feedback please?

Shopify Partner
6 0 0

my store is https://www.department-one.com

It has only a little traffic from adwords. about 50 hits a day. high bounce rate like 80%. I also have not had people sign up to email list.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
584 54 117

Hey there,

Bo here from Shopify Support!

The first thing that I looked at here were your product titles descriptions. A lot of merchants adjust the description slightly from Oberlo and then post it to their page, I can't be certain but it does look like this was the case with your store. The issue with this is that the titles from Oberlo are often very long winded and actually rather incoherent. The reason for this is that they are trying to cram as many keywords into their titles so their products are easy to find, however, for a customer facing store this does not look good. It doesn't look very professional and those who are familiar with Oberlo/AliExpress will recognize the format. So while you have done a great job in curating the products, you do need to do some more work to market them better on your site.

I would consider filling out your product descriptions a bit more. One example of this I always refer to is NastyGal. NastyGal makes sure to have a little description on every product that 1) describes the piece and 2) projects the voice of their brand! Take a look at how they describe some of their products, each description shows personality and reflects their brand's voice. Finding a voice for your brand will help you gather loyal customers and even brand ambassador.

Taking a look at your About Us page it looks like it could be applied to literally any store. All clothing stores want to have the best most daring styles, they all believe that the customer comes first, what's so special about you? Why should the customer be buying from you? What an About Us page should be is a goal-oriented sales page, one that focuses on highlighting the biggest selling points of your story and brand, making a strong impression on curious customers. It is the perfect place to highlight a number of objectives such as:

•  Communicate the story of your business and why you started it.
  •  Describe the customers or the cause that your business serves.
  •  Explain your business model or how your products are made.
  •  Put a face to your business, featuring the founders, or, the people on your team.
  •  Incorporate persuasive content (e.g. an explainer video, data visualizations, links to blog posts) that might otherwise clutter your homepage.

I would also make sure that when you list your Instagram page anywhere in your site that you actually link it also, people are not going to search for your username but they are more likely to click on a link. You can read up on doing so here.

Consistency is key when making a page look professional if a page doesn't look professional the customer loses trust in it. In your navigation make sure that each link has the first letter capitalized, or, make sure none of them do. This mismatched style makes it look like it was done as an afterthought and leaves an unfinished, unprofessional look to the page.

Trust is the most valuable currency you can have on an online store. If a customer feels that they can trust a store they are much more likely to buy from it. Having the option to leave a review really helps build that trust with customers. Genuine, positive reviews will encourage customers to look at you as someone they can trust, someone who cares about their customers, and someone who is willing to go the extra mile for an exceptional customer experience. Seeking out online reviews have become such a standard part of the buying process for people these days that every online retailer needs to be thinking about them. Here are some statistics for you to consider:

• 70% of customers consult reviews or ratings before making a final purchase. (PeopleClaim)
  • 63% of consumers are more likely to purchase from a site if it has product ratings and reviews.
  • 67% of consumers read 6 reviews or less before they feel they can trust a business enough to make a purchase. (MarketingProfs)
  • As many as 79% of consumers trust product reviews as much as a personal recommendation.

What I would recommend in your case is adding an app such as Ali Reviews to your store as it imports all the available reviews for your products from AliExpress and displays them on your store as though they were your own. This app can be found in our fabulous little app store, the home to all of our best apps!

Let me know how this goes and if there is anything else I can assist you with, I'm happy to help!

All the Best,

Bo

Bo | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

how much would it cost outsource that work?

0 Likes
Tourist
17 0 3

Hi there,

Just noticed that you included a small email sign-up popup when visitors first land on your site. I think the form is quite uninviting to me. Why should I subscribe to you? I don't know anything about your site yet, so why? If you use this type of popups, I think it'd be better to give out some incentives like 10% discount code?

If you don't want to give out coupon codes for financial reasons, then let your customers explore your store first, engage them then ask for the subscription.

Ok, this sounds biased but I think you should try out new free app SiteKit.

SiteKit helps you create a targeted header bar on top of your store. It is highly visible but it won't disrupt your customers' shopping flow. And you could collect emails with a quick email opt-in form right on the bar. As the app is free, why don't you give it a try?

SiteKit - a full conversion booster platform with every promotion tool you need: https://www.getsitekit.com
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

When you first go to my site? It's mailchimp exit intent popup. I don't know why it loads on when you first get there.

0 Likes
Tourist
17 0 3

Maybe you should check the setting again? The exit-intent technology is triggered when visitors hover their mouses near the exit or change tab. The problem is it popped up when I was scrolling down your site. Customers would just turn it off to continue browsing your store unless you offer more exciting incentives there. 

SiteKit - a full conversion booster platform with every promotion tool you need: https://www.getsitekit.com
0 Likes
8 0 0

Hi there,

I outsourced springbord's product description writing services few months ago. Descriptions provided by them were unique, relevant and optimized for search engines at an affordable cost. They used target keywords in appropriate density and thereby increasing the click-through rate. Just give them a try!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

any ideas where to hire a person to redo my descriptions and titles?

0 Likes
8 0 0

Hi Chase,

Images play an important role in ecommerce store and that aren't optimized can affect site perfomance and conversions. I faced a similar situation few months ago and hence outsourced springbord's image optimization service. They delivered images completely optimized before the expected deadline and at an affordable cost. Now I don't get any image optimization issues.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

Maybe you should check the setting again? The exit-intent technology is triggered when visitors hover their mouses near the exit or change tab. The problem is it popped up when I was scrolling down your site. Customers would just turn it off to continue browsing your store unless you offer more exciting incentives there. 

I changed the setting hopefully works right can you go the site to see if it works? or anyone?

0 Likes