Would appreciate any feedback

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 2

Hello, I would appreciate some feedback for our store. We consistently get a lot of traffic, but very few conversions.
Unfortunately, pasta products are heavy to ship, so we haven't found a less costly shipping solution, and our profit margins aren't high enough to "subsidize".
Is there anything else we can do to get more conversions?

fiberpasta.us

Many thanks,
Joe Notovitz

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
221 39 141

Hi, @JosephN!  

First of all, welcome to Shopify! It sounds like you’re experiencing a common problem - there’s traffic but few sales. Let’s see what we can do!

Before we begin, I always like to look at it like a first time visitor and spot any glaring issues. Your newsletter pop-up is a big red flag. 

• It’s showing the moment someone lands on your store. Instead, have it trigger once someone is already engaged with your products. 
  • You use a mild form of confirm-shaming in the “...or close this pop-up if you don’t have $5 off!” That cheapens your clicks and annoys visitors. It’s a dark pattern that should be avoided at all costs. 

FiberPasta-1.png

Moving on to your website…

Homepage

• Hero image: I’m not a huge fan of your messaging, especially the “please don’t ignore this pasta.” It’s not telling me WHY. Work on selling this pasta more! My overall question as a new visitor is what it is? If I’m new to your product, I don’t know what the Slow Carb Revolution is! I may know LOW carb, but SLOW carb may be a new concept. When I looked at it in Google trends, Slow Carb Pasta was minor compared to Low Carb Pasta. Slow Carb vs. Low Carb  and Slow Carb Diet vs. Low Carb Diet had similar results, in case you are wondering how that changed the results.
    FiberPasta-2.png

• Use a heatmap (which shows you where people click and how they scroll) to see how people use your homepage. While your “Important Update About Shipping” is important, it may not need to be as high on the page taking up prime real estate. The “gift certificates are here” copy can be moved down or to a different page.
  • Shop our collections: I love this. However, look at your collections themselves. Fusilli Pasta, Penne Pasta, Spaghetti and Ziti Pasta are all types of pasta, but there’s an inconsistency for the other collections. What is the difference between FiberPasta and Pasta? PastaPro? 
  • I wouldn’t use “Featured Products.” Instead, I would use “Trending Products” or “Special Sale” or the like instead. I also wouldn’t feature the same product in four quantities. Remember that for your first time visitors, they wouldn’t know if they want a 12-pack yet. 
  • I like your testimonials, but I would resize the images so that they aren’t as vertical, and I would check to make sure it’s an effective testimonial. The one for Mark H. Bowles has no impact on your product and is just about his experience.

In general, use heatmaps to see how far people are scrolling down your page. Are they making it to the footer? For a homepage like yours, I imagine they are making it pretty far down the page, which is great. Without knowing for sure (click heatmaps would help here), I can estimate that a large number of your visitors use those homepage collections to navigate.

Main Navigation 

I’m confused by your main navigation here. For example, why are you only featuring Pasta Pro? You’ve introduced a new product to visitors they don’t understand, so they may not be sure why they should click on it. 

In general, I noticed a few things: 

• Look at your click heatmaps to see where people are clicking. Ambassador can live in the footer rather than your main navigation, as can your About Us. Your Contact Us page may be able to live in the footer as well, but see what the visitor engagements tell you.
  • A guide is a must here. You could run a poll asking what they are most interested in. Their selection would then link to the products that correspect to their interest. Help them find the products! 
  • Test different ways to frame the main navigation. Maybe it shouldn’t be by PastaPro or FiberPasta - maybe it should be by type of pasta. 
  • You’re missing recipes!! As experts on low carb pasta, get those recipes going! 

Watch session recordings (which act like a DVR for your website) to see how people actually navigate across your store. Do they use your main navigation, or do they use your homepage? How are they reaching products?

Collection Pages
My biggest suggestion is to clean up the filter. If I’m in the Penne Pasta collection, I don’t need to filter by Ziti pasta. I also see a lot of sold out products. Make sure there’s a way to get on a waiting list to be notified when it’s back in stock. Also, use your live chat to your advantage here. If someone visits a product that’s sold out, trigger an auto invite that invites them to chat. You could then help them find other great products that are similar. 

Product Pages

For the record, your products are making me very hungry right now! I’m on the Penne Pasta 12-Pack.

• Add a “Buy It Now” option
  • Use a drop-down for the quantity 
  • Help them calculate shipping costs. I know you said it was expensive, and I get that. But you’re going to have to help them expect the costs and make their buying decision. Since you are having issues with conversions, consider evaluating offering free/reduced shipping based on a number of products or a price. If shipping is causing abandonment, maybe it’s time to look at how to offset their concerns in a way that doesn’t limit your growth potential. In other words, can you offer limited free shipping to get people through the checkout process? You’ll have to crunch those numbers to make that business decision. 
  • Make sure there are no sold out products in your “You Might Also Like” feature. 
  • Add in reviews! People love to see what customers think about products.
  • And add in those recipes! Again, people love recipes. You’re selling them amazing products AND telling them how to cook it. It’s a win/win! 

I really do like your store, and I actually want to go buy some of your product ASAP! Visitor behavior is going to help you find where people get stuck or confused and help you engage with them. Lucky Orange has heatmaps, session recordings, poll, live chat and more with a free trial (no credit card needed) and plans that start at US $10/month.

I hope this helps, Joe! Good luck!

Cheers - Danny

Proud to be a Shopify Plus Partner

- Was my response helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
Highlighted

@JosephN did you try to analyze what shipping method using your competitors?

your https://fiberpasta.us/pages/history - is amazing!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best regards,

Alex from e-Scraper, 

Extract and get data from any website into your Shopify store https://e-scraper.com/shopify/#freescraper

regards,
Alex with eScraper
Extract any data from any website into your Shopify store.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 2
Hello LuckyDanny,

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to write all of this. I will
review and make as many changes as I can over the next few days. You have
given me some very great advice.

All the best, Joseph Notovitz
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 2
Thank you Alex,

I appreciate your time, and for visiting our site.

I have checked our competitors in the past (not recently though), and could
see that their profit margin allowed them to subsidize the shipping cost.
We have not been able to do this because of the higher cost of shipping the
pasta from Italy.

I also wish there was a way to create a discount code that provides a
percentage off the shipping, but can't find this anywhere. Only 100% off
(free) shipping.

All the best, Joseph Notovitz
0 Likes
Highlighted

This is an accepted solution.

Hi Joe

Selling food online is hard in general. Here are some ways to make your store even better and make people want to purchase.

Homepage Feedback

1. Make sure the main product images for each product has the same theme / style as some have white vs non-white background right now. This is going to help tie your site together when people are looking at your collection pages

2. Consider adding a Featured Product section on the homepage (i.e. Pasta Of The Month). Pick one products and tell people why you picked it and what makes it great

Product Page  Feedback

1. Add links to your shipping and return/refund policy on each product page

2. Add a section for customer reviews when you get them. This helps build social proof and makes it easier for people to trust your brand. Ask past customers for reviews is a great way to get this started

3. Add a longer product description as this is how you convince someone to buy on your site. Plus it helps with SEO and ranking in organic search

4. Make sure all your product images are the same size and dimensions and the same style/brand. This is going to help tie your site together

Your store just needs some tweaks to take it up a level.  Hope you found this helpful, if so please click "like" below to let me know. You can also accept this post as a "Accepted Solutions" if you found it extra helpful! Good luck.

We help ecommerce & DTC brands create, manage and scale profitable PPC campaigns: TakeSomeRisk.com

P.S. Take my Google Shopping Course and help grow your revenue this month.
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 2

Thank you Duane, for these great suggestions -- I really appreciate them!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 2

Thank you so much for y9ur suggestions. I appreciate them very much.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
430 16 93

Hi @JosephN  welcome to Shopify family

I hope your business is going well during this CoVid crisis. I checked your website and it looks neat!

I would like to point out a couple of feedbacks:

1. The banner image placement on the homepage is odd the text and the image are not going well with each other. I suggest a change in the banner image would be helpful.
2. In the header menu S and A has to be upper case in Shop All, same goes with About Us, and Reviews the first letter has to be in upper case. Also, a change of font will be helpful because the text is not readable.
3. On scrolling down the product image and the text are not on the same scale or rather text alignment is required.
4. Engaging the audience by writing blogs with good titles and posting them on different social media platforms will help in brand promotion.
5. The addition of most viewed or most liked section on your homepage will significantly increase the percentage of gallery review. Ask your customers to rate your products as this will help build trust and loyalty for the brand.
6. Product badges are a great way to highlight specific products in your store so they stand out. Getting your customers to take notice of the best product offerings and promotions means your sales campaigns should be even more successful. You can even combine product badges with proven marketing techniques such as scarcity and social proof and your products should sell even faster.

I hope this helps!

Munawar.

ModeMagic
Featured on Shopify Staff Picks
Want a free store consultation to boost your sales? Send me a message.
Grab your limited time offer on install today!
0 Likes