Add on items

Highlighted
1 0 0

I am looking for a way to make certain items add on only items. They are cheaper items that I only want customers to be able to buy them if they buy one of my main products. I haven't found a way to do this and if there is one help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
187 0 27

Hi Chris!

Diana here from the Shopify Support Team.

You can create your add-on products as you would any other product, but what you may want to do is use an upsell App like Upsell Hero by Booster Apps (or any of these other fine Apps available) and build an upsell based on those products. Then, just ensure that those add-on products are excluded from any collections on your site to make sure that visitors won't simply navigate to them and add those products separately. You may need to manually rebuild the 'All Products' collection to exclude the add-on products, but it should definitely be possible.

I've also tested using the Upsell Hero App to build an offer and then hiding the add-on product from the storefront using the 'Visibility' checkbox; it will still allow the item to be added to the cart, but if your customer then clicks on the add-on title, it will redirect to a 404, which isn't super-ideal. Possible, but not as elegant.

If neither of those options seem fitting, you can also talk with a Shopify Development Expert to custom-code a solution for you.

Hope this helps! :)

Diana | Shopify Guru ~ Contact Shopify 24/7 at support.shopify.com!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
145 0 27

Hi @Chris, you can hide some products from all collection pages, and then you can upsell these only as add-on products next to your main product on the product page, for example, using the Ultimate Upsell app. I made a video as an example with some makeup products sold as add-ons "à la carte". It's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4Gc8jWBXCc

I also made an example of how easy it is to insert add-on products as upsells inside the theme via the widget included in Ultimate Upsell.

Full Disclosure: I'm not selling my cat for real, it's just an example!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
145 0 27

Hi @Chris, you can upsell some add-on products next to your main product on the product page, for example, using the Ultimate Upsell app. I made a video as an example with some makeup products sold as add-ons "à la carte". It's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4Gc8jWBXCc

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
14 0 22

If, for example, I wanted to offer gift wrapping to individual items, I'd want the app to indicate which items should be gift wrapped and not make the customer specify in order notes. How can I do this?

0 Likes