Why is my Shopify site speed score only 17 and how can I improve it?

QuinnAndLane
Excursionist
15 0 4

Can anyone help me pinpoint what I can change to better this? It seems to load fine for me. 

www.quinnandlane.com 

Replies 4 (4)

Simranjeet
Shopify Partner
79 9 19

Hi, 

Here are the main points I noticed which can help to improve the page speed - 

1. Some of the images can be optimized further. Try to resize them (img_url : "" ) to right dimensions will reduce the size.
  2. A lot of render blocking CSS, only put links in the head which are critical.
  3. Big CLS because of the slideshow images, this affects lighthouse score and UX as well.
  4. Heavy bytes of JS, remove the apps which are not very important.

Hope, this will help.

Thank you.

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
Do you need custom changes or want to boost site speed ? Hire me.
Feel free to Contact me on simranjeetsingh6076@gmail.com

Sim
Shopify Developer & Solutions Expert
QuinnAndLane
Excursionist
15 0 4

Thanks but I don't understand which areas you mean specifically so that's not much help. I get the slide show thing but the rest is totally over my head. Thanks anyway. 

Simranjeet
Shopify Partner
79 9 19

Hi,

Here are few things which can be done without digging into the code files. 1. Only use as few as slideshow images (also product images) and compress them with any online tool.  2. Remove unused Shopify apps installed in the store.  

Hope, this will help.

Thank you.

Sim
Shopify Developer & Solutions Expert

PageFly-Victor
Shopify Partner
7865 1785 3050

Hello @QuinnAndLane 

I recommend you take some time to read the information that Google has on how pagespeed insights creates it's score.

The metrics scores and the perf score are colored according to these ranges:

• 0 to 49 (red): Poor
  • 50 to 89 (orange): Needs Improvement
  • 90 to 100 (green): Good

To provide a good user experience, sites should strive to have a good score (90-100). A "perfect" score of 100 is extremely challenging to achieve and not expected. 

However, there are factors that affect store speed that you can and cannot control. What you CANNOT control are: your customer's device, network, and location, content delivery network (CDN), local browser cache, server-side page cache and the assets inside the content_for_header Liquid tag. What you  CAN control includes: apps, theme, images and videos, complex or inefficient Liquid code, font etc.

Please check this detailed guide: https://pagefly.link/drgtBbam We'll walk you through step by step to optimize your page speed. I promise it’s easy and it works.

If you find that guide is helpful. Please like to let me know and mark solution to helps other with this source of knowledge

Thanks you and best of luck!