A definitive answer on PayPal Express fees?

Highlighted
4 0 3

Store Information:

• Shop based in US
  • Shopify Payments Turned On
  • PayPal Express Turned On
If a customer pays with PayPal Express do I pay Shopify any fees (transaction or other)? Or do I just pay PayPal its fees?

I've had a next to impossible time finding an answer to this. At first customer support said I would have to pay the .5%- 2% transaction fee, but then when asked to verify they said I would not pay any Shopify fees. It seems like Shopify would be promoting this more as a selling point if you didn't have to pay any fees to Shopify but I can barely find anything on it even when searching the internet.

If a Shopify Staff member can once in for all verify this I think it would help a lot of us out.

Thanks
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
140 14 25

Hi, @frozen_tundra!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify.

As PayPal sets their own fees, so for an answer on what you'd be charged from them, you'll need to contact PayPal directly. In regards to what Shopify will charge, that will depend on if you're also using Shopify Payments or not.

Essentially, if you're using Shopify Payments along with any other gateways, you'll only be charged the fee set by the gateway that the customer used. For example, if you have Shopify Payments, PayPal and Sezzle set up, and the customer paid via PayPal, you'd only be charged PayPal rates. Again, if they paid using Sezzle, you'd only pay fees to Sezzle. Depending on what plan you're on, you'll be charged a fee for using Shopify Payments, if that's how the customer paid. For information on what fees are charged for these transactions, check out our pricing guide, and check the fees for your plan.

If you're not using Shopify Payments at all, then you would be charged the third-party's fees, plus a fee from Shopify. Again, this depends on what plan you're on, so check out the pricing guide linked above. These fees range from 0.5% to 2%.

I hope that help to clarify the fees associated with Shopify Payments and other gateways. I'd also recommend checking out our guide to charges with Shopify as well: https://bit.ly/2W4kHz6.

If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to reply to this thread.

Thanks!

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes