help!!how to get traffic and marketing adult (sex) toys store!

2 0 0

hello everyone!!

My name is Nawny and i am the owner of a beautiful sex toy shop called Pinky Promise (pinkyxpromise.com). We have been open for maybe 3 weeks now. It has been difficult marketing our product as we sell sex toys, i have done a couple ads on facebook, have made 1 sale and get some traffic but not much. I am wondering if any of you could give us some suggestions, why this is no sales, does our website look reliable? products look decent and price good attractive? we are new to this industry and also ecommerce store and online marketing. if i could get some help with directions and suggestions that would be great!

thank you so much

xoxo Nawny!    pinkyxpromise.com

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
427 11 38

Hi, Nawny!

Katy here from Shopify. I hope all is great with you and welcome to our community!

First of all congratulations on getting your store set up- and on your first sale too. That is indeed an achievement to be proud of. 

I have taken a look at your site and can see that you have put quite a bit of work in so far. I'm happy to help offer you some tips and suggestions below. Do feel free to let me know if you have any questions on any of these. 

One of the first things that I see when visiting your site is your logo which at the moment appears quite blurry or out of focus. I would suggest to fix this image as it is what will best represent your brand. A logo is something that your customers will associate with your brand and your store. Keeping this crisp, catching and relevant to your store is what we are after here. Having it easily recognizable and not blurry or out of focus will also increase your brand's credibility.

I would also advise to make sure that all of your product images are the same size. I have noticed that there are discrepancies in your collections.  It's good to even these up, to create confidence in your brand, as well as making it look visually appealing for those browsing.

As I continue to navigate your store I am met with clothing products marked as recently purchased items: examples here and also here.  This does not seem to be in line with the rest of your products. Do you have a collection for sweaters, or is this something you are looking to expand on? It may be an error here, but one that is definitely something worth addressing as it takes away from your store, brand and the items that you are actively trying to promote. In line with this, some of your imagery would also suggest that you sell lingerie. This does not appear to be the case on your site, from what I can tell? It's important not to deviate away too much from the items you are selling. Selling online, you do not have a sales representative, so your products will quite literally need to speak for, and represent themselves.

I notice that you have a Valentines day special. This is great to see, and could well generate some sales for you given the nature of your market!  Although on your home page (which is good) it remains tucked away to one side. I would be inclined to give this some more prominence. Perhaps in you could include it in your navigation bar or as part of your banner or slider? You may also like to offer a sale for some of these items in the lead up to this period.

It's interesting that you have been running Facebook ads, as the sale of adult products/services are generally against their policy.  For this reason it can take that bit more effort to promote your items via social channels given their community guidelines. In this case, oftentimes it can help if you build your own community around your brand. We have some excellent guides on how to do so here for example. This could involve: creating a blog, email marketing, attending pop up stalls relevant to your market, bridal parties - all which may get the word out about your brand, and what sets this apart from others selling similar items. In addition, there is also an excellent guide on Twitter marketing here which you may like to have a look through.

There are also some questions that I would like you to consider when helping to build on the marketing that you have done so far- this will help you when gauging what is working or what doesn't quite seem to work for your business:

Whom had you been promoting your items to so far, or from where did your sale come from? From the traffic you have, do you notice a pattern or increased traffic from a certain location over others? Has this been in line with the promotions you have been running? It's a good idea to get to know your target market, and the locations you will be targeting. Then for example you could offer discounted or free shipping to this location. 

Finally I would also suggest to add a contact us page to your site. This is something that is important for your customers in terms of trust. When shopping online, a contact page / method of contact is something that I do scan for - whether I have questions or not. However, your customers may genuinely need to reach you with their questions too.

I hope these tips and recommendations help you out on your journey - and that you see some extra sales coming through soon!

All the best,
Katy

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

hi katy. i appreciate you taking time out to review my store and give detailed feedback with examples. your feedback helped so much. i realized that my logo is blurry a while ago and i am in the process of getting a new one professionally made. I agree it will increase my brands credibility and to be more trustworthy for my customers. 

The pop ups with the random clothing products are not mine. as i was setting up something on my site i got an ad for an app called Instant Traffic. its ment to share products. i was under the impression that it would be similar stores not random stores lol. i am so happy that you pointed that out. i immediately disabled the app. you stated that some imagery suggested that i sell lingerie. which imagery? I have pictures of couples, is that the imagery you are speaking of? I have pictures of toys as well and pictures of couples and people with toys. What kind of pictures would you suggest i use? 
This sentence, "Selling online, you do not have a sales representative, so your products will quite literally need to speak for, and represent themselves."  stuck with me alot. thank you
So far ive been promoting to mostly family and friends on facebook. i do have an instagram as well. My first sale came from my best friend. And i do need to add a contact page thank you so much. Is there anything else that you noticed. i appreciate you helping me with this so much.
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
427 11 38

Hi, Nawny!

Thanks so much for your reply, and I am so glad to hear that you have found each recommendation helpful. It's great that you are already taking steps towards your success with this too.

Regarding the imagery that suggests you sell lingerie, I was referring to the first two images on your slider for example. I understand that you would like to show couples here, but I feel that it does take a way from your products. Instead, you could perhaps use: images of your products, images from your blog (if you would like to incorporate this) or info discreet shipping services for example. This might be something to consider. I am also glad to hear that this sentence has resonated with you - it is something that is good to keep in mind when marketing your brand.

It's great that you are making sales already- this is good. I suggest to have a think about how you could further this beyond your social circles. Word of mouth is indeed a great marketing tool in certain instances, but you cannot depend on this. It would be good to build on your community by setting up a blog for example - this would also help with adding some more content to your site too. There are also some more tips on how to focus on some target marketing here too. 

In addition to my previous recommendations above, while you are working on these I would also suggest editing 'team' here to something else such as movement, or community for example. Team, for me implies that you might be hiring for your own team.

I hope this helps you out- and that you see more traffic coming to your store soon!

Cheers,
Katy

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes