what's wrong with my site?

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Hey there Shopify people! I need help! i'm new to Shopify and my website has been up for 4 months and i've only had 2 sales .i hired Kit to Market for me and while i got a lot of sessions ...no sales! Could you maybe look at it and tell me what could be improved? i could really use some advice! thankyou in advance!   darci-que.shopify     darci-que.ca

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
221 39 141

Hey there, @darci-que

First of all, welcome to Shopify! I know it can be daunting to launch a store, especially when you put a ton of effort into it and get so few sales. Let’s see what we can do.

In general, I would suggest using visitor behavior to drive those improvements. Visitor behavior through things like dynamic heatmaps (to see where people click and scroll) and session recordings (to watch what happened during a visit) help you see your store through your visitors’ eyes. It can show you exactly what’s stopping those conversions.

Moving on…

Let’s start with the homepage
It looks like your site is trying to accomplish too much at once. When I first came to your store, I thought it was a children’s book store. The hero image is so whimsical and fun, though I would update the messaging away from darci-que.ca. Also, add a CTA button.

As I scroll down though, I get lost. You sell original books for kids...and balloons...and cakes...and princess parties...and a bed and breakfast. These are great brands, but they shouldn’t live together in one Shopify store. You can’t do each brand justice this way.

You have an incredible talent, and it’s obvious that you’re an amazing artist. I don’t want that to be lost because visitors aren’t getting the most of all that you offer.

I would break these into separate stores or consider subdomains. You could group them together - children’s books and cards, parties and then your B&B.

The point is to give the attention to building your different brands and then building engagement for them. That’s going to be a better strategy than throwing it all on to one store. It will also let you define what’s local (i.e., the balloons, princess party, cakes and B&B) versus what could be shipped internationally (i.e., the books and cards).

Footer

• Newsletter: Don’t just put this up with no explanation. Add value to it. By separating the brands, you’ll be able to add specific value to the newsletter. For example, your children’s book newsletter may get a free book after every fourth order. Or your cake clients may be interested in a 15% discount off their first purchase. 
  • Social media: Make sure it opens in a new tab rather than the same tab.
  • Contact Me: Instead of your picture, add in a nice message encouraging them to contact you. Take out the phone number field - it’s often a field with a high abandonment rate.
  • Missing pages: Add in an About Us page as well as policy pages (i.e., Terms of Service, Shipping, Refunds, etc.). I know your About Us page lives in the main navigation, but it may be better housed in the footer.

Navigation & Product Pages

Your navigation is pretty straightforward, which is great. Use click heatmaps to evaluate your main navigation, especially as you evolve our brand and navigation as a result. Click heatmaps will show you where people click and where they aren’t click, and you can respond accordingly.

I would suggest watching session recordings to see how people navigate through your store. Do they land on your homepage, scroll a bit and then leave? Do they navigate to different pages? 

For products, namely the books, I would add a little more to your description. How many pages is it? What age would you suggest this is for?

Also, add in a place for reviews! Visitors love reviews from customers, and even though you don’t have many sales right now, add in a review option to encourage it with future reviews. 

I know it sounds like a lot, but I think by dedicating specific stores/subdomains to the distinct brands, you’re going to make it easier for you and your visitors. Your visitors will know that when they come to Darcie-Que Books that they are going to get to shop your books. When they go to Darcie-Que Parties, they’ll know how to book your princess party or order a local cake.

Visitor behavior is going to be a huge driver of changes. When you see exactly what your visitors experience, you get a new perspective on what could be changed and improved. Lucky Orange has heatmaps, session recordings and more with a free trial (no credit card needed) and plans that start at US $10/month.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Cheers - Danny

Proud to be a Shopify Plus Partner

- Was my response helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
790 17 223

Hi @darci-que !

Welcome to Shopify and congrats on your store!

1. Add call to action to your hero banner. Clear CTAs - help to show what to do next. Hero banner on your homepage is a key to make a connection with every visitor. You should clearly communicate what your website is about. Engaging images - you need them on your homepage to give visitors a sense of what your business is about. Images help you to tell a story and show visitors what they can gain from your product. For a product website think about how images can convey the value of your product and help your visitors to achieve their goals. 

2. I think your homepage is too long, make it shorter, and more intriguing your visitors.

3. Add more info in About us

4. If your website doesn’t have a blog already, make creating one a priority. But if you have a blog, it gives people a reason to keep coming back. Blogs also help improve your SEO because you’re constantly adding new content to your page. The strongest results came from the most frequent posts.

5. Try adding SEO related high search keywords in your title and product description so that it will be very easy to market your products and display them at the top in google search.

6. There are no trust badges, try adding them as trust badges help your customers know that your site is safe to shop.

7. The items on your store are something that will most likely be purchased by one person several times. For better customer retention I recommend using Rewards program by Growave, that will give out various discounts depending on how much a person has spent on your store or how many actions he/she has completed (left a review, shared the site, created an account, etc.)

8. Implement an opportunity to log in and sign up using Social Media account. We all have accounts at least in one social media. And if I have an opportunity to create an account just with one click, I will do it. having an easier way to Sign in will help you gather customer base. The most valuable thing for a company is the customer.

9. Social media has become a huge thing nowadays. I highly recommend taking advantage of that and adding Instagram galleries on your homepage. It will help drive traffic from your site on to your account and vice versa. 

10. Imagine if you saw something that you quite like in the store, however you want to browse more, get more options, and then choose the best one. That often happens to me, because I am indecisive. That is when Wishlist comes in handy. Since you have a lot of products on your site, I recommend adding that feature to improve the user experience on your site. Besides, if the items on the wishlist have not been purchased, automated emails will be sent out as a reminder. 

11. 90% of people read reviews before purchasing an item. I personally do not read the description too much, I go straight on to the reviews section because that is social proof. In my opinion that is essential for every site. I highly recommend (almost insist) and adding that feature on your site. You can use Growave for that, it offers automated emails within the Reviews feature as well. 

For adding the functions above you can several apps. However, if you want to get all of them at once just with a couple of clicks, try  Growave.

We have 6 great features -Reviews, Wishlist, Rewards, Social Login, Instagram, Discounts, etc. 

There is a free plan available.

Hopefully, I managed to help you. If so, please let me know by liking this post.

Growave is the all-in-one marketing platform that has
- Visual Reviews with automated emails
- Loyalty&Rewards
- Wishlist
- Instagram
- Social Login + more

Increase conversions with ease here
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Thankyou so much for your feedback! i just found it! lol! i will take all of your ideas and get cracking! this kinda had me doubting my work so thankyou!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Thankyou so much! I just found these helpful conversations today! lol! i will look into everything! i now have a blog and i have a strong instagram and facebook already and can be connected to them on my site but i will figure out how to get customers to sign up! everything is so helpful and i shall attack it! Thanx again!  darci-que

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Hey Danny! Holy! Thankyou so much! I will go through everything! I also just added my line of Kiddies onesies and tshirts for little kids! lol! even more to change! I get what you are saying about all i/we do.i will get it streamlined.Its funny but i'm getting a lot of orders for the balloons from my site! And they are local so i may just keep that page...Looks like i have lots to do! I was worried that my products were wrong for Shopify so ... you've made me feel better! Thanx again!!!!   darci-que

0 Likes