The Mallard

7 0 0

I hope you all are doing well!

My name is Griffin Spolansky and I am one of the two 18 year old Founders of www.themallard.com

My Highschool Roommate and I started The Mallard, an upscale clothing company two years ago, and we have recently moved from a private developer to a shopify website.

We are curious to know everyones thoughts on the website, the imagery, the checkout proccess, and obviously the product!

Best,

Griffin Spolansky

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
86 0 7

Hi Griffin!

Daniel here from the Shopify Guru team!

I have to say, you guys have built up a great shop! I particularly like that you have included a video that shows off some of your creations - the video looks very professional. Though I would recommend changing the order - in your main image it says to scroll down to see the video, so I would suggest placing that video directly below the slideshow rather than below the collections. At first I thought the video was missing!

Congratulations guys, keep it up!

Daniel C - Shopify Guru
0 Likes
7 0 0

Daniel, 

Thank you very much!  The reason we placed the video so low is to have people scroll and see our collection first. We looked at a heatmap and found that many people were not scrolling down, and they were missing the collection aspect of our homepage which looks great. is there a way we can have someone click on the bar and have it go straight to that portion of the page?

Any ideas on how we could increase conversion?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Tourist
29 0 2

I would get rid of the large image on the collection pages, People likely arent scrolling down.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
48 0 10

Hey Griffin,

For increasing conversion you should reduce fit concerns - it's difficult for visitors to know which size they should order, since every store has slightly different sizes. This leads to huge drops in conversion.

Here are a few great ways to overcome these concerns:

1. Add measurements of the items. Shoppers who know their measurements will be able to easily select the right size.
  2. Display photos of the items on a model. Mention the model's body size (height / usual size) so that people with a similar body can compare and relate.
  3. Use customer reviews. Most online shoppers wouldn't even consider buying from a store without reviews (I'm sure you use them too when shopping online). I'd love you to check out our app, Loox - Fashion Reviews (https://apps.shopify.com/loox-fashion-reviews), which helps you automatically collect reviews from your customers that include their photos and body details. This way, you can show a variety of body types wearing your items and increase confidence for all visitors. It's completely and forever free for stores who install us while we're still in Beta.

Hope this helps,

Yoni

0 Likes
Tourist
37 0 1

Great lifestyle shots! The white space between the elements looks a bit disjointed, like there's a mistake in the layout. 

The video - meh. I can see the value of a good video - but it is a slideshow with music? C'mon guys! You're two young guys with access to a decent camera - hire your model for a 2 hour shoot and shoot a proper video - search youtube for fashion bloggers and see their examples; you can increase you video's value by 100x by doing this. Also, don't use vertically-orientated footage mixed in with slides, it looks cheap. 

Considering the pricing I'd expect attention to detail inr egards to the quality of the products, therefore attention to detail with the quality of the site. It is a good start, though.

Best wishes

M

0 Likes
7 0 0

Marc,

Thank you for the detailed reply!

I have a few questions for you:

1. can you expand on what you mean by the whitespace?

2. How did you get a sidebar on your site as that is what we want to do with ours

3. The video is so - so but it shows off our products, has a catchy tune, and will make people remember us. Yes, we are striving for great and will input another video when we can, but for now we think it definetly adds to the site. I completely agree with your comments about it though.

Any other ideas on increasing conversion?

Griffin

0 Likes
Tourist
37 0 1

I'll try to expand (i've attached an image - hope it works) http://imgur.com/iKqdrBP

- The sidebar might be an option in your customise them settings - if not, you are using a different theme. I'm using Retina.

M

0 Likes