What exactly is the "Affiliate Plan?"

Solved
Shopify Partner
1 0 2

Hello,

I'm a Shopify partner and have launched a store for testing. However, I'm confused concerning the Shopify "Affiliate Plan," which is the payment plan listed under Settings for my live store.

What is the Affiliate Plan? Will I be billed monthly? Is the store fully functional under this plan, and if not, what functionality is missing?

I've searched and can find no information concerning this payment plan.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
246 9 39

Hi, @briel .

Morgan here from the Social Team at Shopify.

Thanks for reaching out about the affiliate plans! This plan is actually referred to as a "development store" in our documentation. That's likely why you weren't able to find much on it! Our Development stores include most of the features that are available on the Advanced Shopify plan. This plan is used to build shops for your clients, as a partner.

You can do the following while building and testing a development store:

-Process an unlimited number of test orders (for example, by using the bogus gateway)
-Process up to 50 non-test orders (for example, by completing a purchase through the online store using an active payment gateway)
-Create an unlimited number of unique products
-Create up to 10 private apps

However, there are some things that you can't do with a development store until you switch it to a paid plan, such as install paid apps (except for a selection of partner-friendly apps). 

This plan is free forever, or until 50 real orders are placed. At that time the shop will need to be moved over to a monthly paid plan as it's likely "in business" if it has processed that many orders.

So to answer your questions directly, yes the store is fully functional, no you will not be billed until after 50 orders, or once you've transferred it to your client. However, at that point when your client takes ownership, they will be the one billed. Lastly, here's a bit more on the development plan if you'd like to read further on it and how to transfer a store over to a client once you have finished developing.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns on this. I'd be happy to help.

Cheers,

Morgan | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like