Add A List Of Cities To A Country In Shipping Addresses.

13 0 0

Hi, 

I want to start local delivery in my own country besides the intedrantional shipping I currently do.

In order to do that I need to create a drop down menu of Cities for country Lebanon ( similar to the stastes drop down for the US) in order to calculate delivery charges for different cities or possibly restrict delivery to certain cities by not listing them.

How is this possible to achieve? My theme is Debut.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
370 10 33

Hi, Minlubnan!

My name is Ava, I’m one of Shopify’s Gurus and I’m here to help :)

At the moment, Lebanon cannot be divided up into different states like the US can

The majority of countries in the admin cannot be divided up this way, the shipping rate is set to give a rate for the whole country rather than a specific area within that country. Hopefully, we will have a better solution for this in the future! 

In the meantime, you can use a shipping app to set rates for specific areas/zip codes. You could even add rates for specific products with an app like this!

* Delivery Rates by Zip Code
 * Parcelify
 * Better Shipping
 * Advanced Shipping Rules

In order for these apps to work to their full potential, you would need to install a feature called Carrier Calculated Shipping. This is a paid feature, feel free to reach out to support@shopify.com, or start a phone call/chat with our support team here on how best to install this feature on your store!

As this is a request several of our merchants have, I have gone ahead and added a request for you with our developers for a future feature. Hopefully, this will be something we can offer directly from the admin, without the use of an app. While we would not have a specific timeline for when that would happen, you can definitely keep an eye on our announcements page. We will post any new updates or developments there!

Let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help!

Ava

Social Care Guru | support@shopify.com

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
13 0 0

Hi Ava,

Thank you for your reply.

I was wondering if i can seek the help of a Shopify expert to customize the "drop down cities" feature for me. or is it something over complicated and we should wait for shopify to develop it internally?

Regards

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
370 10 33

Hi again, Minlubnan!

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm afraid this is a current limitation with the platform is designed, so a Shopify Expert would not be able to help here. At the moment, the shipping settings can only allow for a shipping rate for the whole country, rather than specific regions of that country. In order to have rates for different cities in Lebanon, you would need an app like the ones I mentioned above. After that, you can offer rates for different cities, your customers can then select that rate at checkout when they reach the shipping page.

In order to have a drop-down list here for Lebanon like you would for the US - 

You would need access to the checkout.liquid in order to add a custom field, which would not be possible at the moment. We are unable to make edits to the checkout.liquid, as this keeps our checkouts secure. So this is not something that could be done, even with a Shopify Expert.

I would recommend going for any of the Shipping apps I've mentioned above, they will let you add custom rates per area which the customer can see once they reach the Shipping section of the checkout!

Let me know what you think :)

Ava

1 Like
13 0 0

Thank you Ava,

You clarified everyhting to me. I think I will go as suggested.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
370 10 33

No problem at all, happy to help!

I know this is not the ideal answer, but this workaround should work for you. Also, if you install Carrier Calculated Shipping, you may end up saving quite a bit of money. Carrier Calculated Shipping would give the best rates of the day. For example, if you had shipping set at $10, the best rate that day might be $7, so you would pay less in Shipping. There is a guide here on how to set those rates up! 

You could also offer your own shipping rates via the shipping apps, the apps would just need to CCS functionality in order to work correctly. So the choice is yours!

I'd suggest reaching out to our helplines here to find out how to best add this feature to your account. Alternatively, can an email to support@shopify.com using the email address listed as the account owners. Once you have done that, you can pop back here and let me know the support ticket number you were assigned (which will be emailed to you). That way, I can pick the ticket out of the queue and chat with you directly about this!

Let me know what works best for you :)

Ava

0 Likes
13 0 0

Hey Ava,

I'm afraid I won't be able to benefit from the best rates of the day as this does not appy here in Lebanon. Also the deal we have with the shipping couriers is based fixed rates so i'd better keep my own rates as they are. 

In all casses, once I calculate my new expenses of the calculated rates feature and the app fees I will proceed and let you know.

Thank you for your help :)

0 Likes
13 0 0

Hi Ava, I think that I need your help once again. 

With reference to the above discussion on how to set rates for local delivery in Lebanon where no areas/cities list is provided by shopify, you advised that I should install CCS and then use an app to make this happen. I just installed CCS and was looking for an app to do the rest, but it seems that apps only work on postal codes and not Cities. Here in Lebanon we do not use postal codes and people are not familiar with zip/postal codes. What do you think? is there any workaround? so far i got the answer of 1 app that they cannopt not do it. 

Please advise.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
370 10 33

Hi again!

Ava here, so sorry for the delayed response here.

I've done some digging into this for you. I'm afraid we can’t edit the checkout to add extra regions for shipping. If the apps I've suggested only work specifically on zip codes/postal codes rather than cities, there is not a lot of other workarounds I can suggest. You could always reach out to a Shopify Expert to build a custom app that links into Carrier Calculated Shipping and can work off of cities rather than zip codes. You can post a job on the Shopify Experts Page and see what feedback and quotes you get. You can find where and how to do this here.

I'd also recommend reaching out to the support team for any of the apps you were thinking of using. If you can explain to them the specifics of shipping in your country, they may be able to make a customization for you to make their app work for your business. A lot of app developers would be happy to make these customizations, though some may charge a small one-off fee. So it's well worth having a chat with them!

I can definitely file a frustration for you on this issue with our development team though, just so they are aware this is a pain point for your business. I'm sure this is also a pain point for other businesses too, so hopefully, we can offer more advanced shipping options directly from the admin in the future. 

Thanks so much for your patience! Do let me know what you think here.

Speak soon!

Ava

0 Likes
13 0 0

Hi Ava,

Actually I tried to contact major apps and explained my requirements but none was willing to do the extra tweak. Also I published it as a job twice but I got poor response who also declined the job after the second communication before we even discuss price or details. I still believe that this is as simple as copying the code of the US with the list of states and inserting it to any other country with blank or pre-populated states (Cities). I am not an expert or a technical guy at all but from my naive point of view I don't see that it is that complicated.

I read in related discussions that people were complaining that this feature was found in not-as-advanced conventional platforms where they were before moving to shopify and that they are considering quitting shopify for that. I think this should be escalated urgently because we are actually loosing our local markets, which we know the most.

Thank you Ava for your support.

Regards

0 Likes