Slow loading website

Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 3

Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help me or guide me in the right direction but I purchased this Turbo theme from "Out of the Sandbox" (https://outofthesandbox.com/collections/themes/products/turbo-theme-portland) that's suppose to focus on performance however, its loading slower than a free theme... I've reached out to them and they guided me to the community and to also check Google Site Speed.

I am still in the setting up phase which worries me considering the minimal content that is on there right now and how slow it is. For example, under "Shop Wireless" -> Apple iPhone -> Selecting any product (or even trying to load the collection page) can take up to 10-20 seconds to load up. There will be the very ODD times that it actually loads immediately but in most cases that we tested it out on other computers, servers, including mobile (without WiFI) - typically loads extremely slow. 

Any suggestions??

URL: https://jumpca1.myshopify.com/

speed.png

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1220 120 308

Hey there, @WillC 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

It is great to hear that you have been so proactive when it comes to your page speed it is also great to hear that you have reached out to the theme developers for assistance as they are definitely the best equipped to help you out with their theme. 

While the speed test tool is super insightful,  it’s easy to take Google’s PageSpeed Insights advice on your Shopify theme a bit too much to heart while also ignoring some easier ways to improve your site performance. For both desktop and mobile, it's important to keep in mind that the score Google gives you is just one factor that determines how your site is ranking and how well it performs for users and in search rankings. While it's always a good idea to what you can to improve your site speed, chasing after a 100 is not a good use of your time as a business owner. Keep in mind that most, if not all, of the elements that page testing tools flag are necessary to make it possible for your customers to browse and buy on your site.

With that said, there are plenty of ways that you can improve your site speed without needing advanced development.

• Compress your images: Compressing your images is the easiest way to speed up your page and there are plenty of tools out there to do so. Two tools that I would recommend are ImageOptim and Compress JPEG. These tools make minute changes to your JPEG images that can result in some significant speed improvements. However, keep in mind that if very high-quality photography is a must for your site, this can be one of those areas that you’ll need to decide if speed or image quality is more important.
  • Cut down on the number of banner images: Slideshows on your homepage can look great, they are however one of the biggest time contributors to page load times. I would recommend restricting the number of slides to two.
  • The number of images: The more images, the more time it takes to load a page. That said, product images are one of the most important features tosell online. In order to cut down on the number of images, plan out how to maximize the view in each photo. In some cases, a single shot can effectively do the job of two or more separate images. Another option is to create a standalone page for additional product photos that shoppers can click on if they need to see more visuals.
  • Delete unused apps: Third-party apps can also add to your loading time, so it’s always good to avoid app overload. I would also recommend doing a speed test before and after installing any app to see if it is worth the functionality.
  • Eliminate sections: Removing unnecessary text and image sections from the homepage can greatly improve your homepage. Give your shoppers a brief peek at the content and then link to a separate page that houses the actual content. Also, consider removing social media feeds and widgets as these can add significant load time.
  • Fonts: Standard, ubiquitous Web-safe fonts such as Arial and Times New Roman will work pretty much everywhere and with no page speed consequences at all; however they can be a little boring, so you may want to use a more interesting third-party Web font from Google Fonts, for example. But because these fonts “live elsewhere,” using them can affect page speed because the browser often has to go and fetch these fonts before it can display them. The impact may only be slight, but it’s still a good idea to limit these third-party font styles to one or two max on your site.

All the Best,

Bo

Bo - Social Care @ Shopify

Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted

Hello ,
these are the optimization methods needs to apply for your website,
1) Eliminate render-blocking resources - Remove js from header
2) Minify JavaScript
3) amazonaws.com (third party module load) - need to add on lazy load
4) Avoid bad requests - 404
5) Remove unwanted js
6) Need to add lazy load for Third party Module

Want to modify or incorporate custom changes on store, Hire us
If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution .
Email: pallavi@oscprofessionals.com
Whats app
Free Website Review and advice for sale from Shopify Conversion Experts | Shopify Private App | Custom Theme Development | Custom Modifications In To Shopify Theme | Shopify SEO ; Digital Marketing & amp | Site Speed Optimization | Performance Site Audit
1 Like
Highlighted

Hi @WillC 

Personally I would just get another theme.

If you're having this much trouble now imagine in 2 months time when you have built out your website. I had the same problem with a third party theme that cost $190 odd USD I just cut my losses and got another theme. It sucks but you want the best for your website. Build solid foundations at the start of your online journey. It's twice as hard to go back later and fix everything. 

I'll shoot you private message with few free options you could go with that might help. 

Cheers 

Clayton Bates 

Grab Most Detailed FREE Review --->LEARN MORE

Client VIDEO TESTIMONIALS --->VIEW

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 3

Hi Bo,

I've went ahead and compressed my images (all in JPEG), I dont have any banner images, deleted all unused apps, and basic Roboto font. Is there anything you see specifically in my store that could possibly be causing this?

Thanks

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 3

Hi Pallavi,

Thanks for reaching out, just a couple questions:

1.) For eliminating render-block resources, is there a specific header to remove the javascript?

2.) How do you add a lazy load

Or are these points, more-so in "general"? Is there anything specific that you see in my store that may be causing this mostly as I have very minimal on my store currently.

Thanks again

1 Like
Highlighted

Hello ,
1. Render-block resources JS on page which is not use for a page funstionality we will take that all files in footer.
2. Any third party app/plugin you are using is having some JS we put that on lazy load.

Want to modify or incorporate custom changes on store, Hire us
If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution .
Email: pallavi@oscprofessionals.com
Whats app
Free Website Review and advice for sale from Shopify Conversion Experts | Shopify Private App | Custom Theme Development | Custom Modifications In To Shopify Theme | Shopify SEO ; Digital Marketing & amp | Site Speed Optimization | Performance Site Audit
1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
42 0 6

Hey there,

Stores gets slow when there is too much apps installed which takes a lot of resources, when you upload way too much content, when the theme code is not optimized, etc. The most important thing is to clean up as much as you can by yourself. Try to run some tests by yourself using https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights . You can also hire professional like myself for couple $$, so I can take a look into it, run some tests, check code and let you know where is the room for improvement. You can also try app like https://apps.shopify.com/preloader  which allows you to pick background animation for your store and keep customers on website when everything loads in the background

Maciej Tokarczyk
Shopify Expert
0 Likes