Would love some feedback on my jewellery store!

Highlighted
Excursionist
29 0 4

Hi there, 

I would love some feedback on my jewellery store www.nichollsjewellery.com

At the moment we stock earrings and many different varieties! I think my main aim is for people that were just browsing, to find something that they want to buy so therefore want occasions/colours/themes/search etc to be easy to navigate. 

Any criticisms/suggestions/feeback etc I would be extremely grateful for! 

Thank you so much! 

Lisa

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
508 45 132

Hi @lisatrendy,

Thank you for sharing your store with us here! At a quick glance I think you've done a great job with the site so far, and I can see a lot of thought and effort has gone into its design and layout. I do have a few small pieces of feedback for you though that I hope that you will find helpful.

My first thought when scrolling down the homepage was that having the images stacked on top of each other makes the page look a bit "busy":

20-08-4bfp4-b0eh7

I think each image you've used is great, but having them stacked on top of each other isn't the best layout in my opinion. My recommendation would be to place some text in between each one—perhaps some customer testimonials, or an "about us"-style paragraph—to break up the images and make them easier to view with a bit of space between them. This is a small thing but I believe it'll improve the look and flow of your homepage.

One thing I love about the site is the FAQs page you've created, as I feel like it's a vital component when it comes to convincing customers to buy from you. If you can answer customers' questions ahead of time, they're much more likely to buy! As such, I'd recommend actually adding the FAQs page to the main menu along with the footer menu, as I feel this is an important page that you want customers to find easily. I also like that you've added a contact page, which is important, and think it could be improved by adding a couple of sentences in encouraging customers to reach out if they have a question about the store and/ or their order. I'd also recommend adding your customer-facing email address so customers can contact you directly via their email client as opposed to having to send an email via the contact page itself.

My final recommendation would be to consider how to improve the main banner image on the site, as I think you could really level up the storefront by adding a different type of image here—perhaps someone wearing the jewellery or something along those lines! We've a great blog post that offers guidance on choosing an image such as this for your homepage, which I'd recommend checking out

I hope my feedback is of some use to you, and again, I think you've done some great work here so the suggestions I've made are minor improvements!

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
180 26 109

Hey there, @lisatrendy

I have to say that you have a great start to a Shopify store! All of the building blocks are in place for a great store. I can tell you’ve put a lot of work into this store!

Now, let’s dive into the feedback.

Before we begin, I need to point out that while you may think that your visitors are going to browse your store, that may not be how visitors really do use it. They may be coming for a specific product in mind. Use visitor behavior through heatmaps (to see where people click and scroll) and session recordings (to watch what happened during a visit) to evaluate what visitors are really doing.

Homepage

• Banner: First of all, link it to your products. Secondly, update the copy. Test Free UK Postage and Free UK Shipping. See which one resonates better with your audience.
  • Hero image: Rotating hero images don’t really improve CTR - they can actually hurt conversions. Use a click heatmap to see where people are clicking and evaluate your images that you use. Find your top-clicked hero image and add in an inviting message.
  • Collection list: I love that you have collection lists, and I imagine that your visitors use them often. Click heatmaps can tell you. I would suggest updating the font color. Right now, the white on white, even with the earring in the image, makes it very hard to read. 
  • The font color is an issue throughout the homepage. 
  • For the homepage, use a scroll heatmap to see where people are scrolling. You may find that they scroll fairly deep down your pair

Footer

• Contact us: Add in your email address and phone number to offer more options for contact. Take out the phone number field; it typically has a high abandonment rate. 
  • How to care for your jewellery: Love this page! Link your email address. 
  • Privacy Policy: Link your URLs and email address. 
  • Refund Policy: Link your email address and link to your Care Policy. 
  • Terms of Service: Link your email address. 
  • Newsletter: Add more incentive here! What do they get if they sign up? We can’t assume that visitors want to “stay in the loop” if they haven’t even engaged with a store yet! Instead, add something like a discount or push a community to explain why they should sign up. 
  • Social Media: Make sure they open in a new tab
  • There is a potential issue I ran into with your live chat. Due to the placement on the page, it was covering the acceptance button on your cookie policy. 

LuckyDanny_0-1596573314625.png

Navigation

• Use click heatmaps to understand how visitors use your navigation. Where do they click? Where do they not click? Watch session recordings to see how people are reaching your products. 
  • I would test changing the order to Home | Earrings | Shop by Colour | Shop by Style | Sale. See if more visitors utilize it or not. 
  • Contact may be able to live in the footer; see what your heatmaps tell you. 

Collection Pages
For reference, I’m in the Best Sellers collection 

• Filter: Clean it up. There are 37 filters! Though I push for filters, it needs to make sense. Having a filter for “earrings” when all you sell right now are earrings is not very helpful. The same thing goes for “bride” and “wedding.” Clean it up. Click heatmaps can help you see what people are using.
  • Rating: As you get more traffic and sales, add in a rating score for the products. It’ll help visitors see exactly which ones are the most popular and highest rated.

Product Pages

For reference, I’m on the Celine Champagne Earrings.

• Don’t leave shipping to checkout. Link to your shipping page and include the same information you have on your footer with the flat-rate shipping costs. 
  • Link your email address
  • Make sure your discount shipping banner shows on product pages as well. I see it mentioned in the description, but that assumes people will scroll to it. 
  • Keep encouraging those reviews. If you don’t already, provide a review invitation in your post-purchase communication with customers. 

Visitor behavior is really a good way to gauge what’s working and what’s not. It’s the ultimate feedback form the people who are experiencing your store. When you get that insight, you see immediately how visitors use your store and what’s stopped them from converting. Lucky Orange has heatmaps, session recordings, live chat and more with a free trial (no credit card needed) and plans that start at US $10/month.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Cheers - Danny

- Was my response helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
29 0 4

Hi Victor, 

Thank you so incredibly much for taking the time to look through my site and give this amazing feedback. 

I agree, the collection part is quite busy isnt it! I originally wanted to have spacing between them but didnt know how to do this, so putting in a testimonial or a quote of some type would be a great idea to create a gap between! Thank you! 

FAQs on the main menu will be put up and great suggestion regarding having our email address on the contact page as well! 

Thank you so much for this feedback. It is hard to see the wood for the trees when its your own website!  

Lisa  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
29 0 4

Hi Victor, 

I have added some text and email address to the contact page - https://nichollsjewellery.com/pages/contact-us-1 do you think this is better? 

Instead of having the collections as full width, I have changed the to a fixed width so there is now space between the collections. Do you think this helps improve the layout? 

In regards to adding the FAQs to the main menu, if i do this, the menu options then do not fit on the one line and the FAQs go under the other options, which looks quite strange. Is there a way to make the main menu font smaller or to increase the number of menus i can have on the one line? 

Thank you so much! 

Lisa

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
495 33 148

Hi @lisatrendy !

Welcome to Shopify and I wish you good luck!

1. Add a clear CTSA to your hero banner. Overall your homepage is lack of CTAs.  Clear CTAs - help to show what to do next. Hero banner on your homepage is a key to make a connection with every visitor. You should clearly communicate what your website is about.

Engaging images - you need them on your homepage to give visitors a sense of what your business is about. Images help you to tell a story and show visitors what they can gain from your product. For a product website think about how images can convey the value of your product and help your visitors to achieve their goals. 

2. Implement an opportunity to log in and sign up using Social Media account. We all have accounts at least in one social media. And if I have an opportunity to create an account just with one click, I will do it. having an easier way to Sign in will help you gather customer base. The most valuable thing for a company is the customer.

3. Social media has become a huge thing nowadays. I highly recommend taking advantage of that and adding Instagram galleries on your homepage. It will help drive traffic from your site on to your account and vice versa. 

4. Imagine if you saw something that you quite like in the store, however you want to browse more, get more options, and then choose the best one. That often happens to me, because I am indecisive. That is when Wishlist comes in handy. Since you have a lot of products on your site, I recommend adding that feature to improve the user experience on your site. Besides, if the items on the wishlist have not been purchased, automated emails will be sent out as a reminder. 

5. 90% of people read reviews before purchasing an item. I personally do not read the description too much, I go straight on to the reviews section because that is social proof. In my opinion that is essential for every site. I highly recommend (almost insist) and adding that feature on your site. You can use Growave for that, it offers automated emails within the Reviews feature as well. 

6. The items on your store are something that will most likely be purchased by one person several times. For better customer retention I recommend using Rewards program by Growave, that will give out various discounts depending on how much a person has spent on your store or how many actions he/she has completed (left a review, shared the site, created an account, etc.)

For adding the functions above you can several apps. However, if you want to get all of them at once just with a couple of clicks, try  Growave.

We have 6 great features -Reviews, Wishlist, Rewards, Social Login, Instagram, Discounts, etc. 

There is a free plan available.

Hopefully, I managed to help you. If so, please let me know by liking this post. 

Growave is the all-in-one marketing platform that has
- Visual Reviews with automated emails
- Loyalty&Rewards
- Wishlist
- Instagram
- Social Sharing + more

Increase conversions with ease here
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
508 45 132

Hi @lisatrendy,

My pleasure, I'm glad I could help! I've taken a look at the site again and think it looks better, for sure. Everything flows better and the great imagery you've chosen definitely stands out more now that there's some space between them. I hadn't thought of it before but yes, I think the images actually look better with the fixed width than they did going right across the page.

What you've added to the contact page is perfect—it offers a more personal touch and by providing your email address you come across as more transparent and reachable. With regards to your main menu, I hadn't considered that adding the FAQs page here would make it move down to two lines, and as mentioned you'd probably want to avoid this. The theme will automatically do this when there's not enough room, and whilst this could potentially be edited in the theme's code I'd generally advise against it. I don't think adding the FAQs page to the top here is essential, and an alternative option could be to include a link to it a homepage section as opposed to an extra link in the main menu.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
29 0 4

Hi Danny, 

Thank you so much for your feedback and suggestions - i REALLY do appreciate it! I hope you dont mind me going through your points! - 

Homepage

• Banner: First of all, link it to your products. Done! Secondly, update the copy. Test Free UK Postage and Free UK Shipping. See which one resonates better with your audience. I will try free postage to see if this increases sales, thank you!
  • Hero image: Rotating hero images don’t really improve CTR - they can actually hurt conversions. Use a click heatmap to see where people are clicking and evaluate your images that you use. Find your top-clicked hero image and add in an inviting message. - Have changed this to the one image now and this product is my best selling! 
  • Collection list: I love that you have collection lists, and I imagine that your visitors use them often. Click heatmaps can tell you. I would suggest updating the font color. Right now, the white on white, even with the earring in the image, makes it very hard to read. - Have changed this to show the text under the collection image as when I placed black writing on top it looked too "shadowy" 
  • The font color is an issue throughout the homepage. - Changed to black apart from overlay due to shadow problems with black writing.
  • For the homepage, use a scroll heatmap to see where people are scrolling. You may find that they scroll fairly deep down your pair - sounds good

Footer

• Contact us: Add in your email address and phone number to offer more options for contact. Take out the phone number field; it typically has a high abandonment rate. - Have added email address but not sure how to remove the number from the field template
  • How to care for your jewellery: Love this page! Link your email address. I have tried to link but it asks for a website to link to, do I just need to type in the email address? 
  • Privacy Policy: Link your URLs and email address. - as above
  • Refund Policy: Link your email address and link to your Care Policy. - as above
  • Terms of Service: Link your email address. - as above
  • Newsletter: Add more incentive here! What do they get if they sign up? We can’t assume that visitors want to “stay in the loop” if they haven’t even engaged with a store yet! Instead, add something like a discount or push a community to explain why they should sign up. - Done!
  • Social Media: Make sure they open in a new tab - Just realised they dont open in a new tab! How can I do this? 
  • There is a potential issue I ran into with your live chat. Due to the placement on the page, it was covering the acceptance button on your cookie policy. - Oh yes, thank you, I will move this.

Navigation

• Use click heatmaps to understand how visitors use your navigation. Where do they click? Where do they not click? Watch session recordings to see how people are reaching your products. - good tip
  • I would test changing the order to Home | Earrings | Shop by Colour | Shop by Style | Sale. See if more visitors utilize it or not. - sounds good
  • Contact may be able to live in the footer; see what your heatmaps tell you. - Very good tip, especially when I expand to other types of jewellery and need the space on the main menu

Collection Pages
For reference, I’m in the Best Sellers collection 

• Filter: Clean it up. There are 37 filters! Though I push for filters, it needs to make sense. Having a filter for “earrings” when all you sell right now are earrings is not very helpful. The same thing goes for “bride” and “wedding.” Clean it up. Click heatmaps can help you see what people are using. - Good tip, what would you suggest? 
  • Rating: As you get more traffic and sales, add in a rating score for the products. It’ll help visitors see exactly which ones are the most popular and highest rated. - Is this the same as a review star rating? 

Product Pages

For reference, I’m on the Celine Champagne Earrings.

• Don’t leave shipping to checkout. Link to your shipping page and include the same information you have on your footer with the flat-rate shipping costs. - very good point I will change this for all products - is there a way I can add this detail to all product pages automatically rather than one at a time? 
  • Link your email address - good point, same as above
  • Make sure your discount shipping banner shows on product pages as well. I see it mentioned in the description, but that assumes people will scroll to it. - Done!
  • Keep encouraging those reviews. If you don’t already, provide a review invitation in your post-purchase communication with customers. - Done! 

How long is the free trial with Heatmap? Thank you! 

Lisa

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
300 11 62

Hi @lisatrendy  welcome to Shopify family

I hope your business is going well during these difficult times. I checked your store website, and I have a few tips and feedback I'd like to share,

1. The header space is too large, you can increase the size on the homepage. Free Shipping can be added as this is the biggest excitement to customers. 
2. Ask your customers to add feedback to the products as 90% of the products will be reviewed.
3. A section of most viewed products on the homepage by adding this all the products on the gallery will be reviewed.
4. Ensure that every product has large images in the product view that zoom to fill the browser window.
5. The addition of video to a landing page increases conversations by 80%. evaluate your competitor’s websites after browsing through a few of their websites, compare your findings to your own site.
6. Branded video content is likely to take over consumers who are 300% most likely to watch a video about a product rather than read a description.
7. Product badges are a great way to highlight specific products in your store so they stand out. Getting your customers to take notice of the best product offerings and promotions means your sales campaigns should be even more successful. You can even combine product badges with proven marketing techniques such as scarcity and social proof and your products should sell even faster.

I hope this helps

Munawar.

ModeMagic
Featured on Shopify Staff Picks
Want a free store consultation to boost your sales? Send me a message.
Grab your limited time offer on install today!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
29 0 4

Hi Adelia, 

Thank you for your reply, really do appreciate your time! I hope you don't mind if I reply to your reply with further questions! 

1. Add a clear CTSA to your hero banner. - I am so sorry, what is a CTSA and what is a hero banner? Is it the first picture that shows on the site? Is a CTSA an action button? Overall your homepage is lack of CTAs.  Clear CTAs - help to show what to do next. Hero banner on your homepage is a key to make a connection with every visitor. You should clearly communicate what your website is about.

Engaging images - you need them on your homepage to give visitors a sense of what your business is about. - Would you suggest people wearing the jewellery or more pictures of the jewellery? Images help you to tell a story and show visitors what they can gain from your product. For a product website think about how images can convey the value of your product and help your visitors to achieve their goals. 

2. Implement an opportunity to log in and sign up using Social Media account. We all have accounts at least in one social media. And if I have an opportunity to create an account just with one click, I will do it. having an easier way to Sign in will help you gather customer base. The most valuable thing for a company is the customer. - What would you suggest to use to do this? Thank you

3. Social media has become a huge thing nowadays. I highly recommend taking advantage of that and adding Instagram galleries on your homepage. It will help drive traffic from your site on to your account and vice versa. - Yes I have this at the bottom of the homepage!  

4. Imagine if you saw something that you quite like in the store, however you want to browse more, get more options, and then choose the best one. That often happens to me, because I am indecisive. That is when Wishlist comes in handy. Since you have a lot of products on your site, I recommend adding that feature to improve the user experience on your site. Besides, if the items on the wishlist have not been purchased, automated emails will be sent out as a reminder. - I have added a wishlist, thank you so much for this recommendation! 

5. 90% of people read reviews before purchasing an item. I personally do not read the description too much, I go straight on to the reviews section because that is social proof. In my opinion that is essential for every site. I highly recommend (almost insist) and adding that feature on your site. You can use Growave for that, it offers automated emails within the Reviews feature as well. - I have a review section for every item on the product pages. Do you think I should reduce the 'blurb' on the product pages so that people can see the reviews without scrolling down?

Thank you so much! 

Lisa

Nicholls Jewellery

0 Likes