21 Jan. USPS said no more First-Class International Mail for sellers, help!

Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 2

My products are around 1.2 ounces and are under 3/4 inches, because of this I was able to do USPS International First-Class Mail and shiping was only around $5 each order. Now they USPS does not allow you to use it for businesses the cheapest option is USPS International First-Class Package, which is around $13. I could tell something was wrong on the 22nd of January because my orders have dropped almost in half since most of my customers are overseas.

I have talked to shopify about setting up Weight Based shipping rates (they might be cheaper) but I still haven't figured it out. Do I have to set up a rate for every country or can I set it up for all of them at one price? If so how do I figure out that price? I feel blind trying to figure this out since it is all "greek" to me.

Thanks ahead of time.

Terry

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
253 1 25

Hi there Terry!

My name is John and I'm a Guru here at Shopify!

I'd like to give you some general info and guides here on how to set up weight-based shipping rates in your Shopify admin. :)

You mentioned in your post here that you'd like to be able to set rates for multiple countries at once; which you can do by using a shipping zone.

A shipping zone is a designation that tells the platform to apply rates across all countries or territories included in this zone. You might make a zone for Europe, another for Africa and so on to apply rates that reflect the cost of shipping to these places.

Once you have created a zone or zones like this, you can move on to applying shipping rates within these zones. :)

Within the Shopify admin, these rates are price- or weight-based. You had mentioned you wanted to look into applying a weight-based rate on your store moving forward; so there's a couple of things you'd need to do in order to make this work out.

The first would be to weigh your products and set the weight of each product and its variants via the product page in the admin.

The next would be to determine the cost of shipping a given weight via your carrier of choice. This is something you would need to research outside of Shopify as we don't provide shipping services directly here ourselves. :)

Once you have selected a service you wish to use to ship your goods and received the prices they would require per weight of goods shipped; you can return to insert these rates into your shipping zones in settings > shipping as above.

Just be sure to charge enough for shipping rates to cover your costs or you will end up paying for your customers' shipping!

One final point to be aware of in this situation; be sure to check out the default package being used in your shipping settings as the weight of the package involved can often be overlooked leading to errors in shipping rates.

Best of luck with everything here!

Regards,
John

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 2

John thanks for the info. The problem I have is finding the correct shipping cost for those zones under 8 ounces from USPS.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 19

Have you tried the USPS price calculator and checked the prices based weight? I did a quick test with it and even then got a rate for First Class Package International Service(unfortunately that's the cheapest) : 

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 10.12.30 AM.png

And this is pure weight based shipping. Another alternative can be if you start using your own USPS account. With volume you should be getting discounted rates, and then slowly using the existing Shopify integration or using the Multi Carrier Shipping label app, you can start getting negotiated rates.

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes