brand new to Shopify

Solved
Tourist
10 0 4

Hi, would love some feedback -- shop is live, but primitive. Cannot figure out how to make the homepage photos a little smaller, plus cannot figure out how to implement text in the "image slide." I just started the Google shopping, but that will take a few days. Very exciting to see how much there is to read on this forum! Any help would be appreciated!!!

1 Like
Tourist
4 0 2
I is it ok to get some help has well?
I've just started up and on the free trial I have created my logo and download it already, now am stuck I just need to know how to move forward from here.thanks in advance
1 Like
Excursionist
17 1 1
Hello i will love to help e.mail me on kennymaxwell1234@gmail.com
0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
362 70 124

Hey, @artlover and @Trendy1!

Jason here from Shopify support. Welcome to Shopify! 

I've moved your thread from Shopify Discussion over to Feedback On My Store, since you’re looking for people to offer some feedback in store design and digital marketing. This should help you get some replies! Also, don't forget to add your store URL so the fellow merchants, partners, exports, and Shopify support can take a look at what your store looks like and offer feedback more easily, without having to post their contact information. 

All the best,

Jason

Jason | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 4
Thanks Jason
0 Likes
Tourist
10 0 4
Tourist
4 0 2
Thank you very much Jason.
1 Like

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
362 70 124

Hey, @artlover!

Thanks for the URL. 

What a collection of great artworks! You're off to a good start with the online store. Here are some suggestions that can help you troubleshoot the image issue, along with other design tips. The goal is to improve the store's user experience and help you build trust with the visitor to boost up the conversion rate before you start spending money on paid ad campaigns.

1. From the design of the store, it looks like you're using Debut. If so, come check out the slideshow guideline for this section. Here are the recommended image dimensions for various sizes available.
    19_16-whvqo-dh4ir
    This will prevent you from having low readability slides such as this one.
    19_18-wgu28-o1ccb
    The theme offers text alignment and overlay effect. These two features can help you play around with the text position on the image or tone the image down so the text pops out more.
    19_15-wrpf1-55aau
    Keep in mind that the homepage is where you visitor going to land. This is the space for you to be creative with the content and make sure you engage with them. If the slideshow section is giving you a headache, play around with different sections available on the theme, such as Image with text. What you can do is to have the sections one to another with alternative positioning to create visual interest and mimic an art gallery vibe. Here's a personalized video I've made for you on how to achieve this.
  2. Since you're an online store, it's important to have related policy pages at the footer section. This offers clarifications to the interested customers and protects you from customers who don't have the best intentions. In your admin settings, you can use the template generators to create the pages, which will automatically create the content for you. Remember this is a generic template, I recommend you read through the content and edit them accordingly to what applies to your business. When saved, customers can see a link to this on checkout footer and order review page. If you'd like, you can also add them into separate pages on the footer menu for easier access. Here's how to create menus and links.
  3. The main menu you have currently is the basic that comes with the theme itself. You can edit the name of the tab to make it more relevant to your artwork - for instance, instead of calling it Catalog, perhaps it's better to name it Collection.
    19_15-hz5rt-nmt8x
    As you start uploading more artwork, you can then use this tab and create a drop-down menu for easier navigation. The clearer and easier you make it for the visitors to navigate, the higher the chance they will go to the product page and make a purchase. Here's how you can edit the name of the tab.
  4. Since you're planning to launch a paid marketing campaign, it's worthwhile to invest a small fee on a professional domain. This will help you build trust with your visitors and increase your brand awareness. You can purchase a domain from either Shopify or a third-party domain provider. The perk of buying the domain from Shopify is that the domain's DNS settings will automatically point to Shopify without having you set the A record and CNAME record. You can also edit the DNS settings right from your admin. If you decide to purchase a domain from a third-party provider and run into an issue with the DNS settings, you'll have to contact the domain provider's support directly as we have no access to the account details.
  5. Watch out on the use of capitalize words and none capitalize words. If it's part of the heading, it's best to capitalize the first word.
    19_31-uaua4-5fxcv
    19_35-rwpk1-xxqm3
    This keeps your headings consistent and professional, which enhance the readability. Also, rather than hiding the About the Artist section in the footer, I encourage you to create a section on the homepage with an image of your signature artwork or your photo. It helps you engage with the visitors and properly introduce yourself. Some merchants go as far as creating a page dedicated to it. Here's The Untapped Potential of About Us Pages (And How to Write Your Own).
  6. Last but not least, since you're starting a Google Shopping campaign, you may be interested in how to improve your store's search engine optimization (SEO). There are a few steps you need to take in order for your store to show up on Google search engine and improve your store's SEO. First, you need to verify your domain with third-party services. Once your domain is verified by Google, you need to submit your sitemap to them. Since you're an artist, one of the organic ways to improve your SEO is to create a blog on your store. By updating your blog content, it will encourage Google to crawl your sitemap. This, in turn, will improve your position on the ranking in the search engine.

These are the minor tweaks that can help you improve your store design. Before you start the ad campaign, don't forget to go through The Essential Shopify Store Launch Checklist and make sure everything has been set up correctly. The basics, such as payment gateways, shipping, and billing information are crucial to run an online store.

Now we've covered all the basics, let's chat about your digital marketing plan. Was there any particular reason why you go with Google Shopping ads instead of other methods? Also, I noticed that your store doesn't have any social media links. Do you have a Facebook business page or an Instagram business account? If not, perhaps it's worthwhile to check these methods out. They are great ways to connect with your audiences and followers. If you aren't sure where to start, come check out Shopify Academy. It offers great free tutorials on various digital marketing strategies, including the often-overlooked email marketing. Alternatively, if you feel comfortable, feel free to share your thoughts and experiences, I'd be happy to offer some pointers that can help you achieve your business goal.

I hope this information helps. However, should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reply back here and I'd be happy to help out!

Best,
Jason

Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!

1 Like
Tourist
10 0 4

Wow -- Thank you, JASON!! Especially for your time, I appreciate it.

The only reason I did Google Shopping was it was right there and I thought it would be good; but I really don't know about this stuff. Willing to learn and I will investigate the Shopify academy.

There is so much here and it will take time to go through it, which I will this weekend.

Thanks again, Christina

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
362 70 124

Hey, Christina (@artlover)!

It's my pleasure. If you run into any issues while updating the store or want some clarifications on the points, feel free to reach out at any time through this thread. I'd be happy to go over the details on how to edit the area in question step by step. 

Thanks for the context. Since you're new at digital marketing, I recommend you start with creating a Facebook page and an Instagram business profile for your business. These two are great free tools for you to engage with your audience as everyone nowadays typically use social media as a communication channel. You get to reach audience globally through organic interactions and posts. After the page and the account had been set up, come check out Facebook Ads for Beginners: Retention and Loyalty and Grow Your Business with Instagram. These great free courses go through the basic ins and outs of how to set up a Facebook and Instagram paid ad campaign. If you enjoy reading, Shopify also has a Facebook Marketing blog and an Instagram Marketing blog, both offer updated information on some of the frequently asked questions.

Keep me posted on your progress. Can't wait to see your updated store and discuss your new ad campaign!

Best,

Jason

0 Likes