Slow load time for some pages

Solved
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 3

Hi guys, I have some pages on my store that I feel can load a lot faster, I want some help Identifying what could be slowing down these pages and the best practices to endeavour in solving this. Thanks

https://www.doggyplaza.com/pages/products

https://www.doggyplaza.com/collections/human-accessories

https://www.doggyplaza.com/collections/pet-apparel-1

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi Bezeus,

I would suggest you to look at apps you have on your Shopify store. Some of them might affect on the page loading. I have checked your shop with Google Speed insights and found following things:

01.jpg

You can check yourself visiting this URL https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.doggyplaza.com%2Fprodu...

Hope it helps.

❤️ Found my answer helpful? Please LIKE or Accept Solutions.
❤️Shopify Calculator - What's the Cost of a Shopify Store? Read More
1 Like
Highlighted

Hi @Bezeus,

Yes, you need to work on your website performance’s speed as I am seeing it is very low. Low mobile page speed may kill your traffic and affect your conversion. Your google page mobile speed score is only 35% and desktop speed score is 71% . It should be above 80.

Mobile: 

doggy.png

Desktop:

dog.png

There are many numbers of pages on your website with poor loading time which need instant attention. Fast page load time will also boost your website’s crawl rate. 

In order to Improve website speed your need to:

1. Remove unnecessary code on a high priority basis.
  2. Compressed images or Defer offscreen images.
  3. Web Pages need to be Minified.
  4. Reduce JavaScript execution time
  5. Minimize main-thread work
  6. Use fast and reliable hosting
  7. Beware of excessive liquid loops
  8. Decrease thumbnail image size
  9. Weigh the benefits of installing another app

By fixing these issues, your website speed score can definitely improve. For more details please check - https://www.oscprofessionals.com/shopify-performance-optimization/

I hope you like my feedback!!! If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask!!

Thank You!

Want to modify or incorporate custom changes on store, Hire us
If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution .
Email: pallavi@oscprofessionals.com
Whats app
Free Website Review and advice for sale from Shopify Conversion Experts | Shopify Private App | Custom Theme Development | Custom Modifications In To Shopify Theme | Shopify SEO ; Digital Marketing & amp | Site Speed Optimization | Performance Site Audit
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
77 8 21

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Bezeus,

To be able to help you solve your actual problem, I have two questions. 

1. What made you want to speed up your site?

If you want that because you want to improve conversions, there may be more effective ways of achieving your goal.

If your conversions are already good, speeding up will have a noticeable effect. 

Otherwise you should look elsewhere in the funnel—your traffic sources, the ad copy, the product page images and copy and so on.

To quickly improve your conversion rate you may want to get on a bug hunt. 

And before that, check where the traffic is dropping off from your funnel.

2. What tool did you use to determine that the pages are loading slow?

The reason I'm asking is that most of the tools online show you Lab results.
More on the difference between lab and real user measurements

What you want to know is not how a tool in an ideal environment loads your site (lab test), but how your visitors load your site (real-user measurements or RUM). You have data on these in your Google Analytics.

To see your real user measurements:

1. Open Google Analytics on your computer
  2. Filter out the countries that you don't target/ship to
    You don't want stray traffic from countries with slow internet speed (that you even aren't targeting) to skew your data.
  3. Go to Behavior > Site Speed > Overview
    There you'll see the average page speed of your site, the way your target customers are experiencing. That's what matters to you. Is it low? Can you live with that number? I bet it is different from what Google's/Pingdom/GTMetrix tests are telling you.
  4. To see which are the pages that need attention go to Behavior > Site Speed > Page Timings and make sure the Comparison mode is selected (middle icon in top right above the table with results)

Most of your speed problems are in the theme's code.
You can start getting to know what is causing your slowdown, if you think there is any, by checking for zombie code first.

If there is any, removing it would give you the biggest speed gains.

So, what are the results?
Is your site really as slow as you thought?

I help family-run Shopify stores increase sales from existing traffic Learn More
Problem Solved? ✅ Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? Let me solve it for you: rumen@rumendimitrov.com
Did my answer save you time? Buy me a coffee, please ☕ :) paypal.me/braiv
1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 3

I always see the defer parsing option, whats it mean and how do I implement it please?

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 3

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply, fortunately before receiving answers for the post I set out to remove the zombie codes and that really did the trick, but still I always see the defer parsing option as a possible option of optimizing the site even further, whats it mean and how do I implement it please?

Then in terms of leveraging browser cache like adding expiring durations for apps installed, is it actually possible to leverage it from my end? if so how but if not can it be optimized from the app developers part?

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
77 8 21

the defer parsing option, whats it mean and how do I implement it please?

This means you have to move your javascript code to the end of the page AND/OR include the 'defer' attribute to any script tag.

Also, you could defer loading the CSS.

There is on big caveat though—moving script tags from your theme's header to the theme's footer may break functionality, as most themes have section specific/page specific javascript that they have. This would require writing those sections... Anytime you want to optimize Javascript on a Shopify theme (and you lack the skills) you get yourself in trouble. That's why I advise my clients to pick good themes before hand.

Skip the "defer parsing" option for now. Figure out the rest.

Then in terms of leveraging browser cache like adding expiring durations for apps installed, is it actually possible to leverage it from my end?

Not possible, as you don't have server level access.

can it be optimized from the app developers part?

Yes, they could. Notify the ones whose apps' files you see mentioned in the report.

I help family-run Shopify stores increase sales from existing traffic Learn More
Problem Solved? ✅ Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? Let me solve it for you: rumen@rumendimitrov.com
Did my answer save you time? Buy me a coffee, please ☕ :) paypal.me/braiv
0 Likes