Shopify CDN not working well for collection pages - 20-40 second load time

Sneakers_Hive
5 0 0

Hi Guys,

I need your input about collection pages(https://sneakershive.com/collections/shoes-accessories) loading very slow. The home and product page loads fine even though images count on those pages are equal to collection pages. I checked through different tools as well like GTMetrics etc. You see alot of blocking time before image loading requests from shopify cdn. Please see attached image and advise?

Brown color shows blocking time. You will see blocking time infront of major js and images loading in below image. I have 50k+ variants of different sneakers and shoes in store. IS cdn slowing because of too much images? But point is there are images on main page and product page too. They load quite quickly. I have 15 mbps connection. So, my connection is not slow.

This has started happening from last 5-6 days. I disabled all newly added apps but issue is still there. Below image shows that shopify cdn is slow for images and js files fetching.

Screenshot (205).png

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
1628 0 0

When I check this page on a standard LTE connection I don't notice an issue with images since those are compressed and image-based content is roughly 20% of the page (which loads in 4~5 seconds):

Annotation 2020-07-21 131723.png

The big issue I notice is that you're loading over 70 individual stylesheets and scripts, is there a reason there are so many needed on the site? I don't notice issues with image compression and Shopify's CDN isn't the issue here, it's more likely your theme assets. Rather than running every script used in your theme all at once, it's better to load these individually on pages when and if they're even needed using conditional flow tags.

Themes that are made from templates like yours are great but the cost there for faster deployment at a lower cost is poor page speed since you'll always wind up with unused content. While this should be applied by your theme developer during development, you can learn how to apply this to content and apps here: https://speedboostr.com/liquid-lesson-conditionally-load-apps/

0 Likes
Sneakers_Hive
5 0 0
Yes i am aware of these scripts but with these scripts page loading was 4-7
seconds on my browser and on GtMetrics as well. But from last 6 days speed
on my browser is 15-30 seconds NOW and on GtMetrics its 4-7 seconds.

0 Likes
Sneakers_Hive
5 0 0

I dont remember the tool with which i checked that was showing time to receive first byte from server was 10-12  seconds. I saw somewhere for some people it was some heavy loop in code causing issue. Is there any tool which can tell us any liquid file which is causing issue. Since product and home pages are faster so issue seems to be with collections page only. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes