Suggestions for a content focused theme, please!

whitneyatdryve
4 0 0

Hi all, I'm new to Shopify and come from a strong Squarespace background... with that being said, I have a client I'm helping merge websites so they're completely running out of Shopify. Currently they are using wordpress for CMS and shopify for very small ecommerce operations.

They have their ecommerce part of the site here: burnwellco.store (as you can see, minimal SKUs) and we'll be adding about 6-7 pages that are purely content focused (about the company, about their commitment to sustainability, about their various products (cannabis- that cannot be purchased online, etc.)). We like shopify extensions and tools so we want to stay here but does anyone have a good suggestion for a user friendly theme that offers several content only pages right out of the box? 

Thank you for reviewing and offering suggestions!

Sincerely, a recovering squarespace user  

0 Likes

Hey Whitney!

I'm not sure I fully understand your question. All themes allow you to create "Pages" which are static pages purely for content. You can add them to your store navigation in a dropdown or nested dropdown menu. Typically I recommend the Minimal theme, but it looks like you are already using that. Does that answer your question? If not, let me know so I can provide better advice

Dropshipping with no sales? Learn how to find WINNING products!
0 Likes
whitneyatdryve
4 0 0

Thanks for the quick response! I notice that when I add a new page, I'm not able to add a section with a variety of content like images, copy blocks, etc. (as i would in a platform like squarespace). From my research, it sounds like I'm limited to adding custom sections throughout a page unless it is the homepage. How do i get around this? Would I need to get a different theme so i can select a different template for the page? Right now it looks like I have 2 template options (attached image). 

My goal is to add several pages from the navigation that have customized sections so each content page looks and feels very different. 

whitneyatdryve_0-1602698619636.png

0 Likes
whitneyatdryve
4 0 0

also I noticed my theme is Debut version 1.4.0- not sure if that makes a difference here

0 Likes

Gotcha! Now I understand.

This is tricky - it's one of the few areas Shopify falls short on. You basically have 4 options:

1. Create/customize your own page template(s) using coding
  2. Find a pre-created page template (ex Pagefly)
  3. Use a Shopify page builder app (ex Shogun)
  4. Buy a theme that already includes it (you'd have to search through the paid themes to be able to find one appropriate to your needs)

Shogun is great, but pretty pricey, while option 2 isn't much better. If you don't have or know someone with the expertise to create a custom template, try researching into options 2 and 3 - there might be better, or cheaper options than the examples I've listed.

I wish I could provide more insight into a paid theme option, but that changes wildly based upon what you're looking to accomplish. Generally I don't suggest paid themes as they aren't supported by Shopify. If something goes wrong, you have to hope the theme developer will actually get back to you. That said, there are useful themes out there.

Hope that provides some insight! Maybe someone else can suggest a specific theme if you plan on going that route.

Dropshipping with no sales? Learn how to find WINNING products!
whitneyatdryve
4 0 0

Thanks! PageFly seems to do the trick... but... do we know how to import a non-published theme into PageFly? 

Right now I have 2 Shopify themes (Debut and Minimal). Debut is live and my plan is to completely build out the Minimal theme and "flip the switch" so to speak once we're satisfied with the new site design on Minimal. However, with PageFly, the theme it pulled over to design my pages is Debut.... so then when i go to publish and preview the page the spacing and fonts are completely messed up. Anyone know how to solve this? I tried reaching out to Pagefly and they sent me this link with little explanation:  https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/shopify-admin/duplicate-store Not sure if it's applicable but I realized quickly their support wasn't super dialed in. 

Whitney 

0 Likes