Would love some hard critique on our site

Tourist
17 0 1

Hello and thank you for looking,   www.thebuffalowoolco.com
I am hoping someone has a few minutes to look over our site, and see what we can do to improve it.  The truth is it seemed to start out really clean, but as time has progressed, we have just sort of worked on it in fits and starts, and I am afraid it has gotten clunky and disjointed, I hope we don't need to really trash it and revamp.  We get a fair bit of traffic but conversion rates are just ok, lucky to hit 5% most days. 

Any input to improve this would be appreciated.

Ron

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
59 0 7

Not bad. I would give it a b-. Seems a bit 2007 with the layout.

Not knowing your brand, I did not know what I was looking at on the home page. Something to do with bisons. Not sure if you were selling yarn or completed clothing at first.

That main image at the top I think need to be a pic of your product, not a field with bison. If I saw a sweater or ball of yarn, I would get it right away.

Person opinon, carosulels are no good. Tons of research has been done on this, but most agree they confuse the customer.

Put this stuff
Free US Shipping everyday     Events & Shows     Rewards   BWC Cares    Our Guarantee

At the top of the site in a banner. Slide up that main image/carosuel to be under main navigation. 

Aside that great product photos and descriptions. I feel safe buying from you.
Good ABout us. Maybe a pic of the owner or shop would help make a personal connection.

0 Likes
Tourist
17 0 1

Thank you very much for your time, and I probably have to agree with just about all of it.

The 2007 part is actually an improvement over our 1997 look we had before (and as an old geezer, I am not unhappy with that description of it) , but you are right, and I will be cleaning and updating it shortly. 

truly appreciated

Ron

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
187 0 22

Hey Ron!

Diana here from the Shopify Support Team.

I definitely don't think you need to trash it and revamp the whole thing--there's lots here that's really nice to see! For instance, your Instagram feed is pleasant and bright, and I like that you've got clear, crisp pictures not only in your slideshow, but as a feature of your 'About Us' section on the homepage as well. It's always nice to see smiling faces, and it definitely humanizes your brand.

I do have a few notes that you might find helpful:

• Your logo is lovely, but I find it too small! Logos are very helpful at helping people to identify your brand, and having the yours smushed to the upper-left side and sized only slightly bigger than my thumb makes it harder to generate a solid 'image' for your site. It's displayed prominently on the side of your truck--display it just as prominently on your site!
  • The upper-right side of your header looks busy. You've got a lot going on up there--your social media icons, and Account sign-up, a currency switcher, the search bar... and that's just the first row! Consider moving your main menu (Home, Yarns & Patterns, Bison Apparel, etc.) lower and more centered; just above the 'Free US Shipping' row, for instance. Having a clear distinction between the main menu and the rest of the site might help give your header some breathing room.
  • BWCCares is a great idea to feature on your site! However, that is the one page that I would recommend dedicating some editing time to; the images interspersed among the text the way they are now makes it difficult to read. Cleaning that up a bit would no doubt bring more attention to the charitable projects you support!
  • Have you considered choosing a background colour for your site? It's a personal design choice of course, but maybe switching away from plain white might add some visual interest to the overall aesthetic of your online shop.

Overall, you've got a lot of potential here. I hope that my suggestions have been helpful, and best of luck with your shop!

- Diana

Diana | Shopify Guru ~ Contact Shopify 24/7 at support.shopify.com!
1 Like
Tourist
17 0 1

Thank you so much!  all good ideas, and I will start implementing them immediately.

Very much appreciated

Ron

0 Likes