Add Provinces/Counties for the United Kingdom

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 5

Hi,

I am reasonably new to Shopify but very happy with the system. One problem we have is Shopify not separating the United Kingdom into provinces/counties, like it does for the Republic of Ireland. As many members have said before on the forum over the last few years, the shipping costs for orders from mainland UK to regions such as the highlands of Scotland, or Northern Ireland is significantly higher than London addresses for example.

At the moment we have weight based shipping rates for the UK, with the same weight bands being used for "UK Mainland" and "Highlands, Islands & Northern Ireland". When a customer from Northern Ireland places an order they are given the UK shipping options, which are usually as follows:

• Free Delivery (UK Mainland Only) - Free
  • Next Day (UK Mainland Only) - £9.00
  • Next Day 'By 12' (UK Mainland Only) - £15.00
  • UK Highlands, Islands & Northern Ireland Delivery - £22.00

Obviously, the only shipping option available for a customer in Northern Ireland would be "UK Highlands, Islands & Northern Ireland", but there is nothing to stop them using a cheaper shipping option during checkout.

Is this feature likely to be added any time soon, or are we going to have to cancel, refund and nicely ask the customer to reorder with the correct delivery option.

Thanks in advance.

5 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
97 0 13

Hello,

You'll have to get an app to do this. Look at these:

I don't know if these support your carriers, but they do offer the ability to customize shipping rules based on postal codes. Also, it seems that you'll need the "third party calculated shipping rates / " Shopify feature, which is included in Shopify Advanced plan. You may be able to get it added to your account separately.

Good luck!

Todd

Todd - ShopClerk Order Tracking for Shopify - https://shopclerk.net
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 5

Hi Todd,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately third part calculated shipping is not an option as the cost of the Shopify Advanced plan is just not feasible for us at this stage.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
97 0 13

Yeah, it is a bit of a jump. I read on another thread that you can get that option added to your account for an additional $20 / month. Contact support and hopefuly they can help you.

Have a good weekend.

Todd - ShopClerk Order Tracking for Shopify - https://shopclerk.net
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
748 42 136

Hi, there!

Katy here from Shopify. Thank you for reaching out about this, and for sharing your concerns and feedback. This is really helpful to us here when continuing to build out our platform. 

I see that you have created separate shipping rates to help cater for each different pricing tier. However I can completely understand that customers in certain cases, could opt for the cheaper option, despite having an address outside of the specified region. 

While I don't have a timeframe on when this may be added to our platform at the moment, what I can and will do from here is add this as a feature request which informs our developers here internally. 

In the mean time, as @Todd has kindly suggested, there are a couple of App solutions which may help as a workaround.  An additional option to the list I would add is the Bespoke Shipping App - which specifies in UK shipping zones. 

These apps, do require that Carrier Calculated Shipping is added to your account in order to use them. While this can can be added for free with the Shopify Advanced plan, we do understand that this is quite a jump, especially when you're just getting started.  As Todd also correctly mentioned, it can be added as an additional feature to any plan for $20 per month. Or you can also add this for free with annual billing on any plan. Annual billing gives you a saving of 10% overall, so it might be something to consider.

The choice is of course totally up to you, and I understand that you would rather a in-built solution, though these workarounds may help you out in the mean time. 

In addition, I'm not sure if these areas are included within the top tier pricing in your shipping setting, but Islands such as: Guernsey, Isle of Man & Jersey can be set as their own country rate from within the admin. This may be helpful to you. 

I do hope that you are otherwise enjoying getting set up with Shopify. If you have any questions, or would like to run through these options some more- please let me know and I would be happy to help out!

Cheers,

Katy

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 5

Hi,

Thank you Katy and Todd for your contribution. I will take a look at adding CCS and the suggested apps and see if it is a good option for us.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Kate 

Is there any further progression being made with this for the UK and do you have a date when this will be made available as its been a year already? 

Thanks

Lisa

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 5

yeah, don't hold your breath...

i just found a topic from 2013 where "Shopify Staff" said this: "we do have a pending feature request to allow for different subregions of the United Kingdom" ... "I've put another push into that feature request on your behalf, and hopefully we can get it added in to the system in the near future."

and you will find countless topics with the same question and with the same "feature request has been sent on your behalf" response. This is their go to response for everything. 

It's 2020 now and still nothing. 7 years (and counting) to add a basic feature. 

5 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

Just to add to the last post made.

Any UK shipping issues that Shopify users may be having, don't rely on Shopify to do anything about any of it. These topics have been getting discussed for a LONG time and they do absolute ZERO about it.

They are too busy releasing Shopify Plus for a higher price point that no doubt offers these features (If you pay for it).

Get your finger out Shopify and just pay for the upgrades!

If I could find a better option elsewhere I would have cancelled by now, but you have people stuck cause there are no better options.  Nice.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Shopify Help - Where are you?

I was just reading your COVID-19 response:

Local pickup and delivery

Flatten the curve, while getting products into the hands of your local customers. If you can drop off orders, create a local delivery option only visible to customers who live in that zone. Early next week we will enable retailers using Shopify POS to offer in-store or sidewalk pick up for online orders.

It's a shame that you don't actually offer this.

1 Like