Two months with no sales

Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi everyone, I have been running my store for two months and I have no sales. I ran a Facebook add and a few added to cart but abandoned. 

I hope somebody will give my an honest feedback and let me know what is wrong. Is it the price? Shipping? I am not sure what to fix.

My store is www.mattsexpo.com.

I do not know how to move forward. 

Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
384 21 53

Hello, Matt! 

Karlie here from the Shopify Guru Team! I would be happy to check out your website and offer you some feedback. My first recommendation would be to figure out who you are as a brand, and what sets you apart from other merchants selling apparel. You will want to work on creating a brand that not only stands out, but something that customers can trust. When a website doesn’t have a clear path of who they are it’s harder for the customer to know who they’re buying from. 

What I would recommend doing is trying to simplify your website, tone down the text and advertisements and emphasize your brand and products. The easiest step to take here would be to not only remove most of the pop-ups, icons and advertisements but also to eliminate a lot of the text you have showing on your homepage. Some of the information displayed can be organized into different pages or even into one general page of information, like a FAQ page. Be sure to check out the blog article, ‘The Benefits of an FAQ Page’ for some more information on creating a FAQ page.

Next, you can focus on the look of your homepage. Aesthetically pleasing homepages would draw a customer in and strike their curiosity to venture through your website. The biggest issue I have with your homepage is the diversity in fonts. A rule of thumb is if you’re going to use multiple fonts, to limit your fonts to just 2 or 3 fonts for your whole website. Using 1 font for the majority of your website and possibly another font for graphics or titles will bring a sense of consistency to your website.

For your homepage, I would recommend focusing on a slideshow or large graphic and featured products or collections. It’s important that the customer knows exactly what your website is all about when viewing your homepage. For me, it would be important to eliminate a lot of the information and graphics on your homepage except a possible slideshow of different lifestyle shots of your products, or photographs of your products by themselves. Then, I would recommend keeping your ‘Collection List’ on your homepage but changing the collection images so that the photographs are similar to one another and to change the font to match the rest of the website. You can still have a promotion on your website, but I would limit your website to 1 promotion per page. For help on designing your homepage, you can always check out some of the resources from our blog. Specifically I would recommend checking out:

Speaking about condensing information on your website, you could always put your collections into dropdown menus. For example, 'The Ladies' Den,' 'Ladies' Intimate Apparel,' and 'Ladies' Bags' could all be under the dropdown menu item of ‘Ladies Apparel’ and your different watch collections could be under a dropdown menu item of ‘Watches.’ To check out how you can condense your navigation items into dropdown menus, be sure to check out our step by step guide here!

I very much want to commend you for already having your social media icons, ‘About Us’, ‘Returns and Refunds,’ ‘Privacy Policy,’ ‘Terms of Service,’ ‘Shipping Terms of Service,’ and ‘Contact Us’ pages set up - I think that those are all very important pages to keep your customers informed and able to connect to you.

I always suggest testing out your website to make sure everything is in working order for your customers. There are a couple of different ways you can do this. What you would want to do is run a test order to make sure that your customers can go through your checkout and place orders successfully. You can run a test order either by simulating a transaction or putting through an order with a real transaction. This guide goes through each process step by step. 

Now, after aesthetic changes are made to your website, I thought it would be important to focus on driving traffic. I want to leave you with some articles about how you can improve traffic and conversion for your website. Be sure to take a read through:

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions - be sure to ask and I would be happy to help!

Karlie
Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

*Karlie* | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
5 0 0

Thank you! This is really helpful! I will let you know once I am done re-doing the site. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1802 30 198

Hello,

Your store was looking great.
I have observed one of the item https://mattsexpo.com/collections/ladies-bags/products/large-capacity-vintage-design-shoulder-bag Gallery image sizes are not in equal, Check it.
In product view page your items have only specification, You can add item description. Product description explains the benefits of the product and convinces the customer that they not only want the product but also need it.
Your product description is the one you have to grab their attention to because it can easily attract them and make them place an order.
And in Cartpage item quantity not updated after add to cart in product page and cart in menu, Check this image https://snag.gy/JVqpK6.jpg .
And i click on "Return to cart" in checkout page then only "Update cart" shows.

Thanks,
Appfreaker.

https://apps.shopify.com/alidropship
0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Thank you! I am in the process of writing descriptions. 

I am not sure how to fix the cart. My theme is a free one from Shopify.

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi Karlie, I have implemented your recommendations. I was hoping you cam give it one more pass before I start working on the other recommendations.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
242 1 22

Hi Matt, I browse your store and here are some tips.

You should make your Facebook link open in new tab. Here is how you can do that.

You should try to make all the pictures on a category page the same size. It looks much better.

Consider changing the name. People will see the sex in it much more than expo and that can discourage some of your customers.

I dont really understand the pin next to an add to cart button. What is it for? 

The issue you are describing may be because of the people that are going to your store. Maybe there is a problem with your ad targeting? But a large part of it is natural. People just don't buy on the first visit to a store. They need more than one visit to make a purchase decision. You should use retargeting ads to get them back to your store. You can check out ROI Hunter Easy for that. ROI Hunter team could also create search ads for you if you put in a request. That might help you to bring the customers looking exactly for the things you sell.

Hope it helps.

Ondra 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
156 3 24

Hi Matt,

Karlie did put some good points, I think you should implement them all.

However, I don't believe that the issues of not getting sales are related solely to the website. 

It might be that you're not advertising enough or not doing that correctly. I think generating relevant traffic is the number ONE problem of every new Ecommerce store.

it can be a quite a complex mission to create good advertising campaigns on Google and Facebook, if you're not familiar enough with the options available or the relevant audinece for your store.

You might want to try AdScale to help you with your advertising campaigns. It's a Shopify app that automatically creates and manage advertising campaigns for your store, using advanced AI technology.

What's unique about this app is that it use insights from milions of active campaigns in order to create a very accurate audience targeting that is tailored to your store and products.

You can learn more about it in this link: ecom.adscale.com

Hope it helps!

Smart advertising campaigns across Google and Facebook, using advanced AI technology. https://ecom.adscale.com/shopify
0 Likes