Why is my Shopify site loading slowly and how can I fix it?

Merturk
Tourist
8 0 0

Hi!

I still haven't got my first sale (after 4 weeks) but I have still hope. I tried to fix my website design etc. (adding live chat, blog,...) but now is my loading speed really really slow. See attachement. What are the soultions? I don't know a lot about coding. Should I try to fix it myself or should I hire someone from fiverr to do it for me? I have a lot of apps dowloaded something like 35. (I don't us most of it) Could this have a effect on the speed?

my website www.homevioo.com.

Hope to hear some responses.

Mert

mobilel is 10

desktop is 37

Replies 4 (4)

oreoorbitz
Shopify Partner
242 29 129

I've had clients with a score of 8 that have very healthy sales, I'm a developer not a sales person, but the point is you can still have a successful shop despite being slow.

A big factor on how speed affects your bounce rate is where your clients are coming from, Americans will generally have faster internet then Indians for instance, so if your audience is primarily american, a slow site won't be a huge deal killer. 

You're site doesn't have  Field Data yet, PageSpeed Insights generates this data based off your actual user's different loading time, and it gives a sense of how users experience different loading metrics. I've had clients where their score is abysmal, but most of their clients load the site rather quickly, because they only have american clients.

That being said, if you want to increase your score, you want to get rid of EVERY app you aren't using.

Consider also removing apps you are using, but you feel aren't generating conversions.  Since you aren't getting any sales, I'd recommend you just get rid of every app that isn't essential, then as you start getting sales, add apps one at a time and see how they improve conversions.

Keep in mind when deleting apps, some apps will not automatically delete their code, so you'll need to go into the code and remove the unused code that is still being parsed by the browser, you'll probably want to hire a developer for this.

Available for freelance. I specialize in speed improvement and theme development.
https://www.upwork.com/fl/orionholmes

You can also contact me directly if you prefer.

jam_chan
Shopify Partner
891 23 171

Obviously, you've installed too many apps. If you remove unnecessary apps, the performance should be improved.

From a quick test of Google PageSpeed Insight, more than 4s is taken from unused javascript files. These js loadings are caused by your apps. 

After you clear your apps, you can test again to see how it performs

BYOB - Build Your Own Bundles, SPO - SEO App to research keywords & edit social link preview

Not applicable

Having only a few apps installed can cause a severe impact to page speed - we found that even installing a few apps caused some pages to slow down by as much as 6 seconds. Apps cause major issues - always use custom development when possible for your site features!

Check out this case study if you're interested: https://speedboostr.com/how-apps-affect-load-speed/

songalvez2
Visitor
1 0 0

A large volume of unoptimized images is usually the most common reason behind website slowness. High-resolution images can consume lots of bandwidth while loading. Uploading larger sized images and then scaling them down can unnecessarily increase the size of your web page – causing your website to load slowly.

At any given level, a web server can only support requests from a certain number of people. Once that number is surpassed, the page will load slower. The more visitors, the slower the website. With more visitors, the server providers might also need to devote additional resources to the website.

Slow site speeds can result from network congestion, bandwidth throttling and restrictions, data discrimination and filtering, or content filtering. If you notice slow speeds when visiting your site, you can run a traceroute between your computer and your website to test the connection