Sitemaps error in Google Search Console

Highlighted
Excursionist
33 0 1

Hi,

When I try to add sitemaps for some of my pages I get the error message "Your Sitemap appears to be an HTML page. Please use a supported sitemap format instead".

I would really appreciate some help in fixing this issue.

Thank you.

Raluca

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
26 5 3

Hi arpconsulting,

Documentation on how to submit a sitemap can be found here. Important thing to know is that your store needs to be live and not password protected in order for the sitemap to work. Also your sitemap URL has to be something like this: your-store.com/sitemap.xml. Hope this helps you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
33 0 1

Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me. I have a live store and I have successfully submitted the sitemap for my website's URL in the format suggested by you below. However, I would like to add additional sitemaps (like the ones for collections and some of individual products). And when I copy and paste the URL in Google Search Console, I get the message mentioned in my first post.

Thanks,

Raluca

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
450 63 127

@arpconsulting There are no additional sitemaps required. When you submit 'yourstore.com/sitemap.xml' to Google that is the one and only sitemap you need. It includes links to all the pages of your site (products, collections etc). Make sense?

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution
1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
33 0 1

Hi,

Thank you for the clarification. I am a newbie on Google Search console and for instance, if I try to search on Google one of my product pages (https://www.suplimenteyamamoto.ro/products/vitamina-c-1000mg-90-tablete?_pos=1&_sid=a9e540cf0&_ss=r ), Google does not return any result... Therefore, I thought a sitemap for a specific product category could help.

Thanks,

Raluca

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
450 63 127

Google takes time to crawl & then index your whole site (can be days, weeks, sometimes longer). No way around that I'm afraid. You've done what you can in that regard.

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution
0 Likes