Vintage shop feedback - very little traffic

Solved
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi guys!

I launched my vintage clothing store in September 2018.

I’d been selling on ebay and had some moderate success there, but my Shopify store has had very few sales and very little traffic (some days, zero traffic!). I recently went months without a single Shopify sale.

I’ve done a few paid ads on Instagram and Facebook, but have had no returns on them. I have just launched another Facebook ad campaign today.

I’ve been focusing pretty much all of my marketing on Instagram and Facebook. Are there other areas I need to be focusing on, and does my storefront need some work?

www.velvetgoldmine.com.au

I’d really appreciate any feedback! :)

This is my first online business, and I’m not sure at what point I should consider doing away with the Shopify store and re-focusing on ebay, as at this stage ebay has been the only platform to generate any sort of income and I’m losing money on the Shopify store.

Cheers!

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
2892 211 471

Hi there, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

First of all, I want to say really good work so far. The site looks very well and professional. With a few tweaks and additions, you are in a great place to succeed. There are a couple of ad tips as well as general observations which I think might help you get there. Let's take a look at them below:

• You mentioned you had tried some Facebook Ads but didn't see any returns on them. Generally, when this is the case, it is the audience being targeted which might be the problem. There is a great technique to help with this called the 3x3x3 method. It will take some testing which is an essential part of any campaign. It works by creating 3 different ads, for 3 different audiences with 3 different sets of images/ text all with a small but similar budget. Over time you will see some of the ads performing better than others and it's here you can begin to drop off the ads not performing very well and increase the budget on the ads doing better which will end up being your key audiences. You can start to accumulate the audiences which work best for your products. There are some guides online offering more information on this in greater detail one of which you can find here.  
  • Instagram is a great tool to find and build an audience from and you can do it relatively cost-free. Organic Instagram engagement is a great marketing technique for doing this. It involves actively engaging and creating conversations with like-minded individuals you identify with. For example, you can find people who are passionate about clothing and vintage clothing from other profiles or stores which are similar such as Nasty Gal. Naturally, these individuals will check out your profile and your store and you have a relevant audience to now market to. A successful Shopify Expert interviewed a store owner who used this method successfully which you might find valuable to listen to here

• Something else I saw which you could add is a favicon for your browser tab. You have a very distinct and good logo. I would probably take the text out of the logo and just add the icon for the favicon. The main benefits are that people can identify your site should they have many other tabs open as well as making your site look more legitimate and professional. You can see the Shopify guide for how to add a favicon here
  • I love your About Us page. It gives people a story as to why you started Velvet Goldmine and the idea behind it, something people can relate to. If there was one thing I would suggest is to add a photo or some sort of visual to the About Us page to give it that little extra. The team at Shopify wrote a blog post which has some examples of great About Us pages which you might gather some inspiration from here
  • When I saw your store was about vintage clothing, the first thing I thought of was a show on Netflix called "Girl Boss". Girl Boss is the story about how Nasty Gal got started, I watched it and was inspired/ motivated about my own store which isn't even about vintage clothing. Hopefully if you do have any time to watch it you will gather some inspiration from it. 

Please don't hesitate to ask should you have any other questions about your store. We're here to help. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

3 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Expert
1151 57 343

Hi VelvetGoldmine! Maggie, Shopify Partner here :)

What a great brand name! I absolutely love it and it suits your business so well! I agree with Nicky regarding the Nasty Gal inspiration - it is a lucrative niche and now this girl is worth millions :)

Your logo is fantastic, and the featured promo image is really engaging, which is perfect at keeping visitors interested and wanting to browse further.

Product images: you will gain better conversion if you improved your product photos. I realize it’s not easy to take pro photos of the product if you only have one item, and once it’s sold, you have to photograph a bunch of new items :) However, your conversion will be much higher. With vintage items, they don’t always look their best on a hanger - they would look so much better worn by someone, and styled into a beautiful outfit. This way people can imagine already wearing it, styling it and it will prompt them to buy it.

My tip would be to organize weekly photoshoots at home - gather with friends, style outfits, and take photos in the garden, or in a well-lit room. You don’t even need a white background - many fashion photos are now taken on the street, in the cafe etc. - like this one:36c20acea28b4271a679745aaa65ce43.jpg

Having fun engaging photos can help you build your brand and boost your sales significantly.

Your product titles are descriptive and SEO friendly - perfect.

Product descriptions - consider adding a longer description to each item to help people visualize using it. Apply “storytelling” technique when writing descriptions. It means painting a picture visually helping people imagine themselves wearing your sweater or a dress, styling it with their chinos or platform boots.

It will help you boost your sales even further. People don’t buy items based on the facts, they buy on emotions. See how bestselling shops do it successfully: https://www.rockpapercopy.com/storytelling-in-product-descriptions/

Add to Cart color - consider using a different color for your button:Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 06.22.18.png

Grey is very mellow in terms of conversion rate - it's not a visual CTA color - doesn’t create urgency or prompt people to take action. Yellow, orange or red would be much better - these colors can excite people about shopping and prompt them to click and buy. Grey also doesn’t suit your fun and playful branding - it looks a bit ‘institutional’ ;)

About us page - I agree with NickQ about adding more content here with the trust signals. Also, make sure to SEO optimize each page [and blog post] on your website with:

• SEO friendly H tags
  • internal and external links
  • compress the images
  • add alt tags and link tags
  • add Geotags to images
  • optimize Google snippets
  • make your URLs SEO friendly and more.

It’s essential to optimize your website from the very start [or as early as possible] to help you rank quicker for your target keywords. If you’re not sure how to do it, please check this FREE video course: How to SEO your website and get to Google #1 in 3 Months.

Consider also optimizing your product page further by adding related products section. It will help you improve the customer journey [sales funnel] and the time spent on your website, which is a big Google ranking factor. It will also help you improve your sales - through cross-selling. You can add related products to your Shopify product template by following this simple video guide: how to add related products to your Shopify template [video].

Contact us page - you have a short paragraph here with a CTA and hyperlinked professional email address; perfect. Consider also using page.contact as a template for this page in your Shopify admin, so the contact form is displayed automatically. This way people can contact you directly from your website.

Refund policy - I’d recommend adding more specifics as to which items can be returned or not. As you are selling pre-owned items, the fine line between a ‘damaged’ item which you can refund for and ‘condition not as expected’ for which you don’t refund is very subjective.

If you send a vintage leather jacket that has got a worn out collar, some people might claim the item is damaged, and expect the refund, while you can say it’s simply ‘unsatisfactory condition’ and won’t honor the refund. You will avoid unhappy customers and negative feedback if you specify on your return policy what classifies as damaged item:

• Parcel damaged in the post
  • Damage not included in the product description and product images [make sure to photograph all products up-close, include photos of any faults to the item and state the info clearly in the description, so the buyer is 100% aware of the condition of the item before buying it.]

Covering your business and being transparent with your policies can help you build your trust - and branding.

Top navigation - move ‘Shop’ link before ‘About us’:Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 06.35.14.png

This way the focus of your visitors will be on shopping, and they will click and browse your products. The secondary [supporting] content can be displayed further in the menu, as it doesn’t add anything in terms of conversion rate. You can actually give your menu items this order: Home -> Shop -> On Sale -> FAQs -> About Us -> Contact

No need to include the Search link in the top menu, as you already have the search icon in the header.

Some of your meta titles are too long [the character limit is 65 characters]:Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 06.49.31.png

They might be cut off in Google search results. As you have the brand name twice, you can simply delete the first one and mention it only at the end [standard practice] and your meta titles will have the optimum length.

Footer - consider adding a different background here to build your fun vintage branding:Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 06.51.38.png

It looks a little boring at the moment and doesn’t really suit your stylish shop. Yellow background with a purple button [as an example below] will look much better:

Contact us About us FAQs.png

Social media - make sure to open the icons on your website in a new tab, so you don’t lose the valuable traffic. Please check this helpful guide: https://help.shopify.com/en/themes/customization/navigation/open-external-links-in-new-browser

Your Instagram feed looks absolutely fab - you have a very engaging posting structure of promotional and entertaining content, perfect. Your Facebook page has got Dolly and I love you for that:Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 07.03.47.png

Your SEO score is 51/100

Homepage Google snippet [meta title and meta description] are too long [as in the FAQ page mentioned earlier] - remember to optimize them to improve your listing in Google search results:Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 07.06.47.png

The title tag should be between 10 and 70 characters:Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 07.08.51.png

Your pages are not optimized for your best-performing keywords, and you don’t insert them in any of the key places [H tags. Titles, link tags etc]:Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 07.09.42.png

Remember to optimize your pages for your target keywords and insert them into the most important places on your pages to help Google rank your pages quicker.

You have a serious number of broken links on your website:Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 07.11.48.png

It’s important to fix them asap as that’s the major factor behind low conversion rate.

If you’d like a Shopify SEO expert to fix your broken links and fully SEO optimize your website to boost your Google rank and help you drive free organic traffic, invest in a complete SEO package today: https://www.rockpapercopy.com/seo/

If you liked this website critique, and would like to request a review of your own store, please click here now: https://www.rockpapercopy.com/critique/

Best regards,

Maggie

Shopify Partner | Ecommerce expert

Rock Paper Copy  

maggie@rockpapercopy.info 

Learn how to run insanely profitable online store from day #1 | Join the Masterclass: http://www.rockpapercopy.com/shopify-masterclass/

2 Likes
Shopify Expert
1151 57 343

Hi VelvetGoldmine! Maggie, Shopify Partner here :)

What a great brand name! I absolutely love it and it suits your business so well! I agree with Nicky regarding the Nasty Gal inspiration - it is a lucrative niche and now this girl is worth millions :)

Your logo is fantastic, and the featured promo image is really engaging, which is perfect at keeping visitors interested and wanting to browse further.

Product images: you will gain better conversion if you improved your product photos. I realize it’s not easy to take pro photos of the product if you only have one item, and once it’s sold, you have to photograph a bunch of new items :) However, your conversion will be much higher. With vintage items, they don’t always look their best on a hanger - they would look so much better worn by someone, and styled into a beautiful outfit. This way people can imagine already wearing it, styling it and it will prompt them to buy it.

My tip would be to organize weekly photoshoots at home - gather with friends, style outfits, and take photos in the garden, or in a well-lit room. You don’t even need a white background - many fashion photos are now taken on the street, in the cafe etc. - like this one:36c20acea28b4271a679745aaa65ce43.jpg

Having fun engaging photos can help you build your brand and boost your sales significantly.

Your product titles are descriptive and SEO friendly - perfect.

Product descriptions - consider adding a longer description to each item to help people visualize using it. Apply “storytelling” technique when writing descriptions. It means painting a picture visually helping people imagine themselves wearing your sweater or a dress, styling it with their chinos or platform boots.

It will help you boost your sales even further. People don’t buy items based on the facts, they buy on emotions. See how bestselling shops do it successfully: https://www.rockpapercopy.com/storytelling-in-product-descriptions/

Add to Cart color - consider using a different color for your button:Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 06.22.18.png

Grey is very mellow in terms of conversion rate - it's not a visual CTA color - doesn’t create urgency or prompt people to take action. Yellow, orange or red would be much better - these colors can excite people about shopping and prompt them to click and buy. Grey also doesn’t suit your fun and playful branding - it looks a bit ‘institutional’ ;)

About us page - I agree with NickQ about adding more content here with the trust signals. Also, make sure to SEO optimize each page [and blog post] on your website with:

• SEO friendly H tags
  • internal and external links
  • compress the images
  • add alt tags and link tags
  • add Geotags to images
  • optimize Google snippets
  • make your URLs SEO friendly and more.

It’s essential to optimize your website from the very start [or as early as possible] to help you rank quicker for your target keywords. If you’re not sure how to do it, please check this FREE video course: How to SEO your website and get to Google #1 in 3 Months.

Consider also optimizing your product page further by adding related products section. It will help you improve the customer journey [sales funnel] and the time spent on your website, which is a big Google ranking factor. It will also help you improve your sales - through cross-selling. You can add related products to your Shopify product template by following this simple video guide: how to add related products to your Shopify template [video].

Contact us page - you have a short paragraph here with a CTA and hyperlinked professional email address; perfect. Consider also using page.contact as a template for this page in your Shopify admin, so the contact form is displayed automatically. This way people can contact you directly from your website.

Learn how to run insanely profitable online store from day #1 | Join the Masterclass: http://www.rockpapercopy.com/shopify-masterclass/

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
1151 57 343

Refund policy - I’d recommend adding more specifics as to which items can be returned or not. As you are selling pre-owned items, the fine line between a ‘damaged’ item which you can refund for and ‘condition not as expected’ for which you don’t refund is very subjective.

If you send a vintage leather jacket that has got a worn out collar, some people might claim the item is damaged, and expect the refund, while you can say it’s simply ‘unsatisfactory condition’ and won’t honor the refund. You will avoid unhappy customers and negative feedback if you specify on your return policy what classifies as damaged item:

• Parcel damaged in the post
  • Damage not included in the product description and product images [make sure to photograph all products up-close, include photos of any faults to the item and state the info clearly in the description, so the buyer is 100% aware of the condition of the item before buying it.]

Covering your business and being transparent with your policies can help you build your trust - and branding.

Top navigation - move ‘Shop’ link before ‘About us’:Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 06.35.14.png

This way the focus of your visitors will be on shopping, and they will click and browse your products. The secondary [supporting] content can be displayed further in the menu, as it doesn’t add anything in terms of conversion rate. You can actually give your menu items this order: Home -> Shop -> On Sale -> FAQs -> About Us -> Contact

No need to include the Search link in the top menu, as you already have the search icon in the header.

Some of your meta titles are too long [the character limit is 65 characters]:Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 06.49.31.png

They might be cut off in Google search results. As you have the brand name twice, you can simply delete the first one and mention it only at the end [standard practice] and your meta titles will have the optimum length.

Footer - consider adding a different background here to build your fun vintage branding:Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 06.51.38.png

It looks a little boring at the moment and doesn’t really suit your stylish shop. Yellow background with a purple button [as an example below] will look much better:

Contact us About us FAQs.png

Social media - make sure to open the icons on your website in a new tab, so you don’t lose the valuable traffic. Please check this helpful guide: https://help.shopify.com/en/themes/customization/navigation/open-external-links-in-new-browser

Your Instagram feed looks absolutely fab - you have a very engaging posting structure of promotional and entertaining content, perfect. Your Facebook page has got Dolly and I love you for that:Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 07.03.47.png

Your SEO score is 51/100

Homepage Google snippet [meta title and meta description] are too long [as in the FAQ page mentioned earlier] - remember to optimize them to improve your listing in Google search results:Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 07.06.47.png

The title tag should be between 10 and 70 characters:Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 07.08.51.png

Your pages are not optimized for your best-performing keywords, and you don’t insert them in any of the key places [H tags. Titles, link tags etc]:Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 07.09.42.png

Remember to optimize your pages for your target keywords and insert them into the most important places on your pages to help Google rank your pages quicker.

You have a serious number of broken links on your website:Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 07.11.48.png

It’s important to fix them asap as that’s the major factor behind low conversion rate.

If you’d like a Shopify SEO expert to fix your broken links and fully SEO optimize your website to boost your Google rank and help you drive free organic traffic, invest in a complete SEO package today: https://www.rockpapercopy.com/seo/

If you liked this website critique, and would like to request a review of your own store, please click here now: https://www.rockpapercopy.com/critique/

Best regards,

Maggie

Shopify Partner | Ecommerce expert

Rock Paper Copy  

maggie@rockpapercopy.info 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
1151 57 343

Hi Velvet Goldmine! 

Love the name - I have reviewed your website this morning - actually created quite a detailed review - yet the Shopify forum for some reason didn't allow me to post it. I'm sorting it at the moment. However I have published the review on my blog, so please check it here: https://www.rockpapercopy.com/velvet-goldmine-website-reviewed/ 

1 Like
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi guys,

Apologies for the delay – just wanted to respond and say thank you SO much for taking the time to write such detailed responses! I appreciate it so much, was definitely the kind of in-depth feedback I was hoping for!

This week I will work at addressing all of the issues raised and utilising these great ideas. Love ya work! Your suggestions are awesome.

RE product photography: I definitely agree that I am in need of a better system, the trouble is the cost of having models pose for me on a regular basis would be quite high. Of course the alternative is having a friend do it but unfortunately none of my friends (who are in the suitable age bracket) live near me! Any suggestions? The one photoshoot that I did have (with professional photographer as I don’t have a suitable camera, and two models) cost about $410. With the amount of stock I have / the amount of updating I’d like to do, it wouldn’t be possible money-wise for me to do that on a regular basis. 

I have researched various camera models and was going to purchase an affordable camera that is suited to pretty basic/beginner product photography (Nikon D3400) but it doesn’t solve my model problem unfortunately…most models I’ve inquired with on Instagram have had hourly rates ranging from $60-$300.

P.s. I have watched Girl Boss and that’s exactly what put the wheels in motion for me to kickstart this!!! So good!

0 Likes