Audit and benchmark Core Web Vitals performance for your store.. and your competition!

igrigorik
Shopify Partner
4 0 4

Web Vitals?

Today we are introducing a new program, Web Vitals, an initiative by Google to provide unified guidance for quality signals that, we believe, are essential to delivering a great user experience on the web... Measuring the quality of user experience has many facets. While some aspects of user experience are site and context specific, there is a common set of signals — "Core Web Vitals" — that is critical to all web experiences. - Introducing Web Vitals @ Chromium Blog

Today, we’re building on this work and providing an early look at an upcoming Search ranking change that incorporates these page experience metrics. We will introduce a new signal that combines Core Web Vitals with our existing signals for page experience to provide a holistic picture of the quality of a user’s experience on a web page. - Google Webmaster Central Blog

How do I audit Core Web Vital performance for my store, and.. my competition?

Try out the new (free) Core Web Vitals Dashboard app for Shopify! Preview...

092b9460f45e2d0139219c67c200df23

This app provides a built-in report into how real-world Google Chrome users experience your Shopify-powered storefront, as captured by the Chrome UX Report, and enables you to benchmark your site against a custom list of competitors with respect to each of the vital metrics. The user experience data is provided by Chrome UX Report and aggregated from anonymized Chrome users browsing the web.

FAQ

• There is no data for my storefront? Performance data is sourced from Chrome UX Report API, which provides coverage for ~7M origins on the web. Chrome UX Report may not have sufficient samples for your storefront at this time, but you can still use the app to audit how your competition is doing.
  • How is it able to track competitors? Chrome UX Report samples real-world user experiences from opted in users, anonymizes the data, and makes it available via the public API. This enables us to get a view into how real-world users are experiencing top destinations on the web.
  • Is this restricted to Shopify powered sites? No, you can enter any popular site to benchmark against, regardless of platform.
  • What are the Core Web Vitals? For full details, visit web.dev/vitals. tl;dr, it currently consists of three metrics: Largest Contentful PaintFirst Input Delay, Cumulative Layout Shift

Have feedback, suggestions, or bug reports?

The app is open-source and live on GitHub: https://github.com/igrigorik/shopify-core-web-vitals/ - tag me on GitHub, or here.

banned
Replies 6 (6)

Mircea_Piturca
Shopify Partner
1547 44 346

Wow! Happy to see Ilya Grigorik on this forum and also a really great APP from him.

Thank you!

Finally—Add variant descriptions to your products

FUCHA
Shopify Partner
20 2 0
  • wow thanks for the app @igrigorik! can't wait to give it a run
  • what's the app performance footprint like? (given you've developed it i'm guessing it has pretty low performance impact on a shopify install)
  • cha ching!
igrigorik
Shopify Partner
4 0 4

The net impact, in terms of user-facing performance, should be exactly zero. This is not due to any advanced wizardry on my part but because the app does not modify or extend the user-facing storefront in any way (i.e. no additional JavaScript, etc). The data is sourced from the Chrome UX Report API and the provided report is only visible to storefront admins when loaded.

banned
Trendychristian
Excursionist
18 0 2

Sir i added this app just now but it's not showing report of my store. "Chrome UX Report does not currently have enough data for this origin" message coming under my store name.

igrigorik
Shopify Partner
4 0 4

Yep, that's normal behavior for sites that may not have sufficient amount of traffic for Chrome UX Report API to assess performance in a privacy preserving way. As you store grows, you should see data come through on the dashboard, and in the meantime you can still use the report to get a feel for how competitor sites are performing. 

banned
laouacheter
Visitor
3 0 0