have really eye issues and wanting to get consulted over the phone. Ultimately, you may trap yourself into some legal issues if you consulted customers on their eye problems without having them physically in your office. 

Since you are offering a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, you may want to look into making the return/refund method easier for the customers. If you do not want to create a return shipping label for them on your behalf, you may want to invest in apps that could help you create return shipping labels for your customers, such as Aftership Returns Center and Return Magic.

When you mentioned your digital marketing budget, is it $1000 splitting between Google Adwords and Facebook ads; or are you referring to you have $1000 for each marketing channel? How are the ad campaigns going? Are they bringing you the traffics? Have you seen some spikes in traffics? Have you used Shopify Analytics to help you understand your ad campaigns' effects? I would love to hear more about your digital marketing experience so I can help you achieve your goal. In the meantime, if you haven't done so already, I encourage you to visit our Facebook marketing blog. There are great posts on how you can utilize Facebook pixels to understand your traffic better and other tips on how to grow and analyze your Facebook ads. 

If there’s anything else I can help you out with, please don’t hesitate to reply back and I’d be happy to help out! Alternatively, you can always give us a call or start a live chat at any time. We're open 24/7 for your convenience and always happy to assist!

All the best,

Jason

Jason | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Jason-- thank you for your thorough response and analysis! 

The reason we would like to have the first and last name on the form is because someone may want to buy glasses as a gift a family member or loved one. 

As for the prescription- the form is conditionally formatted. So once you answer that you wear eyeglasses a field will show up to include the prescription. But I understand this might be a point of confusion so I will look into having the prescription field right at the top. 

I'm doing 1K total adspend on Google Display ads and Facebook Ads. I'm getting great traffic from both channels-- around 1700 sessions last month. However, none of them have lead to a sale. I have noticed FB ads are performing better in Google Analytics-- they are having a greter average session duration. What other analytics would you recommend looking at to determine successful ad campaigns? 

Thanks again for all of your feedback. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
393 72 157

Hi, Dr. Chatha.

With capturing the name, I understand what you were talking about but instead of forcing people entering the name on the form, it may make more sense to have a clickable note function at the bottom of the page. If it is indeed a gift, then the customers can click it and enter the name of the recipient. Again, having a form wanting people's personal details prior to them deciding to add the product to their cart perhaps isn't the best idea. 

I tried your product page again after you had made some modification to it and when I select the following, there are still no fields for me to fill out my prescription. You can check out the experience in the video I've made here. Was it because I click on "No" that I don't have an image of my prescription? But if I don't have an image yet I know my prescription, where would I fill it out? 

It's great to know that you are getting traffics. Since you are getting better traffic with Facebook ads, I recommend you read over this article on how to use Facebook pixel. There are two apps I suggest you take a look: Lucky Orange and Hitsteps Analytics. These apps allow you to see heat maps and videos of what the customer does on the site. They offer great insight into where your customers are dropping off, and why people don't covert.

When you have a moment, you may also want to go over the analytics on your Shopify dashboard. You can access it by Shopify admin > Analytics > Dashboards. Once you scroll down a little bit, you will see a brief review of where the traffic is coming from. 

You will be able to understand your traffic a little better and how effective your ads are doing. Wishing you great success in converting your traffic into sales!

Best,

Jason

Jason | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

0 Likes