Adding handling time to USPS

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 9
Capitalize on the mass exodus from Etsy. Shopify isn’t JUST for drop shippers. It’s nice to have more standard flexible options for people who actually MAKE what we sell.
2 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
523 1 8

Editing the handling time for different services(listings)is something which seems to me as a custom requirement. Fetching real time delivery estimates from USPS can be easily done with Shopify and also the Multi Carrier Shipping label app. However, most of the times, some minor editing is required. We are quite interested in this feature and would like to know more about this specific requirement so that an appropriate solution can be devised. Do contact us if you are interested.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 9
So, in thinking if it as compared to Etsy... when a client adds something to the cart- it calculates the estimated receives day. The day is calculated by adding the PROCESSING TIME+ with USPS (other other selected courier) estimated delivery days... together it will spit out an “estimated date of arrival.”
Furthermore, how it is helpful to the SHOP OWNER, it also will enable us to organize our order que by the date things should ship. Just as we would enter the weight for each item, we would enter the estimated processing time for each item. And in this way orders would be prioritized by production date. so for example some of the non-handmade items in my shop can ship the next day when someone put that in their cart, it would say two days processing plus say three days USPS delivery is five days on top of today’s date and it’s intuitive enough to know not to count Saturday’s or Sundays.
The client knows what the expected amount of time is to receive the item. I listed in my shop in the FAQ in the policies in the shipping even a per each item but it still doesn’t prevent clients from not being aware. I even add it to the checkout page they can’t check out without seeing the expected processing time. But because it doesn’t pre-calculate it for them they don’t take the time to count the calendar days plus the amount of days for USPS to ship.
As a shop owner how the current system is problematic to me, I process orders in the order received. However some of those orders really would only take one to two days to process. That means every day before I sit down to create my product for a custom order I have to do a search for each item that only takes two days. If the system was intuitive and would remember the products that I have together with the number of days it takes to process and frontload those at the top of the list in this way I could process orders in the order received but also in the priority they should be.
1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
523 1 8

We do have a concept called 'Automation rules' in the Multi Carrier Shipping label app. With this, you can setup rules for shipping based on different criteria like weight, order price, total quantity. In this, there is a possibility to add estimation days based on product type. This should enable you to setup the processing time which can be added to the USPS delivery times returned by the API. If this sounds good, you can contact our team privately. 

Regarding your second query, we have encountered many customers facing similar problems. Hence we came up with a solution in the Multi Carrier Shipping label app that would allow the store owner to snooze the order till a certain date. The order gets hidden from his view and pops up in the exact date. Rather than directly answering your query, i was just trying to suggest an approach change. Do you think this works for you?

Note : If you have a normal USPS account and want to fulfil orders, we recommend you to have go with Shopify's USPS integration as you would need an eVS account to work with the Multi Carrier Shipping label app.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I’m having this exact problem. 
Setting customer expectations is essential. FAQ pages and text on a product page goes unnoticed. 
On the back end, sorting by processing time would be a huge timesaver and would improve my ability to ship faster and meet some of those expectations. 

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 9
Fully agreed! I even changed the script at the checkout so that they know before purchasing again to anticipate processing time since my items are handmade.
So, for now I have made key search terms so I can search for groups of items that have a two day processing time versus a two week processing time. Hope that helps
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 9
Multi Carrier Shipping label app, is an additional $9 month and still really doesn’t solve the issue. further to pay for an app that then I have to write code for is also problematic. I don’t necessarily need clients to know once it’s shipped how many days it’ll get there. Because that can all be seen with their tracking number. I need them to know the downtime in between the order and the actual shipment, and then aggregate those two times...The processing time plus the shipping time. It doesn’t necessarily seem like something that should be custom or some sort of elevated request. Every shop needs to provide some level of expectation or understanding of when that item will be delivered to them not just how many days it takes to ship but the processing and the shipping together. These are basic and fundamental needs of every store owner and they should be provided for is an additional way to make each shop on Shopify successful. The processing time plus the shipping time. It doesn’t necessarily seem like something that should be Custom or some sort of elevated request. Every shop needs to provide some level of expectation or understanding of when that item will be delivered to them not just how many days it takes to ship but the processing and the shipping to gather. These are basic and fundamental needs of every store owner and they should be provided for as an additional way to make each shop on (Shopify) successful. additionally, for filling orders should have that built in to the system. Again I encourage you to check out Etsy. Look at what they offer sellers for free. And while the front the storefront may not be as elegant as a custom-made store front website, the backend is much more sophisticated than Shopify. But however that is just my experience. Comparing apples to apples there’s a lot that we can be done on Etsy without having to hire a programmer and spend additional money is for an app to do something that’s fundamental and necessary for the success of the business fulfillment. Shop a phi‘s shipping integration itself is awesome. Because it’s so wonderful there’s really no need to upgrade and pay additional money for a shipping program when Shopify already imports the client data and send them updated shipping and tracking information.
3 Likes