Adding a mandatory phone number on checkout

Solved
Highlighted
1 0 0

I am operating my business in India and courier companies require the customer's phone number in order to confirm deliveries. Some courier companies also require an email address in addition to the phone number. Currently the checkout form only allows me to capture either the phone number or the email address. I went through the support pages but the mandatory phone number field seems to be removed. 
Could you please explain how I can make the phone number field mandatory and also provide and optional email field.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
1381 111 200

Hey @Perfumebaba,

Hope you are doing well!

I came across you post and there is a field with the name 'Shipping address phone number' that can be made required under Settings >> Checkout.

Please see attached screenshot for better understanding. Hope it helps! Please let me know of any further concerns.Required Checkout setting.png

4 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
223 43 62

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Perfumebaba ,

Dani here from Shopify!

This is a great question and @Qualitycheck is correct. You can actually set both phone number and email to be mandatory in your checkout settings. To navigate here go to Settings > Checkout. On this page in the Customer Contact section, if you'd like email to be optional select the option to let customers checkout with phone number or email. If you'd prefer email be mandatory then select the option that customers can only checkout with email. In the next section, you'll want to ensure that shipping phone number is selected as required.

You can mix these two sections to your liking to make both email and phone number required, or just phone number required with email as optional.

Let me know if you have any questions, or if you don't see these options in your checkout settings. I can take a closer look into your account if needed.

All the best,

Dani

Dani | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

4 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
1381 111 200

Hi @Perfumebaba,

If you find the comment useful then please like and accept the solution. 

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 7

Hi Team, 

Thanks for the solution, I have implemented it on our store and it works. Both email and phone number are mandatory.

Now I have another issue. When the customer adds their email address in the top (email or phone number) input box and their phone number in the bottom (phone number) input box with their billing address details, the email is stored against the customer record and phone number stored against the address record.

This is an issue with customer alerts when purchasing a gift card. They get the email alert of the purchase, but as there is no phone number against their customer record (only linked to their address record) they do not get an SMS/text alert of their order and link to their gift card. 

How can I keep the existing config for mandatory email and phone number, but ensure the address phone number is stored against the customer record (I am happy for it to stay with the address record and be attached to both customer and address or change so it is only against the customer record).

Thank you in advance. 

Mike

3 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi @Bevulus have you found a solution? we are exactly in the same boat and can't send sms notifications to customers because the phone number is not in their account data. @Dani is there a way to store collected phone number in the account details instead of shipping details? Thanks a lot.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 7
Hi @Physiocoder - no sorry nothing, we have had some real dramas with email
and phone in the Basic version when customers place an order.

We eventually went with forcing email in the top input box, but again face
the issue where the phone is attached to the address and our driver does
not easily get access. The only process we have at the moment is a manual
process prior to departure.
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I also want to send SMS to my customers but don't have many phone numbers, only email. Has anyone found a better workaround to add phone number to account details? thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Dani

I want to be able to make phone number and email mandatory during check out. I saw and implemented the requisite settings for when someone clicks on "ship" but what about pick up from a location? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi - In India, mobile number is of 10 digits but Shopify take 4 digits also. 

Is there a mechanism where we can make it mandate as 10 digit ?

Cheers,

Harshit Vij

0 Likes