Accepting Payments for a US Business for non-citizens

hackagenie
Tourist
3 0 0

I need help setting up a payment gateway for my US Business. I recently got an email from Shopify Payments saying they can't support my Business Model (Dropshipping btw). Can anyone help me setup a Payment Gateway. I am already getting traffic to my store since I was migrating over from WooCommerce. I used PayPal on my old WooCommerce store but they have a habit for randomly holding funds which is really inconvenient as suppliers need payments to ship. 

Need help setting up an alternate gateway on my Shopify Store. 

Replies 5 (5)

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Hey, @hackagenie. I can help!

There is an extensive list of the third party gateways available to use in the USA that integrate with Shopify on the Online Payment gateway page. I encourage you to do your own research into which one will best suit your business needs. But as a place to start, some of the more popular ones are:

Please contact any of the providers that you are interested in directly, if you have questions or need a hand setting up your account with them. Once you have made your decision and set up your account, configuring it onto your Shopify store is simple. Just follow the steps in our Help Docs to activate a Third-party gateway or Alternative payment methodLet me know if you have any other questions about this. I'm happy to help.

What types of products are selling with your dropshipping business?

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

hackagenie
Tourist
3 0 0

Hello Helen. Thanks for the reply and getting back to me.

I had checkout out Stripe and 2Checkout who said I'm high risk and both referred me to PaymentCloudInc. However, with payment cloud they need a US Citizen. So, currently looking for a US Business partner but then it's really hard to find a serious business partner who one can trust online.

I am selling home and office products, with electronics now and there. I do plan on diversifying though into a one-stop shop for buyers. My store, https://storepaperoomates.myshopify.com 

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

I see! So, do you not live in the USA, @hackagenie? Even though you’re selling your products to customers in the USA, the payment gateway that you activate on your store will need to be integrated within the region where you live, and are running your business from. 

Which country are you located in? Please choose your country of residence on the Online Payment gateway page to see the options available in your region. Setting up an account with one of the gateways listed for your current address will then enable you to have a payment gateway on your store. 

Let me know if this helps!

hackagenie
Tourist
3 0 0

Yes, unfortunately. I do however have a US Business partner living in the US who handles most of the fulfillment and shipping. I sell to almost all countries but mostly in the Middle East, Oceania (Australia and New Zealand), the UK and the US. Most customers in that order.

The available option where I live is currently PayPal, but they don't support drop-shipping, or so we were told when they decided to permanently limit our Account when we started expanding. I was looking a for payment processor that would be able to support drop-shipping without randomly deciding we are high risk and terminating our account without notice. My US partner did check out a few from the payments page but was told, drop-shipping is high risk and they can't support it.

I do know a few drop-shipping stores that get accepted and feel like they kind of sneak in, which is something I don't really plan on doing since it's damaging in the long run. 

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 285

Gotcha, @hackagenie! I’m sorry to hear you’re having such a difficult time finding a payment gateway. Have you spoken with Paypal directly regarding their decision to limit your account? As far as I know, they do support dropshipping businesses, however there are a number of factors they consider heavily. Therefore, as a next step, I suggest reaching out through their Help Center, and having a conversation with Paypal directly to determine what went wrong, and how to resolve it so that you can continue to use their gateway on your Shopify store. 

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.