copyright infringement for designs

Solved
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hey Shopify friends, I am brand new to shopify. I have created a store called Topp80sMovieTees - your favourite 1980 movie moments on a t-shirt. However, I think my designs might infringe on copyright law. I wanted to ask you, the community, how you can modify them sufficiently so they do not infringe? 

Is anyone else doing something similar where they have used popular culture - movies, actors, bands etc and created designs which might infringe and what did you do to get around it??

Thank you SO much.

Timo @ Topp80smoviestees

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
560 59 108

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Topp80stees,

Hyde here from Shopify.

While my response is no replacement for legal advice, to the best of my knowledge there is no process for modifying copyright material just enough to avoid copyright law. To sell branded imagery on a t-shirt you will need the relevant license and permits from the brands themselves. Anything less may result in you incurring legal action and even fines.

This is outlined in our Acceptable Use Policy, point number 6:

20-10-7ham2-gq6q4

We do also offer other merchants means of reporting suspected violations here, which is good for you to know. I should reiterate, this is not legal advice I am giving and I would definitely recommend seeking legal counsel on this matter. 

I hope this helps!

All the best, Hyde.

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi Hyde

Thank you so much for the reply. 

Timo

0 Likes